Give yourself time to know if your ready

georgegeorgia

On 29/09/2017 at 12:55 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't let that go without commenting.

If anyone thinks kids are just a way to pass the time, I hope they never have the opportunity.

Bringing up children is the most important job anyone could ever have, and there are already too many bad people having children that should, IMO, have been neutered before being able to.

IMO, only people that prove they really want them and have the skill, knowledge, ability, finance and personality required should be allowed to have children in their care.

Yep!  That should fix the world's over-population problem!  Make people get a permit to produce kids after they have passed all the exams according to your criteria.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i too liked my work but retired at age 46 and then regretted that i didn't do it a few years earlier even though i could have afforded it. and in these 28 years of retirement i couldn't do half what i planned to do.

Financially I'm ok, could retire but I would like to hang in there and help my children buy their first homes too. Maybe that's an excuse to keep going but it seems like a reasonable thing to do. About the only thing that I did really enjoy about my time off a few years ago was the ability to focus on my diet and exercise. I'm not a bar type person so unless I join some groups retirement is a bit like solitary confinement.

3 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I can certainly understand getting down a little when you’re mind set is that of a worker. 

I had a high paying, management role as a construction electrician before I stopped working @ 36.

70+ hour weeks, high pressure work and super tight deadlines kept me on my toes and I loved it. 

I also worked on my weekends off in nightclub security, a second job that I worked regularly for 15+ years, to build my savings to invest in property. 

I now haven’t worked for 3+ years and I’ve been to Thailand 21 times since 2011. I’ve spent anywhere up to a couple of months at a time in country, at one time I was returning at 3-5 weeks intervals. I admit it took me some time to change my mindset from a super stimulated, 24/7 work orientated way to what it is now. 

But now I just concentrate on my health, exercise and formulate my plan for my permanent relocation. 

Once I do relocate I’ll be enrolling in a Thai language school, working more on my fitness, travelling further around Thailand (I’ve been to 15 odd provinces so far), visit nearby countries more, enjoy the weather, visit friends I have living all over Thailand, enjoy Thai hospitality and enjoy learning more about Thai culture and Thailand than is possible in semi short trips. 

I feel it’ll be a long time, if ever, that’ll I’ll ever be bored. 

Maybe your friend is just struggling to break out of the western ‘I gotta work to feel worthy and useful’ mindset? I know I went through some tough times getting past this line of thought but once I did life has become a much more enjoyable place to be.

You only live once, make it count! And money ain’t everything 

I'm in similar work environment though now I'm a company director. Lots of countries, lots of adrenaline, even getting to work is an adventure. every project is different so it always feels the same but different, so it's refreshing. My wife and I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket, plus travelled around to different towns, so we agree we will retire somewhere in Thailand eventually.

6 hours ago, Spock said:

Phuket is a dump. Don't know what you see in it. A tourist island and home to the unfriendliest, most affluent Thais in the country. No better than Pattaya. 

I agree. The educated affluent Phuket or even Bangkok Thais are not awed by farangs, neither are they subservient to them. Really unfriendly and a contrast to the poor and low educated isaan village girls who recognize the true value of farangs.

Retire early if you can.  i did :thumbsup:

Don't put to much stock into the silly billies of TV. ( work more )

you may not make it to retirement age.

or retire and die 2 years latter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all that work and all that money gets spent for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps   Also better to go down with guns blazing.

(use your imagination ) :licklips:

Much better than dribbling out the side of your mouth in a care home.

scared and surrounded by people you don't know.

if your lucky.

Edited by stanleycoin

4 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Believe me, you should try to work for as long as possible. Studies have shown it extends your life expectancy ( Boeing ), and of course your financial security should improve as well.

Starting a family at 60 is not such a good idea. Coping with one or more teenagers in your seventies is not my idea of fun.

I'm not sure why you're quoting the "Boeing Study".

"A paper attributed to the aircraft-maker Boeing shows that employees who retire at 55 live to, on average, 83. But those who retire at 65 only last, on average, another 18 months.

The "Boeing study" has been quoted by newspapers, magazines and pundits. It's circulated on the internet for years. The problem with it is that Boeing itself says it's simply not true."

From my studies I believe the following: If your work is the most important thing in your life and you have few outside interests or hobbies, you should never retire. These people quite often die soon after retirement.

On the other hand, if you have many interests and hobbies you should retire as early as possible to pursue them. 

53 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm not sure why you're quoting the "Boeing Study".

"A paper attributed to the aircraft-maker Boeing shows that employees who retire at 55 live to, on average, 83. But those who retire at 65 only last, on average, another 18 months.

The "Boeing study" has been quoted by newspapers, magazines and pundits. It's circulated on the internet for years. The problem with it is that Boeing itself says it's simply not true."

From my studies I believe the following: If your work is the most important thing in your life and you have few outside interests or hobbies, you should never retire. These people quite often die soon after retirement.

On the other hand, if you have many interests and hobbies you should retire as early as possible to pursue them. 

My colleague at work, since retired, had sight of actuarial figures showing that life expectancy declined for those retiring after the age of 62. It is worth pointing out that for those whose work is the most important thing in their life, the ability to cope with the change which eventually comes with the termination of that employment, declines the older they get. I recall guys who hung on to 65 looked pretty much the worse for wear in their last year or so. The ones who went at 60ish still had the energy to sort out a new existence.

I couldn't help notice the guy the OP met is in Thailand for 9 months on paid leave from his police officer job in the UK.   It made me think of all the posts I've read on the 'multiple entry tourist visa' thread in the immigration forum about how when people go to a Thai embassy in their home country to try and get the Multiple entry tourist visa that gives you up to 9 months stay they ask for proof that you have a job in your home country.  Many people's reaction to this request is 'what?!  who has a job that gives you 9 months off and still have a job to go back to?'  I guess now we know.  police officers in the UK.  What a great deal for them!  Not only can they get 9 months paid time off to frequent prostitutes in Pattaya, but if they get depressed they can go back to their job and pick up right where they left off arresting people in the UK for doing the same thing.  what a world we live in.

Edited by kharmabum

1 hour ago, kharmabum said:

I couldn't help notice the guy the OP met is in Thailand for 9 months on paid leave from his police officer job in the UK.   It made me think of all the posts I've read on the 'multiple entry tourist visa' thread in the immigration forum about how when people go to a Thai embassy in their home country to try and get the Multiple entry tourist visa that gives you up to 9 months stay they ask for proof that you have a job in your home country.  Many people's reaction to this request is 'what?!  who has a job that gives you 9 months off and still have a job to go back to?'  I guess now we know.  police officers in the UK.  What a great deal for them!  Not only can they get 9 months paid time off to frequent prostitutes in Pattaya, but if they get depressed they can go back to their job and pick up right where they left off arresting people in the UK for doing the same thing.  what a world we live in.

Excellent points!  

How the heck do the UK taxpayers allow this?  Even Brexit won't help a country saddled with totally irresponsible policies. Is it commonplace in the UK for everyone to get a nine months paid vacation?

11 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I work pretty long hours, normally about 14 hours a day on site but still love it. I took nearly 1 1/2 years off about 4 years ago and at the end of it I felt that I had won lotto when I went back to work. I think the issue was that while I enjoyed doing nothing I didn't feel like I was doing anything meaningful with my time, in fact I felt like I was just letting time slip by with no reason. 

As long as you are happy, keep going. I once thought I would never retire because i loved to work, until I didn't anymore and so I changed my life. Keep flexible. And this gnawing feeling of needing to be productive is one of those things from our Western upbringing that is not so important here for many Thai people and I would not say they are lacking anything for it - but maybe leading a less stressed life. And in 100 years we will all be ash & dust anyway.

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

All emotion is ephemeral and shallow here, and usually has something to do with money anyway. Truth is another item in very short supply.

Anyone looking for love or even sincerity should not be here.

If by "here" you mean Pattaya, that is probably correct - not sure about the 99.9% of the rest of Thailand - - I see plenty of decent people and good relationships... yes, there are bad ones too, & amongst Thai & Thai as well. But, the % is not much different than the West, I would guess. 

5 hours ago, Watchful said:

Excellent points!  

How the heck do the UK taxpayers allow this?  Even Brexit won't help a country saddled with totally irresponsible policies. Is it commonplace in the UK for everyone to get a nine months paid vacation?

May a guess it would be long serivece leave plus accumulated annual leave? 

In oz we get approximately 8 weeks long service for every 10 years of service. Throw in a few years of untaken 4 weeks of annual leave (which accumulates) and is feasible one couldn’t take 9 months leave. Especially possible in a government service it’s a large amount of employees to fill your position. 

An example; my mother has 500+ hours of sick leave plus 300+ hours of annual leave owing to her at this time. 

12 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I work pretty long hours, normally about 14 hours a day on site but still love it. I took nearly 1 1/2 years off about 4 years ago and at the end of it I felt that I had won lotto when I went back to work. I think the issue was that while I enjoyed doing nothing I didn't feel like I was doing anything meaningful with my time, in fact I felt like I was just letting time slip by with no reason. 

I too had trouble adjusting from finding ‘meaning’ in life after finishing work but after some time I feel lucky to lead the life I do now I’ve adjusted. 

I believe I had an even bigger hill to climb as I lost a large amount of my hobbies through injury. No gym, no sport, and limited mobility for quite some time. 

I liken change to getting a new job, you never really look or take it seriously until you are faced with the situation.

On 26/09/2017 at 8:30 AM, craigt3365 said:

I know quite a few who are tired of Central Pattaya and moving outside the city a bit.  Still nearby, but not in the chaos.  Completely different lifestyle.

But yes, you need something to do.  Especially at that early age.  Plenty to do here, but you need the motivation and money to do it.

I live 30 miles outside of the City and it was a great decision.  Been here 4 months now and I  dont at all regret the location.  We go into the City maybe once a week and that's enough for us.

21 hours ago, Bundooman said:

That's right, have a snide at Brits.

Disgusting. The snides are reserved for non-Brits, esp. Thais, Chinese, & Russians. Why can't we have "dislikes" for posts???

Enlighten me dear chappie, where does it actually say that this "Brit" missed the 'Pub'?

Goes without saying that if this "Brit" was missing anything, it would surely have been the reading rooms at the Bodleian. Let's get real, shall we? Obviously our dear chappie, thaibeachlovers, has little in common with yer average Brit except for the gloom & doom. Though, in fairness, he's doing much better lately after having moved to Chiang Mai, where he can't walk up & down Beach Rd. :smile:

Edited by JSixpack

20 hours ago, Spock said:

My comment applied to Phuket only. Not beaches elsewhere in Thailand or Thais in general. I lived in Phuket for a year in 1996, in Nai Harn which was one of the nicer, less spoiled areas of the island. You are no doubt aware that Phuket is the most affluent province per capita in Thailand, hence my reference. I speak Thai reasonably well, and actually have many Thai friends and am happily accepted by Thai people. To me, Phuket was a tourist island, although there were/are some out of the way places where some expats resided - perhaps you live in such a location, away from the seething tourist crowds. Patong and Karon beaches were destroyed by tourism 20 years ago; physically, in terms of stripped vegetation, and culturally. I can't imagine they have improved since then but as I have never returned to Phuket, I cannot be certain. In any case, you have a better chance of meeting 'effluent farangs' in Phuket than just about anywhere else in Thailand. Phuket is not a place in which I would choose to live, but each to their own.

I dont live Phuket, Ive been in Pattaya for 13 years. Thats why Im moving to  phuket.

14 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

That's my #1 problem with retiring to Thailand.  I'm sitting here after my WP wasn't renewed this year and want to do something productive.  But can't in Thailand, without the risk of getting tossed out for violating the laws that require a WP.  And I don't want to register a business, hire 4 Thai's and file tax documents every month.  In fact, I may never make a dime.  I just want to try some things without getting the boot for working if I piss off the wrong local.  More for the mental activity and to absorb the cost of my hobbies than a for-profit endeavor.

Rant over.

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

My colleague at work, since retired, had sight of actuarial figures showing that life expectancy declined for those retiring after the age of 62. It is worth pointing out that for those whose work is the most important thing in their life, the ability to cope with the change which eventually comes with the termination of that employment, declines the older they get. I recall guys who hung on to 65 looked pretty much the worse for wear in their last year or so. The ones who went at 60ish still had the energy to sort out a new existence.

I'm a little skeptical whether that's just a correlation, or a causative relationship.  I suspect a lot of people who work longer need to keep working for financial reasons, the same reasons that cause poor people to have a shorter lifespans- access to top notch health care, time off to get that health care, etc.  Obviously, that's not universally true- some people love what they do- but the statistics don't seem to break out those who work longer by choice and those who work longer (kicking and screaming) by necessity.

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm a little skeptical whether that's just a correlation, or a causative relationship.  I suspect a lot of people who work longer need to keep working for financial reasons, the same reasons that cause poor people to have a shorter lifespans- access to top notch health care, time off to get that health care, etc.  Obviously, that's not universally true- some people love what they do- but the statistics don't seem to break out those who work longer by choice and those who work longer (kicking and screaming) by necessity.

Nothing one can do if having to work longer through necessity. Just got to get on with it. My point was with regards to those who have their work as central to their existence but have the option whether to continue or not. Eventually that work will cease and every year the work continues is one year less for spending a substantial period of time presumably in Thailand, more to the point one less year for focusing on the new life after the all-consuming employment. Some guys seem to want their cake and eat it. They are always the guys who keep working 'just one more year' and either never make it or only consider stopping their work when they run out of puff.  Maybe a bit of backwards and forwards on short trips. The question is really whether the longer-term Thailand (or equivalent) thing is that important to them. Presumably not. Fine. Keep working then. I guess this is part of the process of self-discovery as to whether one is ready or not. And for some it will always really be no. Saving up until the end of days.

Edited by SheungWan

36 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Nothing one can do if having to work longer through necessity. Just got to get on with it. My point was with regards to those who have their work as central to their existence but have the option whether to continue or not. Eventually that work will cease and every year the work continues is one year less for spending a substantial period of time presumably in Thailand, more to the point one less year for focusing on the new life after the all-consuming employment. Some guys seem to want their cake and eat it. They are always the guys who keep working 'just one more year' and either never make it or only consider stopping their work when they run out of puff.  Maybe a bit of backwards and forwards on short trips. The question is really whether the longer-term Thailand (or equivalent) thing is that important to them. Presumably not. Fine. Keep working then. I guess this is part of the process of self-discovery as to whether one is ready or not. And for some it will always really be no. Saving up until the end of days.

Most people  die within 3 years of retirement, no matter what age they retired at. Read that somewhere.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

They are always the guys who keep working 'just one more year' and either never make it or only consider stopping their work when they run out of puff.  Maybe a bit of backwards and forwards on short trips. The question is really whether the longer-term Thailand (or equivalent) thing is that important to them. Presumably not. Fine. Keep working then. I guess this is part of the process of self-discovery as to whether one is ready or not. And for some it will always really be no. Saving up until the end of days...

...because nobody informed them that the last shirt has no pockets.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:22 PM, stanleycoin said:

Bored living here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't buy it.

Think he lacked funds or imagination or both.

There is loads of things to do around this town and loads just a sort 

distance out of town.

But you need the dosh to do it all. :thumbsup:

As a retiring police officer, he should have a good pension, as long as he has done the required 25 or 30 years, otherwise he will have to wait until 60 or even 65 to get a deferred pension, i think its still 30 year service and 55 years old to get the best deal.

I think anyone need the incentive to more here full time, love for the way of life, or the love of a GOOD women 50/50 would be ideal but can work out expensive to maintain a property  in the UK, a summer caravan on a good site would be one way, as is lodging with good friends, is a cheap alternative. my dream would be a summer 5 months in a reliable vw, may to sept. in the UK. but thts just me.

OP all the best with your decision, but don't leave it too long, as you never know when the end will come to the good years in health.

42 minutes ago, Naam said:

...because nobody informed them that the last shirt has no pockets.

It seems to make no difference. They will not budge even after the above is discussed. That's OK, sort of. In the end give up going round in circles with some old friends. Up to you as they say in Thailand. And we then drift apart.

Edited by SheungWan

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

Most people  die within 3 years of retirement, no matter what age they retired at. Read that somewhere.

There's a lot of argument about this, none of it based on particularly good data.

The life expectancy of the average Australia male is 82 years. I don't think there's too many Australians retiring at 79.

On 10/1/2017 at 2:38 PM, biggles45 said:

Even after 17 years I have still not sold my properties in my home country, better than money in the bank. 

Ditto, I still have ppty in two other countries besides Thailand..........I try not to stay in any of them very long, "Change is the Spice of Life"  someone once saud.

Edited by TunnelRat69

9 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

May a guess it would be long serivece leave plus accumulated annual leave? 

In oz we get approximately 8 weeks long service for every 10 years of service. Throw in a few years of untaken 4 weeks of annual leave (which accumulates) and is feasible one couldn’t take 9 months leave. Especially possible in a government service it’s a large amount of employees to fill your position. 

An example; my mother has 500+ hours of sick leave plus 300+ hours of annual leave owing to her at this time. 

When I retired I was able to sell my annual leave accrual back to the USG, was quite a nice chunk of change.

2 hours ago, keithpa said:

That does seem to be the trend. The age is positioned more for the financial commitment from the government, hence the age will continue to rise in line with age expectancy.

If you wish to go early, financial penalties are usually invoked.

2 hours ago, john1000 said:

That does seem to be the trend. The age is positioned more for the financial commitment from the government, hence the age will continue to rise in line with age expectancy.

If you wish to go early, financial penalties are usually invoked.

If I went early , I wouldnt give a rats ars  about financial penalties.

On 1.10.2017 at 11:45 AM, KittenKong said:

All emotion is ephemeral and shallow here, and usually has something to do with money anyway. Truth is another item in very short supply.

Anyone looking for love or even sincerity should not be here.

Not a nice comment, but it comes discustingly close to "how it is". Being aware of this (and taking it to heart), a Farang can live happily in Thailand. Helping him to avoid major pitfalls and dissapointments of all kinds.

The much quoted "my wife is different", does not void KittenKong's general comment above.
Cheers.