Poll: People over 50, do you have enough money for retirement?

Jingthing

People 50 and over only -- NET WORTH for retirement  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

anyway back on my ignore list Jingy, you appeared after the site upgrade for some reason and I thought it would be good for a laugh to see your rants but your far too negative and weird for my liking.

Thank you for putting me on your ignore list. That's great news.

What were you thinking, OP? A public forum is not somewhere I for one am going to disclose my personal finances. Apart from anything else, why give information for scammers and thugs to home in on?

I have enough to live on comfortably. That's all you are going to get by way of information.

Regrettably, I have to view this as a major brain fart by you.

5 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

What were you thinking, OP? A public forum is not somewhere I for one am going to disclose my personal finances. Apart from anything else, why give information for scammers and thugs to home in on?

I have enough to live on comfortably. That's all you are going to get by way of information.

Perhaps the Thai government are paying him for information pursuant to charging more for retirement visas.

8 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I was thinking that most people would understand that by voting in this poll they are most certainly NOT revealing their personal finances.

If you actually think people are, you're totally PARANOID.

Members can't see how you voted and even if they could, you can vote any way you like. Nobody is verifying anything. You can vote you're broke if you're a billionaire, and vice versa.

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, amvet said:

Who else would want or have any use for the information other than Thai Immigration?

OMG, do you seriously think I'm being paid for this the Thai government?!? Hilarious! I was giving  you the benefit of the doubt it was a dumb joke. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

OMG, do you seriously think I'm being paid for this the Thai government?!? Hilarious! I was giving  you the benefit of the doubt it was a dumb joke. 

I thought I asked a relevant question.  Who else but the Thai government would benefit by having the information?

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I was thinking that most people would understand that by voting in this poll they are most certainly NOT revealing their personal finances.

If you actually think people are, you're totally PARANOID.

Members can't see how you voted and even if they could, you can vote anyway you like. Nobody is verifying anything. You can vote you're broke if you're a billionaire, and vice versa.

Well, you are wrong. Any competent hacker or government agency could penetrate Thai Visa identities if they really wanted to.

So what's the odds on a billionaire claiming he is broke? Everybody wants to make themselves look good, it's human nature.

I think it was Henry Kissinger who said even paranoids have enemies.

I suggest you close off this topic before a torrent of trolls arrive. Heaven knows you've given them enough egregious stupidity for them to have a field day. Either that, or you'll need a thick skin.

1 minute ago, amvet said:

I thought I asked a relevant question.  Who else but the Thai government would benefit by having the information?

It's irrelevant. It's the opposite of a scientific poll. It's for entertainment and discussion purposes only.

Someday Thai immigration will surely raise the financial requirements for retirement visas. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe 30 years from now. It won't have anything to do with this Thaivisa poll either way. 

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

Well, you are wrong. Any competent hacker or government agency could penetrate Thai Visa identities if they really wanted to.

So what's the odds on a billionaire claiming he is broke? Everybody wants to make themselves look good, it's human nature.

I think it was Henry Kissinger who said even paranoids have enemies.

I suggest you close off this topic before a torrent of trolls arrive. Heaven knows you've given them enough egregious stupidity for them to have a field day. Either that, or you'll need a thick skin.

If the management wants to move it or close it, that's their decision.

If it bothers you so much, nobody is forcing you to participate. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

If the management wants to move it or close it, that's their decision.

If it bothers you so much, nobody is forcing you to participate. 

If you go back to my first post, you'll see I said I would not participate in the poll. I may stay on the thread for entertainment purposes, to see how big a hole you can dig for yourself.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It's irrelevant. It's the opposite of a scientific poll. It's for entertainment and discussion purposes only.

Someday Thai immigration will surely raise the financial requirements for retirement visas. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe 30 years from now. It won't have anything to do with this Thaivisa poll either way. 

Well I guess then I'm on topic because I'm discussing your poll and information is information and never irrelevant in my opinion.  Of course it's only my opinion.  I asked a simple question.  Why do you want the information.  If entertainment what is the entertainment purpose?  If everyone has more money than you are you going to go home?  Is that entertainment? 

Besides the lack of age brackets, another aspect that makes the results of this poll, even if most people are being honest, mostly meaningless is the REAL ESTATE factor.

For those that own real estate, to determine impact on net worth you're guessing at the eventual sales price and also the debt at time of sale, if any debt. If you're older and only own one place and live in it, chances are you'll never sell as you need someplace to live, so an illiquid asset like that really doesn't impact actual retirement savings for actual spending. 

Anyway, I thought it best to keep it as simple as possible. To really get any kind of real picture on this topic, we'd need age brackets, more robust real estate accounting options, and factoring in INCOME as well.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

Well I guess then I'm on topic because I'm discussing your poll and information is information and never irrelevant in my opinion.  Of course it's only my opinion.  I asked a simple question.  Why do you want the information.  If entertainment what is the entertainment purpose?  If everyone has more money than you are you going to go home?  Is that entertainment? 

What is the entertainment purpose? Seriously, dude? Don't you get it? I made it very clear that this is NOT a scientific poll. NO poll here is! The only "purpose" of ANY poll here is entertainment and discussion. I would get you if I had asserted the results were anything real. I never did.

I have said this many times to fellow Canadian bashers.

For me to retire in Thailand I would need to have saved about 10 million dollars or have a salary of 500k baht a month to have the same standard of living like back in Canada.

I love Thailand and it's not Thailand's fault for not being a first world country, but Canada  blows away Thailand in every aspect of life.

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To add, I've never said I was in a dire financial situation. I'm not going to reveal how I voted here, and I'm not suggesting that anyone else do either.

Let's see if I can understand this. You design a poll. Then you criticize me as paranoid because I refuse to give out information on my personal finances. Then you say you are not going to reveal how you voted, which is tantamount to the same thing. Assuming you even voted. That hole seems to be getting bigger, and it looks like my prediction of a torrent of trolls is being fulfilled early. Ah well, it is entertaining - like watching a train wreck.

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I have said this many times to fellow Canadian bashers.

For me to retire in Thailand I would need to have saved about 10 million dollars or have a salary of 500k baht a month to have the same standard of living like back in Canada.

I love Thailand and it's not Thailand's fault for not being a first world country, but Canada  blows away Thailand in every aspect of life.

Don't you mean for you to retire in Canada?

I'm not Canadian. I really liked it when I visited it - in summer. Some of the world's best scenery. However, a country where you can't play golf for 6 months of the year because all the courses are covered in snow is not for me.

14 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Don't you mean for you to retire in Canada?

I'm not Canadian. I really liked it when I visited it - in summer. Some of the world's best scenery. However, a country where you can't play golf for 6 months of the year because all the courses are covered in snow is not for me.

No, I mean to retire in Thailand.

Regarding golf, you can travel any time of the year to the country of your choosing and play golf. I would not be able to do the same if I live in Thailand, get sick and travel to Canada.

I will not spend my old age in Thailand. Absolutely no way in hell.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yea, but you can travel and play golf.

I will not spend my old age in Thailand. Absolutely no way in hell.

Well, that's what I'm doing and enjoying. There are various options in terms of care if/when I get to the wheelchair stage here, and they are a lot less expensive than anything in Australia, which has become a cesspit of greed as far as the elderly are concerned.

I do know of Canadians that travel to Florida and Texas to play golf in the Canadian winter; however, that's a very expensive exercise.

51 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Let's see if I can understand this. You design a poll. Then you criticize me as paranoid because I refuse to give out information on my personal finances. Then you say you are not going to reveal how you voted, which is tantamount to the same thing. Assuming you even voted. That hole seems to be getting bigger, and it looks like my prediction of a torrent of trolls is being fulfilled early. Ah well, it is entertaining - like watching a train wreck.

You understand very little. Enjoy yourself. Not my concern. 

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Although yes it is a public forum, in what way could anyone possibly link your vote or admitted finances back to you? Everyone is reasonably anonymous. Are you concerned someone logging your vote, hacking your account, tracking your IP address and then either hacking your personal PC or finding where you live?

i thought that was the beauty of Internet forums. You can talk rubbish/shoot the breeze and don't have to take anything personally or worry about your dear old mum finding out you spent a majority of your time with barely legal gas cookers.

Edited by MadMuhammad

4 hours ago, Tedly said:

no smart a$$ or negative comments from me, I'll just say I'm 57 and don't have enough to retire here in USA (probably never will) but will have enough to retire in Thailand with my lovely Thai wife

I am 57 from USA.  I've spent 70+ days there last 16 months. I've been researching costs and besides housing and Thai food and women I don't see the value in Thailand.   I do see you can live a much more simple life and not be trailer trash. 

I like this poll.  But would be nice of it did include age.  And somehow included pension stream and could promise discretion.   

And block the pugs and snipers.  

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What is the entertainment purpose? Seriously, dude? Don't you get it? I made it very clear that this is NOT a scientific poll. NO poll here is! The only "purpose" of ANY poll here is entertainment and discussion. I would get you if I had asserted the results were anything real. I never did.

I preferred the coffee thread.

i don't have the personal drive and motivation for retirement, so I'm lucky that my savings are such that I will have to work till I die

Hmmm, cannot afford to live in retirement in the U.S. so, like many who are open to live elsewhere I researched where I could live comfortably on my 65,000 baht a month. Thus far, Thailand has worked out fine. I did have to dip extra due to medical expenses in 2015.

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

It's like watching a train wreck caused by you driving your car in front of the train!

Seriously if I live to be a hundred I will never understand people who click on a thread, say they don't like it and won't contribute to it, then keep coming back to it over and over again, to say how much they object to it and don't want to contribute to it.

Absolutely bloody bananas the lot of you!

I totally agree with the last post.   Don't like a thread don't post on it.  

Don't want to share personal info don't!  

Go make your own thread.  

Some people are so negative.   I bet Thai people have the wrong opinion of farangs.    They will so like me if the give a farang a chance after any aSSociating with many of you sour, bitter ducks