Thai Social Security Coverage and Private Health Insurance Companies

Cutty Shark

Good evening.   I’ve heard that it may be possible to self-pay for coverage in the Thai social security system.  I’d appreciate reading some information from anyone who does this.

Also, in case social security coverage is not available to me, I’d appreciate receiving recommendations of private health insurance companies.  Thank you.

Thank you.  By the way, last week I asked a Thai friend to contact Social Security to ask whether foreigners who are in the system already (in my case, six years) are eligible for self-pay health coverage after leaving their job, but she was told no.  So, I’m glad to see that you are getting health coverage.  I guess my friend and/or the clerk misunderstood something.

I've had advice on this from my lawyer, which is:

- If your already a member, you can claim back your contributions on retirement and at the same time you can  elect to continue your membership, at 432Baht a month, until death. This relates to the form you fill, something like:

- I want in to claim back my contributions and end the scheme.

or

- I want to claim back my past contributions but remain a member at the 432Baht a month rate.  

- Further to above, you cannot go back later, even 1 day later, and ask to continue.

- If you have never worked in Thailand you cannot join the SS scheme, ever.

BUT, I've heard other farang give slightly different versions of this, seems that the SS office in different locations has different interpretations of the regulations. 

Edited by scorecard

I applied for and recieved my continuing membership within the prescribed 6 months after retiring. About 8 years ago. When all arrangements completed they asked have you requested pension money yet? I said "no didnt know i could" response was just a minute i will check how much you could get, on being told it was 100,000 baht i said " yes please" :) left with cheque about 20 minutes later. 

Amount to pay monthly can vary, was reduced recently due to hardship of members but back to normal now i think. 

At the beginning of March I declared at the S. Sec. office that I stopped working at the end of February. I was given a choice of a lump-sum or a monthly payment till my last day + 3 (or 6, can't remember) more months to my next of kin. I was told that the lump-sum option is available only to those who were in the system up to about 179 months or so, longer than that - only monthly payments. I chose the lump-sum which was paid into my bank account about 10 days later.

I was informed my medical cover continues for 6 more months, after which I can pay a monthly fee of 432 THB to continue the medical cover.

I went back on 1st SEP to check about continuing the medical cover. The guy at the information desk said I was 1 day late.... He then went to check with one of the clerks and came back saying he was wrong and I still have 6 more months to decide and get back into the system, gave me the form to complete.

I am not sure the second answer was the correct one or not, as I haven't filled up the forms yet. I am not sure the coverage worth the 432 THB per month. Last month few hospitals lef the system, more will probably get out of it too. In both S. Sec and the 30 THB schemes you are assigned to 1 specific hospital out of the list. with the S. Sec system you can go to other hospitals in case of emergency - if a government hospital you don't pay, if a private hospital you pay and then have to clam back the payment. However, I don't know how much it covers at all - which is one of the questions on the OP which hasn't been addressed so far.

How long does a Thai have to work and pay into the SS system before they can   quit but still get SS medical coverage by paying the 432 baht a month ?

and a 2nd question , can you be in both the SS medical coverage  by paying 432 baht and the 30 baht scheme at the same time,  

thanks for the info

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

At the beginning of March I declared at the S. Sec. office that I stopped working at the end of February. I was given a choice of a lump-sum or a monthly payment till my last day + 3 (or 6, can't remember) more months to my next of kin. I was told that the lump-sum option is available only to those who were in the system up to about 179 months or so, longer than that - only monthly payments. I chose the lump-sum which was paid into my bank account about 10 days later.

I was informed my medical cover continues for 6 more months, after which I can pay a monthly fee of 432 THB to continue the medical cover.

I went back on 1st SEP to check about continuing the medical cover. The guy at the information desk said I was 1 day late.... He then went to check with one of the clerks and came back saying he was wrong and I still have 6 more months to decide and get back into the system, gave me the form to complete.

I am not sure the second answer was the correct one or not, as I haven't filled up the forms yet. I am not sure the coverage worth the 432 THB per month. Last month few hospitals lef the system, more will probably get out of it too. In both S. Sec and the 30 THB schemes you are assigned to 1 specific hospital out of the list. with the S. Sec system you can go to other hospitals in case of emergency - if a government hospital you don't pay, if a private hospital you pay and then have to clam back the payment. However, I don't know how much it covers at all - which is one of the questions on the OP which hasn't been addressed so far.

IMO: sign up now, this insurance is, besides the civil servants one, the best you'll find. However I also think you have to sign up within 6 months, and those 6 months may have lapsed already.

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

How long does a Thai have to work and pay into the SS system before they can   quit but still get SS medical coverage by paying the 432 baht a month ?

and a 2nd question , can you be in both the SS medical coverage  by paying 432 baht and the 30 baht scheme at the same time,  

thanks for the info

Can't be on both systems - either S. Sec or 30 Baht.

In order to retire one must be over 50

LukKreung, did you decide to sign up at the end of March, and did you sign up successfully?

I ask because today I went to sign up but was told that coverage for foreigners ended two years ago.

May I ask what local office you went to, please?

Edited by Cutty Shark
typo

12 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Can't be on both systems - either S. Sec or 30 Baht.

In order to retire one must be over 50

thanks , but what if a Thai had a job ,  was fired or the company went out of business.

How long did they have to pay into SS  so they can now pay the 432 baht a month and keep the SS healthcare

did they need to have the job  and pay into SS system , 6 months , 1 year ?  5 years ?

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

thanks , but what if a Thai had a job ,  was fired or the company went out of business.

How long did they have to pay into SS  so they can now pay the 432 baht a month and keep the SS healthcare

did they need to have the job  and pay into SS system , 6 months , 1 year ?  5 years ?

if a person was let go he/she is entitled for unemployment benefits. I'm not sure how long one can get the benefits and I don't know how many months they have to be paying social security before they can get it

12 hours ago, Cutty Shark said:

LukKreung, did you decide to sign up at the end of March, and did you sign up successfully?

I ask because today I went to sign up but was told that coverage for foreigners ended two years ago.

May I ask what local office you went to, please?

Social security coverage is still there.

What he was probably referring to is the scheme where there was a very cheap coverage for foreigners. This was meant for workers from nearby countries like Myanmar, but many foreigners signed up as well. As soon as that became apparent, the coverage for westerners was ended.

On 26/09/2017 at 7:00 AM, LukKrueng said:

It's the same for everyone - 12 months.

You can continue after the 12 months paying into the system if you lose eligibility through employment for any reason.

On 28/09/2017 at 9:27 AM, Cutty Shark said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Yes, I was referring to the self-pay plan that some posters mentioned.

Actually I don't think it is the same self pay that others are talking about.

Social security is initially gained only through employment. 

The scheme mentioned for migrant workers that was incorrectly open to all foreigners was/is not the same thing.  That cost was just a couple thousand a year, and requires a physical.  It is not supposed to include anyone except migrant workers from the surrounding countries.

Hi everyone. I am 50 years old. I am in the system and made contributions for about 10 years. I recently stopped work but continued with the 432 baht monthly health payment.

Questions:

- I only contributed to the system for 10 years which is less than 180 months. Can I take back my contributions when I reach 55 years old?

- 432 baht monthly. Is this just purely health care and not going into the old age contribution?

- If I die before 55 of age, what happens to all my contributions? My parents are dead. I am single. Can I appoint a Thai person or someone to inherit the money?

Thank you

On 5.10.2017 at 7:18 PM, oppo said:

Hi everyone. I am 50 years old. I am in the system and made contributions for about 10 years. I recently stopped work but continued with the 432 baht monthly health payment.

I have removed or closed three other duplicates of your inquire.

Cross posting violates forum rules and creates confusion.

If there is no response you have to accept that simply no one on the forum has the answer.