travelling with duty free alcohol and doing a transfer

wanderluster

If you must buy tax-free get it at your last transfer, or even on arrival at your destination. To be honest the savings (savings??) are not massive enough to mess about and risk providing the security chaps with an aperitif.

It's hardly worth it. If you transit from one secure flight side area to another one then you 'should' be OK.... But it's a grey area to some official's. Maybe wait till the 2nd leg of your journey and look for DF there...then if not see if there's a DF at your final leg. However, I think the difference is negligible compared to the deals for quality spirits at Lidls and the like which stock top quality, award winning  spirits.

11 hours ago, The manic said:

It's hardly worth it. If you transit from one secure flight side area to another one then you 'should' be OK.... But it's a grey area to some official's. Maybe wait till the 2nd leg of your journey and look for DF there...then if not see if there's a DF at your final leg. However, I think the difference is negligible compared to the deals for quality spirits at Lidls and the like which stock top quality, award winning  spirits.

while i agree Lidls is good, they dont sell alcohol in queensland according to their website. but once i get farther south i will stop in there.

thanks to the rest of you.

On 24/09/2017 at 6:51 PM, wanderluster said:

can you buy duty free alcohol in 1 airport, go to the next country and transfer planes with this. obviously seal still intact?

I am going bkk to singapore tranfering to another plane for 2nd leg to cairns australia.

thanks

ps i know the 2.25 litres per person rule in australia

To Australia NO. Unless it is in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB), with the invoice attached on the outside.

If if it isn't it will be confiscated in Singapore as it contravenes Australian regulations.

You may be able to buy it in Singapore in that kind of bag and it may be delivered to the plane as well.

AFIK this is a unique Australian rule.

10 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes you can in transit. I always buy duty free in UK before boarding flight to BKK which is always via somewhere. Never a problem as your always air side wating for connection.

Incorrect for Australia.
Must purchase at last airport before Australian sector

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

To Australia NO. Unless it is in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB), with the invoice attached on the outside.

If if it isn't it will be confiscated in Singapore as it contravenes Australian regulations.

You may be able to buy it in Singapore in that kind of bag and it may be delivered to the plane as well.

AFIK this is a unique Australian rule.

The joys of nanny state Australia

1 hour ago, cookieqw said:

better to buy in tesco put in main baggage

Flew with Jet Air , Heathrow to Mumbai , change to Bangkok . Bought a bottle of whisky on the plane, Heathrow / Mumbai leg . At Mumbai had to go through security before boarding flight to Bangkok where they took the bottle off me and poured the contents into a tureen .  Mumbai is the worse airport I have used with ignorant , ill mannered staff 

Maybe ok as said for Australia. But, if doing a 2 leg trip e.g. London Bangkok via India, or the Persian Gulf, you have to go through security between flights and you cannot take duty free through security screening  - i have seen them take it off passengers - they even confiscated 100 ml of water!

On 24 September 2017 at 10:51 PM, wanderluster said:

can you buy duty free alcohol in 1 airport, go to the next country and transfer planes with this. obviously seal still intact?

I am going bkk to singapore tranfering to another plane for 2nd leg to cairns australia.

thanks

ps i know the 2.25 litres per person rule in australia

If you intend to fly Qantas and you are takng it as carryon, they will search you at boarding gate in BKK AND SING. You are best wrapping it up and put in your check in bag. Bkk will also do xray going through and will take it off you. Even if you bought it from duty free. If you buy in BKK duty free ask f they can deliver to the lane.

Alcohol in Thailand is very cheap.  Like in Aus a bottle of Bundy Rum at a shop will cost yo about Aus$40 in Aus   700 mil 37.5% alcohol.  Rum in Thailand 750 mil 40% alcohol will cost about Aus $11 and pretty good.  Why go to all that trouble when you can buy good local stuff in Thailand at cheaper prices then Duty free at airports.  Even Western brands are often much cheaper price at the shops in Thailand then in your own country.  I buy duty free at the airport as you can when arriving back in Aus.  I never buy duty free when departing overseas from Aus.  That can be trouble spelt with a capital "T"

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I buy Scotch from my local liquor store in Thailand and pack it in my hold luggage. Liquor in your cabin baggage will be confiscated at any transfer point, even if you are in transit. That's the rules.

as for the bottles in hold luggage, dont think that is legal, is it.?   i thought you were only allowed duty free alcohol, plus not good idea in our case as we are renting a small motorhome so will be taking backpacks and not the hard cases, i have seen how luggage can be handled at times.

as for the transit from 1 airport to the other it does seem like a 50/50 split on if legal or not. dont need problems over saving 30-40 dollars, just pay aussie crazy prices.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The short answer is "Yes".

You'll need a minimum of 90 minutes between purchase and departure. The duty free shop will pack the item, ferry it to your departure gate, where you will retrieve after gate-security just before boarding.

The short answer is actually probably NO

A little difficult to buy in Thailand and get it delivered to the boarding gate in Singapore isn't it?

Edited by sometimewoodworker

4 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

as for the bottles in hold luggage, dont think that is legal, is it.?   i thought you were only allowed duty free alcohol, plus not good idea in our case as we are renting a small motorhome so will be taking backpacks and not the hard cases, i have seen how luggage can be handled at times.

Bottles of alcoholic drink in checked in baggage are perfectly legal and the limit is exactly the same.

there is absolutely nothing to stop you buying from a regular shop and packing it in your hold luggage.

if you exceed the duty free limit for import then you must declare it. If you don't then, if found, you will pay a penalty and lose the drink.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:34 AM, jeab1980 said:

Yes you can in transit. I always buy duty free in UK before boarding flight to BKK which is always via somewhere. Never a problem as your always air side wating for connection.

Maybe you can post which routes have not yet introduced a transit security check. I have not seen one in a long time. Had my duty free confiscated at Delhi.

The only sure bet is a direct flight. Just done BKK to MAN via LHR which meant no duty free.

I’d say you have no chance of getting a bottle bought in Thailand through security at Changi (and yes you do have to go through security as it’s at each & every gate there, they will check if the bottle was bought in Singapore & if not confiscate it).

When I fly via Dubai (Emirates) I often see them asking the Australian bound travellers to hand over the duty free & they must put it somewhere safe for them until they get to Aus (I.e they don’t take the bottle off the plane at Changi)

Obviously only works if you’re on the same plane for both legs

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Maybe you can post which routes have not yet introduced a transit security check. I have not seen one in a long time. Had my duty free confiscated at Delhi.

The only sure bet is a direct flight. Just done BKK to MAN via LHR which meant no duty free.

I usualy fly qatar airline Manchester to doha on to bkk i buy my duty free in manchester its sealed in a bag with receipts attached never had any problem

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The short answer is actually probably NO

I was specifically addressing the OP's question re: DF purchases in transit at SIN (BKK-SIN-Australia).

Once in SIN, re-clear security, make your purchase and assuming you have 90 minutes before departure, the shop will secure your package, and deliver it to your departure gate. After you clear gate-security, and have your BP scanned, your DF purchase will be waiting at/near/in the jet-way as you board the plane. Again, this is the procedure for SIN (and not BKK). Prices in SIN are a bit lower (3 % ~ 5 %) for 2,000 THB - 4,000 THB single malts (as an example).

I am pretty sure my answer is correct and accurate.

I was not addressing issues at BKK - although DF at BKK does offer the acceptable packaging for on-ward domestic flights.

Edited by mtls2005