Retirement visa expired.

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Don't really on their terminology. There English is usually limited to referring to 'extensions' as Visas.

This is one reason you need to understand the difference between the conditions of a Visa and the conditions of your 'permission to stay' .

Doing a border run before your Visa expired would have given you a new 12 month permission to stay stamp, but if you wanted to leave and re-enter during that permission to stay period and your Visa expired in-between, then you needed a re-entry permit.

According to your stamps, you didn't do a border run, you left at a Cambodian border, then returned to the US.

No on one thing. I got a stamp at Cambodian boarder, returned to Thailand, then left for US. The stamp was from thai  at the border, was until 2018.

8 minutes ago, Jack james said:

No on one thing. I got a stamp at Cambodian boarder, returned to Thailand, then left for US. The stamp was from thai  at the border, was until 2018.

You got a Visa to enter Cambodia.

How did you re-enter Thailand?.

The last entry stamp in your attached photos shows an entry of 19th April, but has a departure stamp of 1st May.

Even so, you would still have required a re-entry permit as your Visa expired 4th May.

11 minutes ago, Jack james said:

You almost did it perfectly - just missed the "get a re-entry permit" step, to preserve the existing permitted-stay, after the 'enter before' date of the visa has passed.  Sorry to hear of your situation, and I hope your next Visa/Extension applications are not overly troublesome.

Schools ought to offer a 6-month course in "Thai Visa, Permission of Stay, and Extension Intricacies" - complete with an ED Visa to tide folks over when they arrive.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jack james said:

Thank you... That's the best explanation yet. I think my best option now is go for non o. Going for boarder run every 90 days no big deal. Thanks!

Unless your married to a Thai Jack, I don't think you'll qualify for a Multi entry Non Imm O Visa.

That Visa is valid 1 year, each entry valid for 90 days.

Border runs to obtain each 90 day permission to stay.

You may qualify for the single entry Non Imm O Visa at some local Embassies/Consulates. (UJ can advise)

Valid 90 days.

You'd have to apply for new Visas every 90 days though, not as easy as border runs.

The Non Imm O-A ME Visa is only obtainable back in the US.

Without knowing how long you stay in Thailand each year, or how much you travel, it's difficult to advise the best option to suit your needs.

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You got a Visa to enter Cambodia.

How did you re-enter Thailand?.

The last entry stamp in your attached photos shows an entry of 19th April, but has a departure stamp of 1st May.

Even so, you would still have required a re-entry permit as your Visa expired 4th May.

He could enter Thailand from Cambodia using the non OA visa and so would have been stamped in for one year, so until around 18th April 2018, unfortunately he departed on 1st May without a reentry permit, which we all know was the mistake, his visa enter before date was valid until August 2017.

A simple case of of misunderstanding / miscommunication.

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Schools ought to offer a 6-month course in "Thai Visa, Permission of Stay, and Extension Intricacies" - complete with an ED Visa to tide folks over when they arrive.

With a fully qualified, highly paid foreign teacher, with work permit, who understands the correct terminology.  

Maybe an opening for you there Jack. 

18 minutes ago, Mattd said:

He could enter Thailand from Cambodia using the non OA visa and so would have been stamped in for one year, so until around 18th April 2018, unfortunately he departed on 1st May without a reentry permit, which we all know was the mistake, his visa enter before date was valid until August 2017.

A simple case of of misunderstanding / miscommunication.

I was only stating that from the evidence of the photos he supplied, he had a departure stamp of 1st May.

There was no entry stamp after that date shown in the photos.

If he did indeed re-enter at Cambodia, (before 4th August) he would have entered on his current Visa and received a new 'admitted until........' stamp.

He could alternatively have flown from Cambodia to Bangkok and could have stayed airside.

It's immaterial anyway, what happened has happened. We all agree though he needed a re-entry permit.

Edited by Tanoshi

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I was only stating that from the evidence of the photos he supplied, he had a departure stamp of 1st May.

There was no entry stamp after that date shown in the photos.

If he did indeed re-enter at Cambodia, (before 4th August) he would have entered on his current Visa and received a new 'admitted until........' stamp.

My understanding is that he departed Thailand in to Cambodia sometime in April, then departed Cambodia back in to Thailand on 19th April, departing Thailand to USA on 1st May as per the stamps posted, he then returned to Thailand after 4th August, which was the last date to enter by for his OA visa.

Not sure that there was any other travel Thailand - Cambodia - Thailand after 19th April?

As you say, it is immaterial now.

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

My understanding is that he departed Thailand in to Cambodia sometime in April, then departed Cambodia back in to Thailand on 19th April, departing Thailand to USA on 1st May as per the stamps posted, he then returned to Thailand after 4th August, which was the last date to enter by for his OA visa.

Not sure that there was any other travel Thailand - Cambodia - Thailand after 19th April?

As you say, it is immaterial now.

You could be correct Matt.

Buggered if I'm going back 7 pages to confirm dates.  :sad:

Current status is it's Sept now and the OP has a 30 day Visa exempt entry.

What are his best options now is all that remains  

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

What are his best options now is all that remains  

Very true and he has confirmed he would prefer to go for a ME non O visa with border runs every 90 days and the question came up if he could actually get one based on retirement, you certainly can if applying as UK resident pensioner in London, not sure if the same is possible at one of the official consulates in the US or a Thai embassy in a neighbouring country??

If not, then his only other option is a SE non 0 followed by an extension of stay, or traipse to an Embassy every 90 days, not something most would relish!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mattd said:

Very true and he has confirmed he would prefer to go for a ME non O visa with border runs every 90 days and the question came up if he could actually get one based on retirement, you certainly can if applying as UK resident pensioner in London, not sure if the same is possible at one of the official consulates in the US or a Thai embassy in a neighbouring country??

If not, then his only other option is a SE non 0 followed by an extension of stay, or traipse to an Embassy every 90 days, not something most would relish!

He could return to the US for another O-A Visa, or,

apply for a conversion of Visa as a prelude to obtaining an extension of stay based on retirement, but that depends on his financial situation.

23 hours ago, Jack james said:

Thank you... That's the best explanation yet. I think my best option now is go for non o. Going for boarder run every 90 days no big deal. Thanks!

As mentioned before very few countries issue a Non Immi O multiple entry visa (different to the "Non Immi OA -M") these days.

Perhaps? only the UK to State Pensioners?