Any way to chromecast directly from laptop to TV without wifi

torrzent

Is this possible to cast/watch video files directly from laptop to TV without having to go through a wifi connection? For example could the laptop connect to a mobile hotspot on an android and then cast content to the TV?

Edited by torrzent

AFAIK, No. Both devices (the casting device and the chromecast) need to be on the same network.

Yes (on the second question), I guess you could create a local WiFi network (aka: Portable Wi-Fi hotspot) with the Android device, then connect both the laptop and chromecast to that network. Then use the "cast" option in Google Chrome (on the laptop) to cast a tab to the chromecast.

Can you describe, in more detail, what it is (exactly) that you are trying to do? Can you describe the functionalities of your laptop, android phone and TV?

Are you trying to play videos stored on your laptop? Or videos from the internet?

If the former, then maybe HDMI out or transfer to USB?

12 hours ago, rwill said:

if your laptop and tv have hdmi ports just hook them up with a cable and switch the tv input to that hdmi port and anything you see on the laptop will be on the tv.

Yes that is my arrangement, I also utilize a remote keyboard so that I can control it without getting off my ass. Took the laptop and cable when I stayed at a hotel too as most flat-screen TVs have HDMI inputs.

Maybe it depends on the gadget you're using.  I have some Rokus, and they're wifi only.  But are some TVs Bluetooth-enabled?  Perhaps there are gadgets that'll do Bluetooth, or you can find an app for the laptop that'll cast with Bluetooth, in addition to or instead of wifi?   'Never checked it out - 'don't know.   But the arrangement you're presently using (HDMI + remote keyboard) sounds like the simplest and most direct solution provided you don't run into HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copyright Protection) issues.

https://bigthinkingapplied.com/how-to-chromecast-on-vpn-the-simple-way/

This link shows how to cast from a lap top with the vpn enabled in order that you can watch programmes requiring vpn activation . I just brought a chrome cast from uk to use on my iPad but it gets blocked on casting  because the chrome cast device sends the signal through the wifi "unvpn',so even though the iPad device is connected to vpn the chrome cast isn't. Of course I can't use this method on the iPad (or any mobile device) because the web store isn't available to mobile devices which you will discover when you go onto it. I don't have a lap top so if anyone knows a way I can do this via a wifi only iPad (no sim)please advise,although I'm not hopeful. 

On 9/27/2017 at 5:05 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes that is my arrangement, I also utilize a remote keyboard so that I can control it without getting off my ass. Took the laptop and cable when I stayed at a hotel too as most flat-screen TVs have HDMI inputs.

I also have an HDMI to composite converter. Sometimes when the TV is fixed to the wall you cannot get the HDMI cable in but the composite is a bit more flexible.