Work Permit for Indian national

Hi, I am an Indian lady. I mean to work for a company co-owned by my sister and her would-be husband, they are getting married next month and I am meaning to stay with them and even work for them! Can anybody please tell me where I can read about the work permit process. How much time it takes when my employer applies for it on my behalf? And what is the cost? Any rough information will do. And < if there are any hitches Indian nationals can encounter during the process because of variable treatment policy.>Thank you very kindly!

A problem for you might be that Indians have to apply for visas in their home country. (Not sure if you can convert to a Non-B in country).

Obviously your sister/brother-in-law's company will need a minimum of 4 employees for each non-Thai employee, (unless BOI and then the requirement can be less).

You will have to be paid the minimum salary for your nationality to enable you to get extensions of stay, (at least 35k a month).

The information you have provided is insufficient.

When you say work for your sister and her would-be husband, do you mean work for their company?

What is the nationality of the would-be husband?

Has the company already been registered?

Regardless, you will need to apply for a non-B visa at Visa Application Center (VFS) at one of the many locations across India.

The company will need to provide a list of supporting documents for the visa.

You can check the list at the VFS website: http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in/Delhi/pdf/Revised-Checklist-for-NON-B-Business-For-Employment-final.pdf

5 hours ago, varun said:

The information you have provided is insufficient.

When you say work for your sister and her would-be husband, do you mean work for their company?

What is the nationality of the would-be husband?

Has the company already been registered?

Regardless, you will need to apply for a non-B visa at Visa Application Center (VFS) at one of the many locations across India.

The company will need to provide a list of supporting documents for the visa.

You can check the list at the VFS website: http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in/Delhi/pdf/Revised-Checklist-for-NON-B-Business-For-Employment-final.pdf

Varunji, Thank you every so much for your help. My brother-in-law-to-be is a Thai national. Are you sure I have to attach all these documents mentioned in the pdf file to my application at the consulate in Mumbai?

5 hours ago, varun said:

20 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Varunji, Thank you every so much for your help. My brother-in-law-to-be is a Thai national. Are you sure I have to attach all these documents mentioned in the pdf file to my application at the consulate in Mumbai?

Yes - if you want to work legally in Thailand with work permit (WP)

Do not even consider working on a tourist visa as that is illegal.

Hi,

The company in Thailand might not be able to send me these:

1. Letter from Thai Company regarding employment contract, tenure of contract, job duty, and remuneration
  2. Thai company's Profile.
  3. Compulsory Original Work Permit Letter from the Thai Labour Department or FORM WP3 (Thai language)
  4. Original letter from board of Investment (IB case) stating applicant's name and designation
  5. Copy of Thai company's registration papers and list of shareholders
  6. Statement of Income tax and Business Tax: Por Ngor Dor 50 / Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year
  7. If the person has been employed before, he/she must show employment permit and tax papers.

The Cox and Kings office in Mumbai have only asked me to follow the requirements for a tourist visa plus two additonal documents in the form of letters: an invitation letter from company in Thailand addressed to the consulate in Mumbai  and a covering letter from me to the visa officer. What am I to do now? Who should I follow? No way, I am not going to work illegally. Better to stay in Mumbai than go to the Kingdom and be locked up for the rest of my life!!!

Edited by Aditi Sharma
Correction.

33 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

The list is considerably shorter for Mumbai. https://th.ckgs.in/apply-for-a-visa/employment.html

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The list is considerably shorter for Mumbai. https://th.ckgs.in/apply-for-a-visa/employment.html

1. Compulsory Original Work Permit Letter from the Thai Labour Department or FORM WP3 (Thai language) -------------Is the Work Permit for the company??
  2. Original letter from board of Investment (IB case) stating applicant's name and designation ----is the applicant here my employer?
  • Like 1

I am 38 and have been asked to probation for my brother-in-law's company in Bangkok. He is marrying my sister next month. From my research so far I have come to the conclusion that I need to apply for a non-immigrant b visa from the Royal Thai consulate in Mumbai otherwise I would need to come back after attending their wedding and apply for the visa as it has be applied for in Mumbai. If I have a non-immigrant b visa, my brotherinlaw's company will be able to apply for a work permit depending on how they assess my performance during the two month probation period. Comments are welcome.

26 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:
  1. Compulsory Original Work Permit Letter from the Thai Labour Department or FORM WP3 (Thai language) -------------Is the Work Permit for the company??
  2. Original letter from board of Investment (IB case) stating applicant's name and designation ----is the applicant here my employer?

1. The WP3 work permit application form is a special one for those that are not here in Thailand.

2. That is not required unless you are working for a BOI company. I it is used instead of the WP3.

13 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I am 38 and have been asked to probation for my brother-in-law's company in Bangkok. He is marrying my sister next month. From my research so far I have come to the conclusion that I need to apply for a non-immigrant b visa from the Royal Thai consulate in Mumbai otherwise I would need to come back after attending their wedding and apply for the visa as it has be applied for in Mumbai. If I have a non-immigrant b visa, my brotherinlaw's company will be able to apply for a work permit depending on how they assess my performance during the two month probation period. Comments are welcome.

He needs to apply for the work permit before you start working. this probation thing is nonsense as you are not allowed to work without one. A lot of dodgy companies do it like this and will never apply for the papers but come up with more BS.

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

He needs to apply for the work permit before you start working. this probation thing is nonsense as you are not allowed to work without one. A lot of dodgy companies do it like this and will never apply for the papers but come up with more BS.

Good God. But my brother in law means to do this for me and I trust him. I am just doing this research to see if I can help him!

6 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Good God. But my brother in law means to do this for me and I trust him. I am just doing this research to see if I can help him!

It is likely your brother-in-law has as little knowledge of the law as you do. There is no malice. He is doing what he would do with a Thai employee: offering a probation employment period, before taking someone on as a full employee. As I recall, there are protections for the company in doing things that way. The problem in your case is that there is no such thing as a probational work permit. You either have a work permit, and are allowed to work, or you do not. Working a probation period without a work permit is just as illegal as working without a work permit after the probation period.

2 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How painful is it to get a work permit ? Can the whole business be wrapped up and stamped in a day? I guess my future employer is going to ask me to do the footwork. Any suggestions will help a poor sister ;-)

Your employer will have to prepare all the paperwork, in any case.

50 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Are there professional firms who can help employers prepare the paperwork for my WP3?

most ALL the firms i have worked for use an agent or law firm of some sort if they don't already have someone working within the company taking care of all that. depends on their size i guess but yes, there are agents and law firms that take care of all that stuff. just try to choose a well known reputable one so they don't over charge

Edited by Happy enough
not most all
  • Thanks 1

It seems you are still unclear on the differences between a visa, extension of stay and a work permit (WP).

Your first hurdle is to get a single-entry Non-Immigrant 'B' visa (For Employment) .

You should visit the visa application center located in your city,

to double check all the documents that are required, not just look at the website.

Sometimes, the websites aren't updated or they simply don't list out all the documents that are required for a particular visa category.

The exhaustive list (based on the application center in Delhi) is here:

http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in/Delhi/pdf/Revised-Checklist-for-NON-B-Business-For-Employment-final.pdf

I doubt that the Thai embassy will have vastly different Non-B visa requirements between Mumbai and New Delhi applications - so I don't think only an invitation letter from your employer will cut it.

Best you confirm this with the Mumbai Visa Application Center.

Once you receive your Non-B visa, you then travel to Thailand to activate the Non-B visa which grants you 90 days of stay in the kingdom.

During this 90-day period, your employer will need to start the process of application for your WP3 (blue book) and simultaneously, your extension of stay (based on work). 

The extension of stay grants you the permission to stay and work in Thailand for a period of 1-year.

Your WP3 also becomes inextricably linked to your extension of stay.

In terms of monthly deductions from your salary, the employer should deduct income tax and Social Security.

Some companies provide pay slips, some don't - no harm in asking for one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, varun said:

Once you receive your Non-B visa, you then travel to Thailand to activate the Non-B visa which grants you 90 days of stay in the kingdom.

During this 90-day period, your employer will need to start the process of application for your WP3 (blue book) and simultaneously, your extension of stay (based on work). 

The extension of stay grants you the permission to stay and work in Thailand for a period of 1-year.

OK, a work permit is a WP11, not 3.

A WP3 is the form that the prospective employer completes at the labour department stating that they will be applying for a WP for a new employee. (Most consulates will require a completed WP3 to issue a Non-B)

• Thanks 1

Just now, pearciderman said:

OK, a work permit is a WP11, not 3.

A WP3 is the form that the prospective employer completes at the labour department stating that they will be applying for a WP for a new employee. (Most consulates will require a completed WP3 to issue a Non-B)

Ah yes, you are correct.

WP3 is the approval from Ministry of Labor that is a prerequisite for the Non-B Visa application..
WP11 is the actual WP (blue book)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, varun said:

It seems you are still unclear on the differences between a visa, extension of stay and a work permit (WP).

Your first hurdle is to get a single-entry Non-Immigrant 'B' visa (For Employment) .

You should visit the visa application center located in your city,

to double check all the documents that are required, not just look at the website.

Sometimes, the websites aren't updated or they simply don't list out all the documents that are required for a particular visa category.

The exhaustive list (based on the application center in Delhi) is here:

http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in/Delhi/pdf/Revised-Checklist-for-NON-B-Business-For-Employment-final.pdf

I doubt that the Thai embassy will have vastly different Non-B visa requirements between Mumbai and New Delhi applications - so I don't think only an invitation letter from your employer will cut it.

Best you confirm this with the Mumbai Visa Application Center.

In terms of monthly deductions from your salary, the employer should deduct income tax and Social Security.

Some companies provide pay slips, some don't - no harm in asking for one.

Hi Varun, thanks for your time, man, much appreciated!