UK Expat Mortgages

iBike

UK or even non-uk guys taken UK mortgages while abroad?

Looking to invest in a small property, prob 150k GBP with 25% of value as deposit. Having issues with the banks. Some will not lend, others will only lend 250k+ mortgages.

Know more flexible lenders?

Natwest International used to do them but I heard they stopped last year. Would be worth enquiring though.

Others to try include Marsden Building Society and Al Rayan Bank. As a non resident you will probably have to put up a 35% deposit rather than the usual 25%.

Good luck

UOB SINGAPORE lend to foreigners for Thailand. However it took a mountain of paperwork and some pushing but after 6 months got a loan. They lend 10, 15 or 20 years, its more of a loan than a mortgage. Fairly high rate too.

I'm from uk but live in thailand but work offshore. So that's why banks want to know every detail.

12 hours ago, iBike said:

UK or even non-uk guys taken UK mortgages while abroad?

Looking to invest in a small property, prob 150k GBP with 25% of value as deposit. Having issues with the banks. Some will not lend, others will only lend 250k+ mortgages.

Know more flexible lenders?

I got one when I lived in Thailand - but it was a remortgage for our house in London.

It was with Lloyds (Cheltenham & Gloucester) - but it was back in 2010, and I'm not even sure they still do mortgages for people living abroad (am back in London now). The mortgage was previously with the Woolwich (taken out before they were bought by Barclays), but I was in the UK when I took that out.

I think your problem will be that the change in rules on mortgages after the Financial Crisis means that the banks tightened up all the rules, and that affects your ability to prove you have the income to pay the mortgage.

Thanks.

I'll look into Marsden Building Society and Al Rayan Bank. Seen Skipton also so they all could be worthwhile investigating.

is Uk mortgage/UK property.

Interatingly for Thai mortgages, looks like UOB will now offer direct mortgages with their Thai banks rather than the SG/HK Offshore bullshit. Might be for people who have stable employment in TH though.

cheers