Ex-Australia PM Abbot head-butted 'over same sex marriage views'

webfact

34 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As you're Australian I am sure you are well aware of the aggression and extreme POV by a number of Australian right wing groups. You would capable of recalling your own posts and other members supporting right wing propaganda memes.

So would those threatening to kill people for insulting allah be considered right or left wing?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As you're Australian I am sure you are well aware of the aggression and extreme POV by a number of Australian right wing groups. You would capable of recalling your own posts and other members supporting right wing propaganda memes.

So you're another non Australian who thinks he knows what is happening within our country are you?  None of my posts relate to the support of right wing propaganda memes, therefore, you obviously have me mixed up with someone else. 

And having no idea about what you are alleging, I asked for proof, given you are the one who brought it up, so pray tell why are you finding it so difficult to do so?   Or is it like many other things on here, just made up?

I really don't know why you respond half the time, you deflect, never answer a reasonable request, just reply with a question and spread misinformation by implying that one does something that you've made up or is something they are not.  You really have no idea, do you? :wai:

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

So would those threatening to kill people for insulting allah be considered right or left wing?

Why are you forever going off topic.  This isn't about religion or what else you have listed.  Tell me how this is relevant to the thread, "Abbot gets headbutted?"  Has no bearing at all.:wai:

9 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Why are you forever going off topic.  This isn't about religion or what else you have listed.  Tell me how this is relevant to the thread, "Abbot gets headbutted?"  Has no bearing at all.:wai:

The question was asked of somebody else who is attributing the majority of violence to a specific group. If you found it irrelevant, you could simply have ignored it.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

The question was asked of somebody else who is attributing the majority of violence to a specific group. If you found it irrelevant, you could simply have ignored it.

Come on Halloween.  You know how many times you jump in.  Remember, the old saying, it's an open forum. If one wants to respond or  contribute, they can, not against any rules last time I checked.:wai:

9 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Come on Halloween.  You know how many times you jump in.  Remember, the old saying, it's an open forum. If one wants to respond or  contribute, they can, not against any rules last time I checked.:wai:

Right, I jump in, but you can respond or contribute. So now we have wasted 4 posts on what you consider an irrelevance. As I said, if you found it irrelevant, ignore it.

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Good gosh, how did we progress from Mr. Abbot being headbutted by some douche bag, which is what this thread is about, not people in Australia trying to deny rights to a minority.  But then I realised whose post I was reading.  We are talking about marriage equality here, so why are you bringing up this aspect, considering that same sex couples already have the same rights as heterosexual couples? The only difference is that one is called a union, the other, marriage.

I am also at odds to understand what you are saying about a yes vote win will be the end of Christmas in Australia. Are you saying that if the yes gets up, then the next thing will be to rid Australia of Christmas celebrations?  Would you mind clarifying this aspect?  It is clear that your not an Australian, so don't have hopes and wishes about a nation you clearly know nothing of.

To enlighten yourself and gain some knowledge then maybe if you spent some time in my country or associated with some Aussies, then you would understand that we are not as gullible as some think or hope nor do we take bullying, violence, threats,  lies, or unfounded BS lightly.  Have a nice day. :wai:

What a load of codswallop!

Yes, this thread DOES include the Australian marriage equality yes/no mail in vote debate.

Yes, it IS about civil rights.

The current scheme is NOT equality!

Thus, the gay people of Australia are indeed now having their civil rights suppressed.

They aren't even as well off as "separate but equal" because they are not equal under the law -- 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/sep/21/marriage-v-de-facto-partnerships-in-australia-the-legal-differences-explained

In an opinion piece last week, former prime minister Tony Abbott claimed:

Already, indeed, same-sex couples in a settled domestic relationship have exactly the same rights as people who are married.

This isn’t true.

Read the article for details on WHY that isn't true.

Australians have the simple choice. Either for equal civil rights for a minority or against. If against, don't be surprised or shocked if many people think that is a homophobic position. Yes, it's often justified by religious dogma. That doesn't cut it. Australia is not a theocracy.

The Christmas thing? Sorry, you don't follow the news from your own country. Let this septic fill you in --

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/tennis/news/margaret-court-says-marriage-equality-will-lead-to-the-end-of-christmas-and-easter-in-australia/8jy0t7ivuc361wyssifycwqh7

I have visited Australia but whether I have or haven't is irrelevant to this thread. All nationalities are welcome to post on these threads. I get it that Australians would devalue non-Australian opinions. That's human nature. I feel the same way about the comments of Australians supporting trump when it's clear they don't have a clue about what trump really is. 

Edited by Jingthing

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, this thread DOES include the Australian marriage equality yes/no mail in vote debate.

Yes, it is about civil rights.

Thus, the gay people of Australia are indeed now having their civil rights suppressed.

They aren't even as well off as "separate but equal" because they are not equal under the law -- 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/sep/21/marriage-v-de-facto-partnerships-in-australia-the-legal-differences-explained

Australian have the simple choice. Either for civil rights for a minority or against. If against, don't be surprised or shocked if many people think that is a homophobic position. Yes, it's often justified by religious dogma. That doesn't cut it. Australia is not a theocracy.

The Christmas thing? Sorry, you don't follow the news from your own country. Let this septic fill you in --

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/tennis/news/margaret-court-says-marriage-equality-will-lead-to-the-end-of-christmas-and-easter-in-australia/8jy0t7ivuc361wyssifycwqh7

I have visited Australia but whether I have or haven't is irrelevant to this thread. All nationalities are welcome to post on these threads. I get it that Australians would devalue non-Australians opinions. That's human nature. I feel the same way about the comments of Australians supporting trump when it's clear they don't have a clue about what trump really is. 

As an Australian, let me fill you in with a few facts about the country. We are a conservative lot, we just don't much like change.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/referendums/Referendum_Dates_and_Results.htm

We are nowhere near a theocracy, most of us that declare a religion don't bother attending, or do so infrequently. We even elect atheists and agnostics, and don't even bother asking our politicians that which we consider irrelevant. When your country elects an atheist, get back to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_Australia

We are not by large homophobic, but the pushy antics of the yes side will put some off an issue that really doesn't seem to be a concern to most. This is because we don't have drummed into us our 'rights', and probably why we have far fewer lawyers.

Margaret Court is a 74yo tennis player, something she did quite well. Most Australians would have a vague idea, if any, of who she is. We don't extrapolate excellence at sport (or acting, or singing) into some depth of insight on other matters. We did elect Peter Garrett, and learned from the mistake.

Edited by halloween

I never said you were a theocracy. I said you were not. So justifying a no vote or homophobia expressed in government policy for religious reasons doesn't make sense in any nation that is not a theocracy. Yes, I am asserting a no vote is a yes vote for intolerance, homophobia, and bigotry. 

I understand not liking pushy tactics on any side. But the vote isn't about pushy tactics. It's about yes or no for equal civil rights for a minority. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I never said you were a theocracy. I said you were not. So justifying a no vote or homophobia expressed in government policy doesn't make sense in any nation that is not a theocracy. Yes, I am asserting a no vote is a yes vote for intolerance, homophobia, and bigotry. 

While most Australians believe in a "fair go" a concept somewhat similar to equal rights for all, and I personally would vote Yes if in Oz at the time, being called names by a Yank will not persuade people to your cause. We get enough of your (American) religious zealots knocking on doors, we don't need you pushing your views on "equal rights" on us. It is our decision, it will be made by us in our own sweet time, and their may even be enough pressure for politicians to take a conscience vote. As a referendum it would almost certainly fail.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, and also always keep in mind that the yes side is in favor of expanding civil rights to a minority, and the no side is in favor of blocking civil rights to a minority. I think most people of good will will choose the former if they're not clouded by irrelevant propaganda about violence and all kinds of fear mongering such as a yes win will be the end of Christmas in Australia. I sure hope Australians prove to the world that they're not that stupid to fall for such tactics. 

As you most properly don't know there is no Christmas in Australia

Christmas trees are now advertised in shops as "Green Trees"

14 minutes ago, halloween said:

While most Australians believe in a "fair go" a concept somewhat similar to equal rights for all, and I personally would vote Yes if in Oz at the time, being called names by a Yank will not persuade people to your cause. We get enough of your (American) religious zealots knocking on doors, we don't need you pushing your views on "equal rights" on us. It is our decision, it will be made by us in our own sweet time, and their may even be enough pressure for politicians to take a conscience vote. As a referendum it would almost certainly fail.

What are you on about? Of course it's your choice. I'm hoping you make the good choice.

As far as the no vote is the same as homophobia, yes I think that's the truth, like it or agree with it or not.

It's not rocket science. If people voted no for equal rights for interracial marriages, almost everyone would agree, yep, that's racist bigotry. The same applies to the anti-gay civil rights no side. 

Cheers. 

I will add here there is an international aspect to the LGBT civil rights movement. There is a lot of international solidarity on these issues. Each country is at different levels. In some nations, there is the death penalty for being gay. In others like the Netherlands, there is full legal equality. Australia isn't there yet for full legal equality, neither is the USA, and neither of course is Thailand. 

I know many people detest "Gay Pride" parades (including many gay people) but as someone that experienced the history of that movement, marching in some of the first such parades in the world, when there are such parades in very oppressive nations, where the marchers are risking their lives to be there, there is a global connection that is very real.

That extends to marriage equality votes in Australia or anywhere. 

That said, as far as hostility towards foreigners butting in on Australian politics, yeah, I get it. So, sorry about that. Just posting on a forum here. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

As you most properly don't know there is no Christmas in Australia

Christmas trees are now advertised in shops as "Green Trees"

I presume you're trying to take the pi#@. If not,,,,

https://www.google.com.au/search?safe=active&rlz=1C1GGRV_enAU751AU751&q=christmas+tree+australia&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT9tm-wr3WAhUJerwKHTLRAMsQvwUIJSgA&biw=1366&bih=662

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

So you're another non Australian who thinks he knows what is happening within our country are you?  None of my posts relate to the support of right wing propaganda memes, therefore, you obviously have me mixed up with someone else. 

And having no idea about what you are alleging, I asked for proof, given you are the one who brought it up, so pray tell why are you finding it so difficult to do so?   Or is it like many other things on here, just made up?

I really don't know why you respond half the time, you deflect, never answer a reasonable request, just reply with a question and spread misinformation by implying that one does something that you've made up or is something they are not.  You really have no idea, do you? :wai:

I am an Australian citizen. Should be obvious I dislike your online persona, stop hassling - go away.

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, it IS about civil rights.

Australians have the simple choice. Either for equal civil rights for a minority or against. If against, don't be surprised or shocked if many people think that is a homophobic position. Yes, it's often justified by religious dogma. That doesn't cut it. Australia is not a theocracy.

I have visited Australia but whether I have or haven't is irrelevant to this thread. All nationalities are welcome to post on these threads. I get it that Australians would devalue non-Australian opinions. That's human nature. I feel the same way about the comments of Australians supporting trump when it's clear they don't have a clue about what trump really is. 

So what I said is all nonsense according to the great JIng, the one who is never wrong.  Has an opinion on everything but anyone who begs to differ, sprouts nonsense.  Given your post, you are just another who has proven my point and it highlights your lack of knowledge off how we are governed and how the laws are legislated  in Australia.

And no, I for one do not devalue another's opinion, I am just getting sick and tired of the,  " I am right you are wrong" attitude and the "slagging off" at others that a number of you on here are guilty of.  I'll leave t at that.:wai:

27 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

So what I said is all nonsense according to the great JIng, the one who is never wrong.  Has an opinion on everything but anyone who begs to differ, sprouts nonsense.  Given your post, you are just another who has proven my point and it highlights your lack of knowledge off how we are governed and how the laws are legislated  in Australia.

And no, I for one do not devalue another's opinion, I am just getting sick and tired of the,  " I am right you are wrong" attitude and the "slagging off" at others that a number of you on here are guilty of.  I'll leave t at that.:wai:

My reaction to your post is that I responded to your previous ranting post quite effectively as far as facts so instead of bothering to defend an indefensible POV all you've got are weak tea ad hominem attacks. 

Go Yes. 

Edited by Jingthing

Listening to a radio podcast from Australia this morning with the broadcaster, for legal reasons, being unable to identify the head butter.  He did however, disclose that he was a 38 year old DJ from Tasmania, whose DJ name is Funk Knuckle. (Says it all) :wacko:  Claims it was not the ex PM's views that caused the incident, just that he had a skinful and hated the ex PM so much that it also caused him to call him an F@#@$ Worm and a "C". Another fine, up standing and proud Australian.  I think not.:wai:

On 9/22/2017 at 9:40 AM, nausea said:

What was the guy thinking? Apart from being morally reprehensible and a totally stupid move in terms of advancing the "vote yes" campaign, it's also stupid in that it's hardly likely to phase Tony Abbot, a former boxer, rugby player, and veteran of  "an ugly and often violent time" in student politics.

He didn't do it for the yes campaign, he said in interview that he did it because he is an antifascist and Abbot is a fascist, he said his friend had put the yes sticker on him shortly before and he has nothing to do with the yes campaign, he also said he was very drunk and is now embarrassed about it because of the negative press it has brought for the yes campaign. 

As for Abbot the boxer, Abbot the rugby player, what happened to Abbot the shirtfronter?  Yeah, he changed his mind once he saw Putin and went shirtfronted a koala instead.

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

He didn't do it for the yes campaign, he said in interview that he did it because he is an antifascist and Abbot is a fascist, he said his friend had put the yes sticker on him shortly before and he has nothing to do with the yes campaign, he also said he was very drunk and is now embarrassed about it because of the negative press it has brought for the yes campaign. 

As for Abbot the boxer, Abbot the rugby player, what happened to Abbot the shirtfronter?  Yeah, he changed his mind once he saw Putin and went shirtfronted a koala instead.

Of course he didn't do it for the yes campaign.  My mate put the badge on me and made me wear it and because I had a skin full, I became a king hit merchant.  And because I hate him so much I had to head butt him.  Then, as the coward I am, I ran away all the time calling him names.

You amaze me, who cares if he was from the Yes or No campaign, he is a thug, a criminal and a coward, yet hear you are demonizing Abbott, who happens to be the victim.  Oh, and the poor dear is embarrassed because of the negative press he brought for the Yes campaign.

I'd be totally embarrassed about his DJ name of Funk Knuckle and his overall appearance. I wouldn't believe a thing that was uttered by this slime bag and of course you believe everything he has uttered, which he would, wouldn't he, seeing he has been caught out and charged.

Nothing about being sorry to the victim or that he is a coward king hit advocate and ran away after delivery of a p#@$ poor attempt at a head butt.  I hope he gets what he deserves but knowing socialist Tasmania, I'd doubt it. :wai:

15 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Of course he didn't do it for the yes campaign.  My mate put the badge on me and made me wear it and because I had a skin full, I became a king hit merchant.  And because I hate him so much I had to head butt him.  Then, as the coward I am, I ran away all the time calling him names.

You amaze me, who cares if he was from the Yes or No campaign, he is a thug, a criminal and a coward, yet hear you are demonizing Abbott, who happens to be the victim.  Oh, and the poor dear is embarrassed because of the negative press he brought for the Yes campaign.

I'd be totally embarrassed about his DJ name of Funk Knuckle and his overall appearance. I wouldn't believe a thing that was uttered by this slime bag and of course you believe everything he has uttered, which he would, wouldn't he, seeing he has been caught out and charged.

Nothing about being sorry to the victim or that he is a coward king hit advocate and ran away after delivery of a p#@$ poor attempt at a head butt.  I hope he gets what he deserves but knowing socialist Tasmania, I'd doubt it. :wai:

He headbutted someone, Abott divided up families and kept them in jungle camps without adequate access to health care or even proper sanitation, it is not at all hard to demonise him, the bloke is a deranged fascist, not that I had until then, laughing at all his front on the TV preceding his cuddly koala appearance is hardly demonising someone, lol.

34 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

He headbutted someone, Abott divided up families and kept them in jungle camps without adequate access to health care or even proper sanitation, it is not at all hard to demonise him, the bloke is a deranged fascist, not that I had until then, laughing at all his front on the TV preceding his cuddly koala appearance is hardly demonising someone, lol.

What in the heck are you on about?  Why are you deflecting and going off topic?  Nothing constructive to say about the cowardly dog who ran away after committing the assault, which by the way, he has admitted to. Clearly you are someone who condones cowardly acts of violence, and finds it necessary to demonise the ex PM.:wai:

I have to agree.

Violence shouldn't be condoned period. Except for clear self defense.

That doesn't seem at all controversial.

Again, this incident and any violent incidents that are linked to either the yes or no side have zilch to do with the reasons why anyone rational would vote for either side.

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

What in the heck are you on about?  Why are you deflecting and going off topic?  Nothing constructive to say about the cowardly dog who ran away after committing the assault, which by the way, he has admitted to. Clearly you are someone who condones cowardly acts of violence, and finds it necessary to demonise the ex PM.:wai:

It is hardly off topic, he got the headbut for a reason!  And I find it necessary to demonise everyone who commits atrocities like he has done, Hitler also gets a bad word from me, the man who headbutted him did well, shame the headbut was not more damaging as Abbot deserves a lot lot worse, I would lock him up for life if I had the chance, separating children from their familes and keeping them in cages in the jungle infested with malaria and not even providing them sanitation to the point where many suffered cholera was a crime against humanity, the bloke is a dirty little fascist, and it is hardly cowardly to serve some well needed justice when the powers that be fail to do so.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have to agree.

Violence shouldn't be condoned period. Except for clear self defense.

That doesn't seem at all controversial.

Again, this incident and any violent incidents that are linked to either the yes or no side have zilch to do with the reasons why anyone rational would vote for either side.

When someone is a criminal, as in this case was proven by the UN, but the local law prevents them from being convicted, the people will take the law into their own hands, it may not be pretty but a little headbutt it is a damn sight less that what Abbot has done and also far less that he deserves, over 250 children separated from their families and locked up for the crime of accompanying their parents as they attempted to flee war, 36 dead in cholera infested jungle camps, at least one murdered by guards, another dead due to being denied simple antibiotics and at least 29 raped, and at a cost of only 2 million dollars per immigrant prevented from burdening the state, at least it made sense financially and was not just a fascists wet dream!  I wonder how many would be calling foul if the person who was headbutted was a pedo, a murderer or some such other criminal, rather than the organiser of fascist death camps that he is.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There may sometimes be good and pleasant reasons for heads to be in butts, but you don't resolve issues with political violence. Period. End of story. 

So no American revolution, back to being British for them, no French Revolution, back to living in servitude for them, no Carnation revolution for the Portuguese, back to living in fascism for them, no Tibetan uprising so no Dalai Llama at all as he surely would have been killed, the list is almost endless, if it actually were true what you had said then we would all be living under crazy despots, slaves to another mans slightest whim, thankfully what you said was nonsense, many issues are solved with political violence, it has brought freedom to more people in this world than anything else.

52 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It is hardly off topic, he got the headbut for a reason!  And I find it necessary to demonise everyone who commits atrocities like he has done, Hitler also gets a bad word from me, the man who headbutted him did well, shame the headbut was not more damaging as Abbot deserves a lot lot worse, I would lock him up for life if I had the chance, separating children from their familes and keeping them in cages in the jungle infested with malaria and not even providing them sanitation to the point where many suffered cholera was a crime against humanity, the bloke is a dirty little fascist, and it is hardly cowardly to serve some well needed justice when the powers that be fail to do so.

Political violence takes us no where, neither does what you are talking about.  Would you clarify what you are referring to with the children, parents, people being kept in cages and the rest you have so eloquently put together in this and your following post.   I for one have no idea what you are on about, maybe others would be interested also.  Be factual rather than listing a post full of innuendos, bile and hatred, it's not really becoming but then we are all anonymous, aren't we? :wai:

18 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

So no American revolution, back to being British for them, no French Revolution, back to living in servitude for them, no Carnation revolution for the Portuguese, back to living in fascism for them, no Tibetan uprising so no Dalai Llama at all as he surely would have been killed, the list is almost endless, if it actually were true what you had said then we would all be living under crazy despots, slaves to another mans slightest whim, thankfully what you said was nonsense, many issues are solved with political violence, it has brought freedom to more people in this world than anything else.

Heaven help us, equating a head butt to a revolution, what further nonsense are we going to be subjected to. :shock1::wai: