New Build in Khon Kaen

9 hours ago, Naam said:

a bathroom door opening to the outside. and i thought we have the only house in Thailand where bathroom doors are installed like this. but that fact hardly mitigates the crime comitted. you know what i'm talking about.

by the way, i counted 37 different tiles/colours. is that correct? or are some room pictures missing?

Usually i make it sliding doors for bathrooms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

We stayed at a hotel, where when I went in the bathroom I could not find the light switch.

Who goes in the bathroom closes the door and in the dark looks for the switch???

only achitectural criminals and other shady people  locate the bathroom light switch on the inside. i've never experienced a hotel with that arrangement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Usually i make it sliding doors for bathrooms.

the homes i built in the U.S. had sliding doors galore. but there one could let the doors slide into the wall. Thailand not same, same but velly diffelent!

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

why would anybody with an IQ above 82.5 and zero alcohol in his/her bloodstream design a door which opens to the inside of (usually) the smallest rooms in a home and reduce the usability even more?

Usually interior doors open to the inside to keep  from knocking people on the noggin  when opening a door not knowing what is on the other side.

In the US after a nightclub fire where the door was opening to the inside, and people trying to escape piled up against the door preventing it from opening, a lot of people died, and they changed the code to have doors where a lot of people congregate open to the outside.

As far as my situation is concerned, barely double digit IQ is the operative word.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 10:20 PM, sirineou said:

image.png.f99f0d90936ca6bda904533d929a18e7.png

My understanding or are Value is as a benchmark with 1 inch of wood having  a value of R1 and  1 inch of fiberglass R3 In the above table it is expressed in  f/btu  , a litle confusing to me. 

Am I to assume then that the 5MM is R19? and the 10MM is R 20? 

it would not make sense ,one would assume that double the thickness increase ,even though not directly proportional, would be significantly more than one inch of wood.

Simpy put I don't understand the above table.

to understand you require a Master's in "Thai Engineering Logic" combined with "Thai Thermo Physics".

1 hour ago, Naam said:

the homes i built in the U.S. had sliding doors galore. but there one could let the doors slide into the wall. Thailand not same, same but velly diffelent!

They are called pocket doors. Great for bathrooms and closets. They are hung from a tract [ like sliding security doors ] and should be easy to source here in Thailand.

BTW, unless I missed it, I did not see any provisions for ceiling fans, ethernet and security camera wiring. 

12 hours ago, Naam said:

......you know what i'm talking about.

haha.

In mitigation I'll reinforce my approval of the tapered columns the last photo they look fine. What's more i approve the oxblood colour which it looks like they're becoming......guess the unapproved white was just undercoat.

If I would say one minor thing, it's about the split level/hidden lighting (is there hidden lighting?) ceiling. I note you have done it like most, lowered at the sides.

I've noticed with great approval at a well designed place I stay that there is just one side of the room raised....in other words the main part of the ceiling is lower by X inches. The nice thing is the raised side is the whole side with wall to wall sliding glass doors, and a full length curtain. 

The nice things is you don't see the top of the curtain........the ceiling is essentially a pelmet and the whole wall curtain.....also there is subdued hidden lighting which looks good on the curtain, brighter at the top dimmer as it goes down.

I dare say this "reversed" type of split level ceiling could go further round the room, perhaps not close to the edge like the curtain side, and the hidden lighting may look good illuminating walls and maybe paintings.

This is not a criticism, don't want you losing sleep over it :)

Edited by cheeryble

EDIT last post 

I found a picture for you.....I described it poorly. Try again.

The dropped part of the ceiling goes all round the room at the edges EXCEPT there's a gap for the hidden downlit (strip LED lights) curtain to slot in on the glass doors side. The curtain thus looks to cover the whole side of the room and nice moody lighting.The difference also being the downlights round the rest of the room are mounted into the dropped edge (not the central higher area). This takes most advantage of their light to highlight paintings and add more moody lighting in parabolas on the walls.

As the small LED inset downlights would be easy to move or retrofit, this is still an option for you.

(Sorry curtains aren't closed and hidden lights for them are off.)

Screenshot 2018-02-10 11.19.30.jpg

Edited by cheeryble

29 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

This is not a criticism, don't want you losing sleep over it :)

I would have thought that by now you would have realised the nature of my affliction, and be kind to those of as who are aesthetically challenged. 

For me Ceilings serve three basic  functions.

One is to keep the rain out,

Two prevent bird poop from hitting me on the head ,

and last  but not least, conceal the approach of any and all fiery meteors hurling my direction because I ascribe to the time tested theory of "what I can't see can't hurt me" ! 

Aesthetics is my wife's domain., a quality in which she so obviously excels in, as exhibited by her choice   of such a handsome specimen of a husband as me.:tongue:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

They are called pocket doors. Great for bathrooms and closets. They are hung from a tract [ like sliding security doors ] and should be easy to source here in Thailand.

BTW, unless I missed it, I did not see any provisions for ceiling fans, ethernet and security camera wiring. 

Glad you mentioned:

27848460_571444803203861_20087002_n.jpg?oh=0e0f23d6ca1990a72f0d077bf399ea95&oe=5A81270F

This will be a hung out area with a table and some wicker furniture, there will be a bar with a sink and a small stove . There is a koi pond under the stairs. If I put a small refrigerator there for the beer . and having the bathroom on the other side, I might never go upstairs LOL

Also Ceiling fans in the living room, and both bedrooms.

Living room and both  bedrooms have an Cable, and ethernet connection, also in addition to all the lights on the columns 

27783410_570968256584849_1711667424_n.jpg?oh=ef88b9005cf316afc606ae83b3f7e5e2&oe=5A82131E

I am installing flood lights high up on the soffit, that I hope will illuminate the whole yard. 

Have not wired in security cameras as I think the technology is going wireless.

My friend has a system where he can view the house on his smartphone from anywhere in the world.  I am not sure if such thing is a good idea as I am sure such thing can be hacked and one could find oneself being a star on Youtube.

Or even worst not being able to lie to the wife about all the work you are doing at the house while she is away.. LOL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

Glad you mentioned:

27848460_571444803203861_20087002_n.jpg?oh=0e0f23d6ca1990a72f0d077bf399ea95&oe=5A81270F

This will be a hung out area with a table and some wicker furniture, there will be a bar with a sink and a small stove . There is a koi pond under the stairs. If I put a small refrigerator there for the beer . and having the bathroom on the other side, I might never go upstairs LOL

Also Ceiling fans in the living room, and both bedrooms.

Living room and both  bedrooms have an Cable, and ethernet connection, also in addition to all the lights on the columns 

27783410_570968256584849_1711667424_n.jpg?oh=ef88b9005cf316afc606ae83b3f7e5e2&oe=5A82131E

I am installing flood lights high up on the soffit, that I hope will illuminate the whole yard. 

My friend has a system where he can view the house on his smartphone from anywhere in the world.  I am not sure if such thing is a good idea as I am sure such thing can be hacked and one could find oneself being a star on Youtube.

Or even worst not being able to lie to the wife about all the work you are doing at the house while she is away.. LOL

I wouldn't worry too much about being hacked. Wireless security is available and great for existing homes where wiring may be difficult. Nothing beats a wired connection.

Glad to hear you didn't overlook the fans and ethernet wiring. Your doing an awesome job...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

even wireless security cameras need power plus hardwired is in every respect much better than wireless.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cheeryble said:
1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:
I stopped installing ceiling fans wall fans are more practical and effective.

Agreed, and you can point them where u like

and their best feature is that they can be switched off :crazy:

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I stopped installing ceiling fans wall fans are more practical and effective.

That's arguable but not necessarily incorrect.

IMO both have  uses that are not mutually exclusive.  

Ceiling fans are nice because they are out of the way , always there , and are reversible.  And I certainly plan to have some Pedestal fans that I can move around as needed.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

That's arguable but not necessarily incorrect.

IMO both have  uses that are not mutually exclusive.  

Ceiling fans are nice because they are out of the way , always there , and are reversible.  And I certainly plan to have some Pedestal fans that I can move around as needed.

I only place wall fans and high up the wall so they never disturb me. But ceiling fans do look nicer.

also ceiling fans about 5000 bht they last aprox 2 years then wall fans 1200 they last 3 years. If u have a lot of rooms.bedrooms i do wall fans but living room or kitchen ceiling still possible but not every room.

Edited by Destiny1990

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

also ceiling fans about 5000 bht they last aprox 2 years

Objection Your Honour!

the ceiling fans in my wife's den and ''computer room'' are running nearly nonstop since 11½ years without any problems.

• Like 1

My brother is an electrician and got a lot of work when he first started out , installing ceiling fans.

He said over the years a lot of very poor quality fans hit the market , and he started getting call backs to remove or replace them under warranty.

So much so that he ended up having to specify which brands he would work with.

He said some women  wouldnt listen , and  try to insist he put up $35 fans that he knew would break.

So choose wisely .

If it were me I would just have quailty chrome pedestals , one in every room , 2 in living areas.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:42 PM, Jeffrey346 said:

Found a picture of the Cable/ internet outlet box located in the livingroom and each of the bedrooms.

Not sure if the wiring inside is CAT6 ,I will check when I get back in the Fall, 

27939156_571911779823830_1473872177_n.jpg?oh=a103b9af14eb29ab1522017d958d4207&oe=5A82ADBC

27993876_571911773157164_1700030204_n.jpg?oh=e8aea60e07d995f77e48f05044ded76a&oe=5A826083

also they installed the floodlights and  the started removing the scaffolding .

27849646_571911983157143_234243997_n.jpg?oh=10645dce1bad5e443856eaa5522de0bc&oe=5A82A462

28001334_571911823157159_1452635536_n.jpg?oh=1d2168067dbc1f314d4746ab60135a17&oe=5A823409

From the window you can see another of the ceiling fan. Still waiting for the windows to be delivered.

In the picture you can see the daughter of one of the workers, such a cute girl!  Nice too see parents bringing their kids to work with them, instead of propping them in front of a TV.

PS: I see the hanging wire on one of the flood lights and have asked that it is trimmed.or coiled and secured with a zip tie.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Naam said:

Objection Your Honour!

the ceiling fans in my wife's den and ''computer room'' are running nearly nonstop since 11½ years without any problems.

Yes back then u got the good quality ceiling fans but nowadays the ceiling fans last less long. But still Ceiling fans or Wall fans are a must have in each room.

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

Found a picture of the Cable/ internet outlet box located in the livingroom and each of the bedrooms.

Not sure if the wiring inside is CAT6 ,I will check when I get back in the Fall, 

27939156_571911779823830_1473872177_n.jpg?oh=a103b9af14eb29ab1522017d958d4207&oe=5A82ADBC

27993876_571911773157164_1700030204_n.jpg?oh=e8aea60e07d995f77e48f05044ded76a&oe=5A826083

also they installed the floodlights and  the started removing the scaffolding .

27849646_571911983157143_234243997_n.jpg?oh=10645dce1bad5e443856eaa5522de0bc&oe=5A82A462

28001334_571911823157159_1452635536_n.jpg?oh=1d2168067dbc1f314d4746ab60135a17&oe=5A823409

From the window you can see another of the ceiling fan. Still waiting for the windows to be delivered.

In the picture you can see the daughter of one of the workers, such a cute girl!  Nice too see parents bringing their kids to work with them, instead of propping them in front of a TV.

PS: I see the hanging wire on one of the flood lights and have asked that it is trimmed.or coiled and secured with a zip tie.

That looks like landline not ethernet. But I may be wrong...

Edited by Jeffrey346

12 hours ago, sirineou said:
13 hours ago, Naam said:

:sick:

Did you eat an other  bad batch of Gagh again? I told you the stuff is going to kill you:tongue:

except for those in aircon units i consider all fans :sick: and that applies especially to fans which spoil the aesthetics of a furniture arrangement and the view of a fan mounted on the wall between two Mirós would cause me sleepless nights for a week or two.  

• Like 2