Changing car name from x wife to mine.. Does it have to be in Buriram where registered or can it be done in pattaya?

Huayrat

Just to make sure:

"changing name" means transferring ownership and your ex-wife will sign the document needed for that?

There is an official government (DLT) form where previous and new owner have to sign.

What you surely need - as for every vehicle registration - is the proof of residence (in most cases a letter from immigration if no other proof like work permit exists).

I just guess that you don't need to show a driving license to own a car.

I expect other members have experience with the other details like different location.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just to make sure:

"changing name" means transferring ownership and your ex-wife will sign the document needed for that?

There is an official government (DLT) form where previous and new owner have to sign.

What you surely need - as for every vehicle registration - is the proof of residence (in most cases a letter from immigration if no other proof like work permit exists).

I just guess that you don't need to show a driving license to own a car.

I expect other members have experience with the other details like different location.

Yes....but he was asking also if it needs to be done where car is registered (Buriram) or can he do it in Pattaya.

Me thinks Buriram.

changing ownership has to be done in the place of registration, can be done by an agent.

changing ownership and place of registration at the same time can be done anywhere, but more work involved.

if the seller will not be present at the office, a power of attorney has to be signed as well as the transfer form, by the seller as well as signed copies of their id card and house book.

Given that I now reside in Nakhon Pathom province and my car was initially registered in Bangkok, and I was told to change my address I had to go to BKK, then I'd say Buriram.  Bit of a drive.  But given how different government bodies have different rules, maybe you can.  I'd suggest you go to the local office and ask, you might get lucky.:wai:

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Thing is you can get different answers in same Office.This going from Office to Province ended 6ish years ago. Only needs an articulate Thai to tell them what YOU want doing and its one stop , job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have no trouble conversing in Thai and am able to get my point across without any problem.  You said it ended  6 or so years ago, do you have anything that I can refer to? I do t want to cause any dramas but if it has been changed and there is something that I can refer to I will go back and if they tell me no again, I will be ever so polite and refer them to he new rules. :wai:

Well it all started when I bought A Car years ago wanted the book n no red plates just the white. Boss gave me all the papers,and i went to the Office got Plates Made,Blue Book, and totally shocked how easy it was.Never been anywhere inconvenient in 25 years n lots of deals.Bit vague , but its just gettin one experts advice, not well meaning waffle like ive just posted.?[emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Given that I now reside in Nakhon Pathom province and my car was initially registered in Bangkok, and I was told to change my address I had to go to BKK, then I'd say Buriram.  Bit of a drive.  But given how different government bodies have different rules, maybe you can.  I'd suggest you go to the local office and ask, you might get lucky.:wai:

You have 2 choices 

1 go change the name in Bangkok ( they might require a residence certificate  with address in BKK could be difficult to get)

2 go to your local main DLT and tell them you want to "move" the car to Nakhon Pathom province  come back at a later date and collect new number plates and then change names at the local DLT

I've got no idea what idea what Ace of Pop is waffling on about :biggrin:

2 hours ago, johng said:

You have 2 choices 

1 go change the name in Bangkok ( they might require a residence certificate  with address in BKK could be difficult to get)

2 go to your local main DLT and tell them you want to "move" the car to Nakhon Pathom province  come back at a later date and collect new number plates and then change names at the local DLT

Neither have i, but you dont  have to change the plates.An agent will give you all the info anyway, not the  "Wifes Brother said" info that too many post here as :partytime2:

3 hours ago, johng said:

You have 2 choices 

Thanks for the advice but the car is mine and the blue book is solely in my name.  It is only the address I want changed.  I don't want to change the plates just for the sake of on an address.  I will front up again and ask a few more questions, maybe speak to a different person.  You know, different branches, different rules, maybe different person, different outcome.  It's just the bloody inconvenience.

I've already been to the main branch, it was there that I was told to go to BKK.  I have all the necessary documents so I have no idea why but I will contact the original dealer in Loei to find out how they accomplished registering it in BKK, when I did not have an address there.   Thanks again. :wai:

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Neither have i, but you dont  have to change the plates.An agent will give you all the info anyway, not the  "Wifes Brother said" info that too many post here as :partytime2:

What agent?  Why would I need one?  I can speak Thai, don't need an interpreter, just need to find someone in the DLT, who knows what they are talking about.:wai:

Thanks for the advice but the car is mine and the blue book is solely in my name.  It is only the address I want changed.  I don't want to change the plates just for the sake of on an address.  I will front up again and ask a few more questions, maybe speak to a different person.

Ok, please report back here and let us all know how you get on.

3 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

What agent?  Why would I need one?  I can speak Thai, don't need an interpreter, just need to find someone in the DLT, who knows what they are talking about.:wai:

changing address on a bkk registered car needs to be done in bkk, but a local agent can get it done through a bkk agent. your address can be out of bkk,  my wife has a car and a m/c that is registered in bkk to an address outside bkk.