Investing

I am living in Thailand on a Retirement Visa and am interested in investing in the Thai Stock Exchange, more as a hobby than anything else.  Am I able to do this freely or would it be considered as working?  Wouldn't like to do anything that could cause me any problems!  Thanks in advance for any positive comments or advice.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Why invest in a country with a fragile economy run by a militiry wannabe <deleted>?

Stick to safe reliable blue chip shares that pay regular dividends. If you want a list of solid UK shares reply to me. 

I assume you are advising to invest in Sterling. Not sure this is a good idea the way sterling is continually falling and looks like it may well continue to fall until Britain has completed Brexit. I would be more inclined to go offshore and use a more stable currency.

2 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

I cant believe you are asking this que. Is investing in the thai stock market considered working. Use your logic next time. If you want to go and work at the stock exchange in Bkk then thats considered working. Jesus wept

His question is valid given the silliness of modern day Thailand.  Attending a non government sponsored trade show use to be considered working.  Believe exhibiting does require permission from the government for non Thais without Thai work permits.  No other Asian country does this, just the this one. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

I cant believe you are asking this que. Is investing in the thai stock market considered working. Use your logic next time. If you want to go and work at the stock exchange in Bkk then thats considered working. Jesus wept

Logic in Thailand! Oh yes, I forgot about all the logic here. :post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

His question is valid given the silliness of modern day Thailand.  Attending a non government sponsored trade show use to be considered working.  Believe exhibiting does require permission from the government for non Thais without Thai work permits.  No other Asian country does this, just the this one. 

Thanks for your reply and comments Yellowboat :smile:

Edited by Targus
Incorrect spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

I assume you are advising to invest in Sterling. Not sure this is a good idea the way sterling is continually falling and looks like it may well continue to fall until Britain has completed Brexit. I would be more inclined to go offshore and use a more stable currency.

They we're advising investing in the UK stock market, not currency. The UK stock market is doing very well regardless of Brexit.

23 hours ago, Targus said:

...living in Thailand on a Retirement Visa and am interested in investing in the Thai Stock Exchange...

Private investments are not work.

Some banks has online platforms to buy and sell stocks realtime at SET. I'm using SCB, and just you have a SCB account with ATM, you can easily open a SCBS-online account as foreigner (not a recommendation, just example, as I know about this one). When trading as foreigner you shall buy with the NVDR-option – no voting rights, can be set as default in SCBS-online platform, and probably also platforms from other banks – then you can freely trade. Moving money into your SET-account is instantly (within banking hours), taking money out, takes about 5 banking day before the money appear in your ATM account. Dividends are paid directly into your ATM account, less 10% withholding dividend tax.

I've been doing SET trading for a while – I'm a long term trader, no day trading – and SET has so far performed fine for me (of course depending of what you choose in your profolio), both for dividends and gains; I'm also trading abroad, so I have something to compare with, and little experience. A benefit is, that your investments and dividends are in Thai baht, if you are staying here and going to use the outcome in Thai baht, rather than speculating abroad with a risk for negative currency exchange rate deviations.

:smile:

• Like 2

I personally would not recommend having or putting any substantial funds into Thailand for just a bout any reason.  There are plenty of ways to invest in other countries.  I believe Schwab is somewhat easy to deal with internationally.  I use etrade as my primary broker and I do all my own stuff which isn't much, mostly just dividends and interest since my principal is pretty large.  I am an American.  I don't have any special knowledge about how a non USA person would invest in USA accounts, or likewise for other country tradings. 

If an IFA is an Independent Financial Advisor then the answer is Yes, there are plenty, but I cannot suggest a way to be certain which are not crooks. Possibly none.

My Thai partner mostly buys Thai SET index funds through Kasikornbank and KrungThai bank. By U.S. standards the percentages removed for admin are excessive and the unscheduled nature of the dividends is disconcerting, but overall he has done just fine. 

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Some banks has online platforms to buy and sell stocks realtime at SET. I'm using SCB, and just you have a SCB account with ATM, you can easily open a SCBS-online account as foreigner (not a recommendation, just example, as I know about this one). When trading as foreigner you shall buy with the NVDR-option – no voting rights, can be set as default in SCBS-online platform, and probably also platforms from other banks – then you can freely trade. Moving money into your SET-account is instantly (within banking hours), taking money out, takes about 5 banking day before the money appear in your ATM account. Dividends are paid directly into your ATM account, less 10% withholding dividend tax.

I've been doing SET trading for a while – I'm a long term trader, no day trading – and SET has so far performed fine for me (of course depending of what you choose in your profolio), both for dividends and gains; I'm also trading abroad, so I have something to compare with, and little experience. A benefit is, that your investments and dividends are in Thai baht, if you are staying here and going to use the outcome in Thai baht, rather than speculating abroad with a risk for negative currency exchange rate deviations.

Thanks for your comments, will look into that as I do bank with SCB:smile:

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thank you

On 17 September 2017 at 5:22 AM, SpeakeasyThai said:

Why invest in a country with a fragile economy run by a militiry wannabe <deleted>?

Stick to safe reliable blue chip shares that pay regular dividends. If you want a list of solid UK shares reply to me. 

Would be interested to hear your views on the blue chip shares paying regular dividends, many thanks

2 hours ago, Targus said:

Would be interested to hear your views on the blue chip shares paying regular dividends, many thanks

Ft 100 shares paying dividends100

SSE

BP

SHELL

GLAXO SMITHE KLEINE

TAYLOR WIMPEY

IMPERIAL TOBACCO

LLOYDS  BANK

HSBC BANK

AVIVA

BAE SYSTEMS

UNILEVER

There are also Investment trusts that pay dividends that have excellent track records of paying out.

22 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Ft 100 shares paying dividends100

SSE

BP

SHELL

GLAXO SMITHE KLEINE

TAYLOR WIMPEY

IMPERIAL TOBACCO

LLOYDS  BANK

HSBC BANK

AVIVA

BAE SYSTEMS

UNILEVER

There are also Investment trusts that pay dividends that have excellent track records of paying out.

Many thanks for the information