Give yourself time to know if your ready

georgegeorgia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that some guys are getting it. Hanging on to the end at 65 because your work is everything exposes you to going from everything to nothing at the advanced age 0f 65. The job is not everything because like it or not its going to end sometime. The smart guy is the one who prepares for the new life and does it young enough to make a difference. Nothing worse than the sight of the older guy who thinks he is indispensable and the look on his face when he realises he isn't any more. It is as if all the air is escaping from their balloon and they are lost what to do. A knockout blow. Assuming one's financial situation is sound, don't drag it out.

18 hours ago, keithpa said:

If I went early , I wouldnt give a rats ars  about financial penalties.

I retired at 50 11 years ago but the penalties are pennies considering the amount. Lloyds offered a package and the alternative wasn't good...Hobsons choice!!

One of the things I have noticed, is that spending habits change when you are older. Now keeping debt free, long stretches away ( holiday not prison) walking cycling and trying to keep healthy. Cooking and gardening...sad but true.

In the eighties, clothes, latest camera ,hifi, drinking, and dating was important to a lifestyle I no longer have.

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I'm not sure that some guys are getting it. Hanging on to the end at 65 because your work is everything exposes you to going from everything to nothing at the advanced age 0f 65. The job is not everything because like it or not its going to end sometime. The smart guy is the one who prepares for the new life and does it young enough to make a difference. Nothing worse than the sight of the older guy who thinks he is indispensable and the look on his face when he realises he isn't any more. It is as if all the air is escaping from their balloon and they are lost what to do. A knockout blow. Assuming one's financial situation is sound, don't drag it out.

Retirement age, or more accurately the age you can access the age pension, has been raised to 67 now in Oz. And the government is pushing for it to be raised to 70 by 2035. 

Doesnt leave non-self funded retirees many options does it?

Fine if you’re a blue collar, office worker but I can’t see brickys, concas or other trades pounding there bodies into the ground at that age. 

Edited by MadMuhammad