Give yourself time to know if your ready

georgegeorgia

I have wanted and will eventually retire to Pattaya

This trip i was going to make  a decision just like every year but i have decided the time is not yet, it may be next year it may be in 10 years but its not at this stage of my life

Now i met a guy last night in a bar who has taken 9 months living here in pattaya to make a decision  to move here , he decided its not for him, it has taken 9 months but he is only 54yo  and took 9 months paid long service  leave from his Police officer job in the UK and rented a condo in jomtien

but he has decided he is too young and wants a few more years of work yet in the UK, because at this s stage he started missing things in the UK and getting depression not working and not doing anything

i think really its a great great idea to actually plan to live here at least 6 months before making a decision to SELL off your house back in farangland wherever that may be.

its exciting on holidays but far far different living here

To me its not time because im still middleaged, i still have a relatively safe job, i still can make more money , and im worried i will get bored living here in pattaya .

and i dont feel love is real here

Edited by georgegeorgia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know quite a few who are tired of Central Pattaya and moving outside the city a bit.  Still nearby, but not in the chaos.  Completely different lifestyle.

But yes, you need something to do.  Especially at that early age.  Plenty to do here, but you need the motivation and money to do it.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:22 AM, stanleycoin said:

Bored living here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't buy it.

Think he lacked funds or imagination or both.

There is loads of things to do around this town and loads just a sort 

distance out of town.

But you need the dosh to do it all. :thumbsup:

I have taken some extended visits of just over two months, and have been in country 14 times. On the long visits I definitely get bored.  I am an engineer by trade and there just isn't anything to do.  Sure I like some night life, love to swim in a pool, Thai foot and body massages, find a decent lady friend.  I like taking week long visits to other areas.  Phuket, Sukhothai, Korat, with obviously many other places to explore.  Not a bad way to spend time.  There certainly are worse alternatives.  I have the cash and the cash flow now at 60, but am still holding off permanently retiring.  If my current company lets me go, than I semi-retire.  I would want to get out of the USA for medical costs anyways at that point.  One never knows how much money one may need so I don't mind banking a bit more.  I plan to take 30 days vacation every year so that isn't bad while the job is still OK.  As far as imagination, there are lots of ways to get busy.  Start a family and have some kids or absorb some kids via a marriage? 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, gk10002000 said:

As far as imagination, there are lots of ways to get busy.  Start a family and have some kids or absorb some kids via a marriage? 

Can't let that go without commenting.

If anyone thinks kids are just a way to pass the time, I hope they never have the opportunity.

Bringing up children is the most important job anyone could ever have, and there are already too many bad people having children that should, IMO, have been neutered before being able to.

IMO, only people that prove they really want them and have the skill, knowledge, ability, finance and personality required should be allowed to have children in their care.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Don't forget to try other areas - Pattaya is Pattaya and only shares the same breeze as much of the rest of the country... Come sample baan nork sometime... maybe take some time and learn to speak the language, there can be plenty to keep you from getting bored beyond the bars... plenty here to keep me fascinated -- and I retired quite early. 

On 9/26/2017 at 1:56 PM, keithpa said:

Spent some time in ,on, Phuket mate, 100 times better than Pattaya. Azzure seas, golden sands, heaven, a true tropical paradise.

Phuket is a dump. Don't know what you see in it. A tourist island and home to the unfriendliest, most affluent Thais in the country. No better than Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Phuket is a dump. Don't know what you see in it. A tourist island and home to the unfriendliest, most affluent Thais in the country. No better than Pattaya. 

So the beaches are shit, your blind. Unfriendly Thais, Going by a lot of your posts, I believe that they  would be unfriendly towards you. Affluent, I prefer a lot of them to the many  effluent farang Ive met.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Lots of Brits seem to miss the "pub" when they move elsewhere.

However, if he wasn't happy living in Pattaya after only 6 months I doubt he will ever be.

Thing is, lots of people think everywhere in Thailand is like Pattaya, and give up without trying somewhere different.

That's right, have a snide at Brits.

Enlighten me dear chappie, where does it actually say that this "Brit" missed the 'Pub'?

I've lived here 13 years, been visiting for 40 years before that. I have never missed the 'Pub'. I'm a "Brit" and very happy here.

What nationality exactly,.....are you?

On 25/09/2017 at 1:01 PM, georgegeorgia said:

and i dont feel love is real here

All emotion is ephemeral and shallow here, and usually has something to do with money anyway. Truth is another item in very short supply.

Anyone looking for love or even sincerity should not be here.

22 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I keep saying that i want to retire at 60, then i think to myself "do i really?" I like work and work has taken me to all continents, so i'm loath to cut that option out. 

I retired at 50 which was good but I wish I could have done it 30 years earlier.

On 25/09/2017 at 4:01 PM, georgegeorgia said:

but he has decided he is too young and wants a few more years of work yet in the UK, because at this s stage he started missing things in the UK and getting depression not working and not doing anything

I can certainly understand getting down a little when you’re mind set is that of a worker. 

I had a high paying, management role as a construction electrician before I stopped working @ 36.

70+ hour weeks, high pressure work and super tight deadlines kept me on my toes and I loved it. 

I also worked on my weekends off in nightclub security, a second job that I worked regularly for 15+ years, to build my savings to invest in property. 

I now haven’t worked for 3+ years and I’ve been to Thailand 21 times since 2011. I’ve spent anywhere up to a couple of months at a time in country, at one time I was returning at 3-5 weeks intervals. I admit it took me some time to change my mindset from a super stimulated, 24/7 work orientated way to what it is now. 

But now I just concentrate on my health, exercise and formulate my plan for my permanent relocation. 

Once I do relocate I’ll be enrolling in a Thai language school, working more on my fitness, travelling further around Thailand (I’ve been to 15 odd provinces so far), visit nearby countries more, enjoy the weather, visit friends I have living all over Thailand, enjoy Thai hospitality and enjoy learning more about Thai culture and Thailand than is possible in semi short trips. 

I feel it’ll be a long time, if ever, that’ll I’ll ever be bored. 

Maybe your friend is just struggling to break out of the western ‘I gotta work to feel worthy and useful’ mindset? I know I went through some tough times getting past this line of thought but once I did life has become a much more enjoyable place to be.

You only live once, make it count! And money ain’t everything 

Edited by MadMuhammad

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

All emotion is ephemeral and shallow here, and usually has something to do with money anyway. Truth is another item in very short supply.

Anyone looking for love or even sincerity should not be here.

Total Tosh..................facepalm.gif.d13cf4473612c09c070b001a0b5c0bb2.gif

32 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I keep saying that i want to retire at 60, then i think to myself "do i really?" I like work and work has taken me to all continents, so i'm loath to cut that option out. 

At one stage these were my thoughts too. I wanted for nothing, travelled O/S 3 or 4 tines a year, my fiancée never wanted for anything. I’d worked super hard to get where I was and I felt I’d never change a single thing.

But change things did, and not all by choice. But once I realised how much more life meant when I was living for myself, giving all my time and thought to what I wanted and needed things changed for the better. 

Its not the path for everyone I admit but it most definitely works for me.

Edited by MadMuhammad

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

So the beaches are shit, your blind. Unfriendly Thais, Going by a lot of your posts, I believe that they  would be unfriendly towards you. Affluent, I prefer a lot of them to the many  effluent farang Ive met.

My comment applied to Phuket only. Not beaches elsewhere in Thailand or Thais in general. I lived in Phuket for a year in 1996, in Nai Harn which was one of the nicer, less spoiled areas of the island. You are no doubt aware that Phuket is the most affluent province per capita in Thailand, hence my reference. I speak Thai reasonably well, and actually have many Thai friends and am happily accepted by Thai people. To me, Phuket was a tourist island, although there were/are some out of the way places where some expats resided - perhaps you live in such a location, away from the seething tourist crowds. Patong and Karon beaches were destroyed by tourism 20 years ago; physically, in terms of stripped vegetation, and culturally. I can't imagine they have improved since then but as I have never returned to Phuket, I cannot be certain. In any case, you have a better chance of meeting 'effluent farangs' in Phuket than just about anywhere else in Thailand. Phuket is not a place in which I would choose to live, but each to their own.

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

I retired at 60, though I did some part time work for a few years. If I had the decision over again, I would still be working 4 years later. I need to work in order to live. I didn't know that then but I do now. 3 or 4 days a week was enough to keep my mind and time occupied. Some people relish the freedom that retirement brings and others are frustrated with all the time they now have to kill. 

On 9/27/2017 at 8:13 AM, gk10002000 said:

I have taken some extended visits of just over two months, and have been in country 14 times. On the long visits I definitely get bored.  I am an engineer by trade and there just isn't anything to do.  Sure I like some night life, love to swim in a pool, Thai foot and body massages, find a decent lady friend.  I like taking week long visits to other areas.  Phuket, Sukhothai, Korat, with obviously many other places to explore.  Not a bad way to spend time.  There certainly are worse alternatives.  I have the cash and the cash flow now at 60, but am still holding off permanently retiring.  If my current company lets me go, than I semi-retire.  I would want to get out of the USA for medical costs anyways at that point.  One never knows how much money one may need so I don't mind banking a bit more.  I plan to take 30 days vacation every year so that isn't bad while the job is still OK.  As far as imagination, there are lots of ways to get busy.  Start a family and have some kids or absorb some kids via a marriage? 

There is no such thing as an ex-marine, or an ex-engineer.  Believe me I know...  So the fact is you need something fulfilling/challenging to do here in LOS.  You will never meet a more challenging situation than to marry a Thai woman as an engineer.  Generally, your skills of logic and organization will run up against "Bird poop on me, very lucky, go buy lottery ticket" and household items that never make it back to the logical place you created for them (my kids school supplies are back behind the large pots in the cupboard) or the same place twice.  After 15 yrs marriage, 10 years in the US with English classes, 1/2 the time the college educated wife still can't put an English sentence together where it makes any sense to the kids and I when she is in Thailand.  Ends up being  game of 20 questions to make sure what she said is what she meant and even then it is your fault you did not understand her.  Oh,   so,   very,  grinding...  My suggestion is to find someone who is well versed in English and has some kind of organizational job to keep your sanity. I find in my situation, about 4 large Changs a day is about right for my sanity.  Same problem with my friends back in the US with Thai wives (ex-diplomats, software company owners, other engineers).  When the wives get together for more than 2-3 hrs, it seems the IQ level drops 20 points, but we still lov'm and they eventually recover :-) 

There are a few jobs here that you might qualify for (don't pay much but you stay busy) but then you have immigration issues since you can't work while on a vacation, visiting your relatives/wife, or retirement visas.  You need a work visa.  You can't even volunteer, according to the law, without the proper volunteer visa.  Lord help you if your wife has a business and you get caught hanging drapes in her business.  That is "working" since you could have paid a Thai person to do it.  Has nothing to do about you being paid.  There is a previous TV post on this.

It's tough when you are used to being busy and productive.  I basically went into a schedule of workouts, golfing, educating myself on the internet.  Taking Thai language/reading/writing classes will keep you busy for a while.

I wish you the best of luck.  All in all, it is still better than the US!

On 9/27/2017 at 8:13 AM, gk10002000 said:

Believe me, you should try to work for as long as possible. Studies have shown it extends your life expectancy ( Boeing ), and of course your financial security should improve as well.

Starting a family at 60 is not such a good idea. Coping with one or more teenagers in your seventies is not my idea of fun.

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

i too liked my work but retired at age 46 and then regretted that i didn't do it a few years earlier even though i could have afforded it. and in these 28 years of retirement i couldn't do half what i planned to do.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I retired at 50 which was good but I wish I could have done it 30 years earlier.

I work pretty long hours, normally about 14 hours a day on site but still love it. I took nearly 1 1/2 years off about 4 years ago and at the end of it I felt that I had won lotto when I went back to work. I think the issue was that while I enjoyed doing nothing I didn't feel like I was doing anything meaningful with my time, in fact I felt like I was just letting time slip by with no reason.