Warning! Extortion EMail being circulated.

pauleddy

Today I received an email from someone calling himself Daniel Cohen. He claims to be a bilingual representative of the Thai Police and several other legal bodies.

He advised me that I was a suspect for breaking lese-majeste laws by defaming the monarchy, but that he would remove my name from the list of offenders for 199$ (6,000b).

I have never defamed anybody, nor can I speak Thai. I have never been questioned by police for anything. I do not even ride my bicycle after two beers.

It seems that this blagger obtained my email from a teaching job application I recently made. About two weeks ago, I received an offer to write my CV for 1,999b by a PhD from ANU or UA. The font was identical, and for some reason the header was TEACHING JOB APPLICATION in BOTH emails. I can understand the offer to write a CV for teachers, although I cannot understand why he/she should use the same header and then try to extort money for lese-majeste accusations UNDER the header of Teaching Jobs. Please note that I applied for the teaching job via one of the frequent teacher placement sites appearing on the net in Thailand. In that case, this person is obtaining emails by hacking into this teacher agency.

I am minded to take a copy of this email to the police, as this is an attempted extortion or blackmail and is also impersonation of a police officer or legal officer.

Please post if you have a similar experience.

Eddy

Thanks for the warning. Lesson learned never give out your information to a site on the Internet you can not verify. Could easily be the scammers themselves or selling in information just beacuse its always around on internet means nothing.

Thanks again

Edited by jeab1980

10 hours ago, pauleddy said:

I am minded to take a copy of this email to the police, as this is an attempted extortion or blackmail and is also impersonation of a police officer or legal officer.

Don't be minded buddy, do it................:thumbsup:

You might actually be surprised by the actions of the BiB in cases like this.

13 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Thanks for the warning. Lesson learned never give out your information to a site on the Internet you can not verify. Could easily be the scammers themselves or selling in information just beacuse its always around on internet means nothing.

Thanks again

Also remember sites say you can login with your Facebook or Twitter account have your login details to those accounts if you use them.

I think the OPS should make this a headline in Forum News or Thailand news. I have received 2 of these--1 asking to write my CV (I have written '00s) and now this guy who says he is Enforcing Lese Majeste unless you pay 199USD

Edited by pauleddy

Me too. I just now received the same email. So i googled his name and your post showed up. I have never criticized either 

king. Many of us foreigners do express our horror when reading the daily news of government pronouncements on the prachathai news articles posted on Facebook but everyone knows about the law.

Go into this website:

http://report.thaihotline.org/en

Send details of the ads, contents of the emails and report that someone is using the monarch`s name in an extortion scam. You can report this anonymously. Under Thai law the police have to investigate. If you prefer not to take this further, then delete the emails and block them in your email filter systems.

16 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Also remember sites say you can login with your Facebook or Twitter account have your login details to those accounts if you use them.

Please get your facts correct. Stop spreading FUD.

using login via Facebook or Twitter never passes your Facebook or twitter login information to any other site

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Please get your facts correct. Stop spreading FUD.

using login via Facebook or Twitter never passes your Facebook or twitter login information to any other site

I suggest you try to read. What I said dumb nuts was when you go to a different site and they say you can use your FB or Twitter details to log in, they then know your IS and password. If they get hacked your data goes ad well. Understand now? Next time read and understand before you react in a stupid way

Interesting but how's about seeing the email?

Also there's a way to track an email via the header to an IP I think?

Be good to have a good look at the exact content. May hold valuable clues. Word usage, stuff like that.

This chaps not too smart if he forgot to save data under a different name. 

16 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

I suggest you try to read. What I said dumb nuts was when you go to a different site and they say you can use your FB or Twitter details to log in, they then know your IS and password. If they get hacked your data goes ad well. Understand now? Next time read and understand before you react in a stupid way

More FUD together with not understanding how the system functions.

You never are asked to use your Facebook or twitter credentials on another site. If you are stupid enough to use the same login name and password that's your choice.

however if the permit you to login VIA FB or Twitter then you authenticate yourself to FB or Twitter, who then send a token to the other site. THEY NEVER SEND OR ALLOW your login details to be sent to another site. 

please do understand things before showing your ignorance.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

17 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

If you mean the secondary site gets to know the users Facebook password then you are wrong. If not then ignore my example below.

Example (may vary depending on platform).

Mr Bob uses the Disqus commenting system by logging in with his Facebook account details. At this point we should note that the login is handled by the Facebook server not Disqus because the Disqus system does not know Bobs Facebook password and never will. Using a back-end negotiation, Facebook then sends authentication results back to Disqus and its happy days.

Whats worth pointing out is that those using this convenient login method are opening themselves up to severe cross platform data harvesting. Also, they could suffer more than just the loss of a Facebook account should the master applications password get compromised. Sometimes its best to keep it all separate.

26 minutes ago, maxpower said:

If you mean the secondary site gets to know the users Facebook password then you are wrong. If not then ignore my example below.

Example (may vary depending on platform).

Mr Bob uses the Disqus commenting system by logging in with his Facebook account details. At this point we should note that the login is handled by the Facebook server not Disqus because the Disqus system does not know Bobs Facebook password and never will. Using a back-end negotiation, Facebook then sends authentication results back to Disqus and its happy days.

Whats worth pointing out is that those using this convenient login method are opening themselves up to severe cross platform data harvesting. Also, they could suffer more than just the loss of a Facebook account should the master applications password get compromised. Sometimes its best to keep it all separate.

Thank you for the more detailed summary.

On 19/09/2017 at 10:23 PM, gandalf12 said:

Of course they don't. Sites that use Facebook logins are granted access to certain information from your account (which they state when you sign up) but not your password - that would be ridiculous.

I have now received another email from 'Chris Williams'. They have created a html page with my photo pretending to be me defaming the king. they also included my address and work address on the page. 

I am genuinely scared now in case he makes it public. What kind of crazy guy does this??

What should I do?

Edited by becbec123

8 hours ago, becbec123 said:

I have now received another email from 'Chris Williams'. They have created a html page with my photo pretending to be me defaming the king. they also included my address and work address on the page. 

I am genuinely scared now in case he makes it public. What kind of crazy guy does this??

What should I do?

You need to preempt the situation. Get a lawyer to accompany you to a police station, show them the emails and let them take it from there. If you do that, then any further action from the scammer will only serve to get him into deeper trouble, and you will be in the clear. But you must grab the bull by the horns and neutralise the threat, and the only way to do that is to get one step ahead of the guy. You might want to bring a case of defamation, too, and reverse the roles.

Good luck, and don't delay. The longer you leave it, the more difficult it becomes.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:12 AM, Eagleizer said:

$199 lol. That certainly looks a lot cheaper than $200...

Wow , you are quick! You actually figured that out. Although this is something that you have just learned, it has in fact  been standard practice throughout the 20th century! 

On 9/27/2017 at 6:22 AM, becbec123 said:

What should I do?

Before going to the police,  I would definitely first go to your embassy and inform/ ask them about reporting to the police.

On 27/09/2017 at 12:22 AM, becbec123 said:

What should I do?

How they got that data?

By any chance do you have any Africans working in or near your work address?

What about associates who are shifty?

ANY details on the email content?