Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

im the son of a uk citizen or he was at the time, i am entitled to a british passport and the right to reside in britain.  the proviso is i can not work or claim benifits.my son on the other hand can work he was given a 10yr visa.?

Edited by heybuz

18 hours ago, MickTurator said:

Only if they were married before the birth.

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

I was told by the British consulate that being married or not made no difference, what was important was that your name was on the birth certificate within a certain time period (I forget how long that was). It didn't matter to me as I decided that I didn't want my son to be British anyway,he is better of as a Thai. 

56 minutes ago, teatree said:

Because the visa rules are patently unfair, especially when one considers that there has been an open door to absolutely anyone who happens to have an EU passport to come and live on the UK.  This case highlights an unjust system.

My wife was offered a job at the head office (in London) of her company but would not have been able to get a visa, yet ANYONE with an EU passport, whether they have any connection with the UK or not, can come over and get a job.

The system is crazy and unfair and I hope it will change post Brexit.

Hold on a minute! What about the millions of British living and working in EU countries! Freedom of movement was and is an intrinsic law in the EU..It works both ways. Well it did until the Right wing, evil Tory party won...

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

And me. I'm barred from living in my own country because my income isn't high enough and my wife wasn't 'lucky enough' to be born British. My income is my government pension, so in effect I'm barred because THEY don't pay me enough.

You are not BARRED from your own country. Your wife doesn't meet the visa regulations. You can return whenever you want. Don't sensationalise it. The visa regulations are unfair but no need for hyperbole...

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

With respects what happened to all his money ? Did he  pee it all up against the wall ? Beer, drugs. etc ? You cannot be upset if you did it to yourself.

I am 53. I worked all my life. I live in Thailand with my wife and child, and like this man want to return to the UK with them. BUT. I still own my own house that I rent out, and I have a small pension in two years. By selling my house and moving away from the south east I can facilitate  the visa costs and rules. I was not some TV movie start - I worked, saved and used my brain.

If you do NOT plan your life, then you have to live with your mistakes - however sad that is or may appear. YOU make the consequences  most of the time. Many here have sold their houses in the UK to live here, that is their decision. They have to live with the threat of what happens  'IF'. Should I feel sorry for them ? 

It's not a case of being heartless, I fully understand what he is going through.

And before you say it yes the European laws are bad and discriminatory against us.

European laws are more Flexible then national laws, If the Brit moves to another EU memberstate he can bring his wife and child if not to be a burden from the country ( income not required but you need assets or have an uncle who support you etc......
I'm Dutch and was not able to bring my wife into the Netherlands because no income but quiet some cash in the bank,  I moved to Belgium and brought 

my Thai wife to....( Brax arrest )  We did the EU route !

Edited by NoBrains

2 minutes ago, claffey said:

You are not BARRED from your own country. Your wife doesn't meet the visa regulations. You can return whenever you want. Don't sensationalise it. The visa regulations are unfair but no need for hyperbole...

Yes I AM barred, unless I desert or divorce my wife. That isn't hyperbole, it's fact. The income rule is based on MY income, not hers, so whether she meets visa requirements or not (she does) is entirely irrelevant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoBrains said:

European laws are more Flexible then national laws, If the Brit moves to another EU memberstate he can bring his wife and child if not to be a burden from the country ( income not required but you need assets or have an uncle who support you etc......
I'm Dutch and was not able to bring my wife into the Netherlands because no income but quiet some cash in the bank,  I moved to Belgium and brought 

my Thai wife to....( Brax arrest )

My wife found it far easier to get a Shenghen tourist visa, and didn't even have to pay as I am a UK citizen. The UK charged for a visa when she visited the UK.

Yes there is an inconsistency, the spouses of EU citizen do not need to meet the same requirements.  This is likely to change after Brexit. It is easier to meet the income requirements if you are employed. Only 6 months of salary slips and letter from the employer. Self employed must have tax returns and show declared income.

I have sympathy for people in this situation but the problem was that there was wide spread abuse prior to this legislation. It is however a a blunt stick and works against decent people.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, champers said:

I am only guessing, but the current rules allow Euro spouses in regardless of merit; they are allowed in carte blanche. After Brexit there may be more flexibility for Non-Euro spouses.

Nigel Farage would probably know better than me. His wife is German.

Seems a weird logic you have by stating after Britexit somehow restrictions will be softer for non EU spouses wanting to live in UK. I see no relevant reason as to why leaving the EU would make the slightest difference to non EU spouses. Infact in the present climate of protectionism it may get potentially  even tougher.

Btw you stated Farage has a German wife .... how is this relevent?

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

1 hour ago, bkk_mike said:

The English and Life in the UK tests aren't required if you're over 65.

I think that's when my wife is intending to apply for her British nationality...

you sure about that?  Tier 2 requires  a level of English , I cant see any rule about 65, unless for a dependant who is not a wife or child. I hope you are right for your wife's sake. 

This happened to my daughter & husband (Tunisian & not good enough English).  There is (was?) an EU regulation they used to bypass the home office as follows:

EU requires that if coming from another EU country WHERE BOTH ARE RESIDENT, then both can enter UK to live.

They went to Dublin on a resident's visa where they lived for 3 months (my daughter flying back and forth to UK to her (beauty) business).  After 3 months in Dublin as residents  they then entered UK where they live happily ever after in Scotland.

If anyone knows Mr. Murray, it may pay to pass this on to him to investigate (quick-smart) before brexit is established.

If Mr. Murray gets in touch (personally) I will ask my daughter if she is willing to advise him of the how & what they needed to achieve said dodge. my email is: [email protected]

Edited by bruceprior
needed to add a potential contact address
  • Like 1

Totally unfair and symptomatic of the way us expats with Asian wives are being treated.  Same applies to the pension being fixed and not being able to use the NHS despite paying our social security payments for years.  Sadly, we don't have a vote to be able to change things, they've also seen to that!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, champers said:

A rule that is likely to be defunct post Brexit. I feel for him; I hope he can find a solution.

I would have thought that royalties from endless repeats of Only Fools and Horses would keep the money rolling in. Maybe not.

The income rule has been for decades and he had 19 whole months to prepare him self to meet the requirement by doing double shifts - lazy horse...;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife found it far easier to get a Shenghen tourist visa, and didn't even have to pay as I am a UK citizen. The UK charged for a visa when she visited the UK.

Thats right no charges when the wife apply for a Schengen visa if you travel to a EU Schengen memberstate.
When we travel from Belgium to the UK my wife has to apply for a UK visa but no charges apply.

The income rules are likely to be applied to EU citizens too if Brexit happens, it's not yet a done deal. Under current Surinder Singh rules they could live in any EU country ... except the UK. Theresa May doesn't like immigrants, courts or judges, Amber Rudd the same I think. 

Stereotypical view of Pattaya.

In this case the stereotype possibly rings true. A 61 year old cabbie marries a 35 year old Thai girl he met in Pattaya. Cmon. Think about it. 

Where he met her, what drove the relationship and why they married is frankly irrelevant. It is simply their business, and certainly not that of the home office.
What do you suggest - that a team be sent to take notes, check whether they cuddle whilst asleep, record the frequency and intensity of any arguments?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I wonder if "the Indian subcontinent continent" is an euphemism for " Pakistan"?

The non EU immigration into the UK comes mainly from India and Pakistan.   It is very common for an 'anchor relative' that has a visa from these countries to be used to get the rest of the family over to the UK.  A UK citizen who tries to get his/her spouse over to the UK is unfairly caught up in the visa rules intended to curb these abuses.

I wonder if your comment is an attempt to smear me as 'Islamophobic'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claffey said:

Hold on a minute! What about the millions of British living and working in EU countries! Freedom of movement was and is an intrinsic law in the EU..It works both ways. Well it did until the Right wing, evil Tory party won...

Yes, and EU freedom of movement discriminates against people based on where they are from - an EU citizen can move to the UK without hindrance even if they have no connection with the place at all, yet I know of people who can't even bring their wives to the UK to attend a wedding, purely because they are from the 'wrong' country.

I look forward to a fairer system of immigration after Brexit where people are not blocked from coming to the UK purely because they are not from Europe.  The 'Little Europe' mindset is going to be the undoing of the EU as it loses importance globally in the next few decades.

Edited by teatree
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, champers said:

A rule that is likely to be defunct post Brexit. I feel for him; I hope he can find a solution.

I would have thought that royalties from endless repeats of Only Fools and Horses would keep the money rolling in. Maybe not.

What has this May ruling anything to do with Brexit?

He is 61and she is only 36 with a 10 months daughter. Stop wasting time fighting the impossible war with the immigration. The best option is to start thinking of a way for their future livelihood as we do not know how long Patrick would be around. 

Oh that's exactly what I want, is a kid at over 60yrs of age! Actually really sad for the kid, but the real reason for non admittance should be for stupidity on his part. she was just looking for her payday and doing what most Thai chicks try to do; get pregnant and lock him down. No sympathy here. Thailand is more hard and we should be able to become citizens or residents so much easier if those of the elite weren't so racist and snobs.

20 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I don't get it. London cabbie does not meet minimum requirement of £18600?

No - he earns more than than but has to file self-employed tax returns which need one year's trading to submit, then process etc.

These rules are truly an utter disgrace.

What sort of liberal country that accepts all and sundry to come over, demand their religious houses are built, demand rights for this and that and benefits and yet breaks up families for their indigenous population.

To describe the cruelty and heartlessness of this can only be expressed in expletives of the strongest kind.

Disgusting

• Like 1