PEA mains feed, up or under?

rawhod

6 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Also be sure to ask PEA size and type of cable they require.  Some will only take Cu, others want Al and to a specific size.  There is no national standard for this that I am aware and the local PEA's do differ.

He said 16mm THW  copper is OK for down-comer and over head, but  16mm NYY copper must be used for underground.

3 hours ago, rawhod said:

He said 16mm THW  copper is OK for down-comer and over head, but  16mm NYY copper must be used for underground.

Sounds pretty ok to me :smile:

In reality I doubt PEA are ever going to outlaw overhead cabling except, possibly, in areas where the main supply is underground.

Hi Rawhod,

My company has just completed (and had PEA approved) a quite complex SME electrical installation. 

Check out the attached Thai wiring regulations given to us by the PEA to help us understand the latest Thai wiring regulations.

They're in both Thai & English languages, so are easy to understand.

I hope this helps. :jap:

59c1118f8ce6d_Thaiwiringsizes.thumb.jpg.b1b83857c2ad9dd518f7fc7e4c54f97c.jpg3 เฟส 19-10-59-.pdf

4 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

Hi Rawhod,

My company has just completed (and had PEA approved) a quite complex SME electrical installation. 

Check out the attached Thai wiring regulations given to us by the PEA to help us understand the latest Thai wiring regulations.

I hope this helps. 

Brief documents like these explain why there is so much confusion and chaos.

There are other documents floating around that actually switch between Euro and US cable colors as you jump pages. The same applies to current carrying capacity of cables. Its almost as though they are cutting and pasting other countries regulations and losing the plot in translation.

PEA currently operate the flexi rule system. 

9 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

Hi Rawhod,

59c1118f8ce6d_Thaiwiringsizes.thumb.jpg.b1b83857c2ad9dd518f7fc7e4c54f97c.jpg3 เฟส 19-10-59-.pdf

Am I allowed to do my own wiring provided it meets these standards or is some form of electrician licence required?

9 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

Hi Rawhod,

Note that the amperages on the right refer to maximum breaker limits, not wire capacity per se.

5 hours ago, maxpower said:

Brief documents like these explain why there is so much confusion and chaos.

There are other documents floating around that actually switch between Euro and US cable colors as you jump pages. The same applies to current carrying capacity of cables. Its almost as though they are cutting and pasting other countries regulations and losing the plot in translation.

PEA currently operate the flexi rule system. 

They specify maximum breaker sizes, not capacity of cables directly.

BTW, these regs would make my house non-compliant... we have 20 amp breakers on our 2.5mm circuits.

Just in case you missed it...:coffee1:

The bulk of the PEA information is in the attached file --->  3 เฟส 19-10-59-.pdf  <---

There have been major changes to the Thai wiring code over the last few years - our own building that was built to code 5 years ago failed PEA audit when we requested the supply be connected.

Much work had to be done to bring it up to the latest code requiring 5 audit visits to sort out before eventually being approved :jap:

4 hours ago, exemplary21 said:

They specify maximum breaker sizes, not capacity of cables directly.

BTW, these regs would make my house non-compliant... we have 20 amp breakers on our 2.5mm circuits.

My point was, the document posted here is one of many variations floating around the PEA at various locations.
The whole system is a joke.

18 minutes ago, maxpower said:

The whole system is a joke.

Sadly I have to agree, it's pretty obvious that, despite attempts to regularise by requiring electricians to be registered / licenced, nothing is really changing (or if it is it's a very slow process).

Individual offices (just like Immigration) make up their own rules meaning that it's imperative to visit your PEA office to find out what they want particularly regarding the incoming cable size and main breaker.

Anything inside that's wired with even a nodding recognition of the requirements in BS7671 or AS3000 will likely be fine.

And once you have your permanent meter no further inspections are required.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/09/2017 at 6:55 AM, Howard said:

Am I allowed to do my own wiring provided it meets these standards or is some form of electrician licence required?

You will quite possibly do a better job than any local.

Although a licence is technically required most don't have one.

The only test or inspection is when getting a new permanent supply.  

Its stated a few times here there was an inspection prior to pea putting in supply?

We requested a meter be installed aftervwe got the house number and blue book. The only thing what happened was a pea van drove up looked where the house was looked for nearest electric post. Came over said no problems and came back an hour later with another van in tow they put the supply to the meter on post got us to sign the form and left. We conected house and shop to meter.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Its stated a few times here there was an inspection prior to pea putting in supply?

We requested a meter be installed aftervwe got the house number and blue book. The only thing what happened was a pea van drove up looked where the house was looked for nearest electric post. Came over said no problems and came back an hour later with another van in tow they put the supply to the meter on post got us to sign the form and left. We conected house and shop to meter.

The electricity authority of Thailand lives in a magical world of ghosts demons and unpredictable rules.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

We didn't even get a PEA vehicle for our inspection. I did a lot of research & was beyond prepared for it. Ornery old dude who obviously hated his job pulled up on an old Honda Wave, he didn't want to see squat. Asked if I had a ground & lightning rod, signed off & left. He was pissed because he had to look at 5 houses that day.

8 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Our "inspection" was certainly somewhat, er, rudimentary. Mostly consisting of the inspector gassing with Wifey, he did look inside the distribution board and said I couldn't use the 63A incoming breaker that was installed on our 15/45 meter, I don't recall if he actually came back and checked we had replaced it (probably not).

If you are paying the permanent rate of about 4 Baht per unit you're fine.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Our "inspection" was certainly somewhat, er, rudimentary. Mostly consisting of the inspector gassing with Wifey, he did look inside the distribution board and said I couldn't use the 63A incoming breaker that was installed on our 15/45 meter, I don't recall if he actually came back and checked we had replaced it (probably not).

If you are paying the permanent rate of about 4 Baht per unit you're fine.

Yes last bill was 1.59bht per unit not unusual only ever remains the same in the hot season at about 3.7 or there abouts.