SIM Card & Bank OTP

Dan SG

Hi all

Sorry i know this question's probably been asked a hundred times but hope you guys can help me out.

I live in Singapore but come to bangkok quite regularly and have local expenses to do with a condo I own.  I have been banking with standard chartered for a few years - great bank and was able to do transactions online with an OTP that went direct to my singapore mobile.  Unfortunately they are closing this month and have sold the business to tisco who are unwilling to offer me an account as i only have a tourist visa.  Fortunately have managed last month to open an account with UOB and will have an online facility , however, they can only send the OTPs to a local number.  I don't have a thai sim (it expired about a year ago - and have just used wifi instead / roaming on subsequent trips).  I need to get a Thai sim now to carry out transactions on my UOB account and will be in thailand next month.  Can someone recommend what the best sim / network to get that:

1) won't expire easily - i.e. i can top up online using a visa card.  Or if i buy some top up cards and take them back to singapore with me will i be able to top up from there.

2) Will enable me to receive SMS messages in Singapore.  I assume I need activate data roaming, all i need is the SMS capability though - what is the cheapest / most efficient way of doing that without the expense of all the other stuff

3) the best place to go to get a sim & can talk to the staff easily to explain what i need etc i.e. not 7 eleven as they will just try and sell me a tourist sim that has limited validity.  I will probably be staying in Onnut or Sukhiumvit area.

Thanks so much for your help and sorry for the long winded request!

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

If this is an option for you: At Krungsri you can open a bank account with a tourist visa and you can get the otp to any number you want

Thanks wasn't aware of that - do you know of a particular branch and can you walk away with the internet login details straightaway or you have to wait for it to come in the post ( which wouldn't work for me as I am just coming for a few days and don't have a permanent address.

I've been in Canada, slipped my DTAC SIM into my phone, piggybacked automatically onto a local provider and gotten an OTP from Kasikorn Bank. Just have to make sure you call your Thai mobile provider and have them activate roaming. There's no cost to receiving an SMS worldwide.

1 hour ago, Dan SG said:

Thanks wasn't aware of that - do you know of a particular branch and can you walk away with the internet login details straightaway or you have to wait for it to come in the post ( which wouldn't work for me as I am just coming for a few days and don't have a permanent address.

Should work in every branch, i did it in BKK, a friend did it in Phuket. Walked in and after maybe 20 minutes, signing a few forms and paying a few baht for the debit card i had everything done, including internet banking. You just need to show them a rental contract for an apartment/condo/room of a friend or whatever of at least 6 months, they don't prove it so be creative ;)

Edited by jackdd

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Should work in every branch, i did it in BKK, a friend did it in Phuket. Walked in and after maybe 20 minutes, signing a few forms and paying a few baht for the debit card i had everything done, including internet banking. You just need to show them a rental contract for an apartment/condo/room of a friend or whatever of at least 6 months, they don't prove it so be creative ;)

Thanks mate. From what I've found the approach in different branches of the same bank may differ. Can you recall the branch in BKK you went to?

also Re their internet banking - so they will send the otp to any number even an overseas one?

10 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I've been in Canada, slipped my DTAC SIM into my phone, piggybacked automatically onto a local provider and gotten an OTP from Kasikorn Bank. Just have to make sure you call your Thai mobile provider and have them activate roaming. There's no cost to receiving an SMS worldwide.

Thanks - is it possible to top up credit from overseas with dtac ?

1 hour ago, Dan SG said:

Thanks mate. From what I've found the approach in different branches of the same bank may differ. Can you recall the branch in BKK you went to?

also Re their internet banking - so they will send the otp to any number even an overseas one?

I opened it at the Central Rama 9 branch.

See the attached picture

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-17 um 08.45.27.png