Peace is the highest bliss - translation

mrblonde

The word "peace" as we understand it can have a multitude of meanings. Depending on circumstance/situation.
The full sentance of "Peace is the highest bliss for me" is challenging, even for astute translators.

Even the best of translations will cause Thais to ask you:
- Have you been a soldier, escaping a war zone?
Or: If you have not achieved inner piece, you have not stayed in a Buddhist Temple long enough.

Or, MOST LIKELY: "You think too much".

There are things that can not be translated 1 to 1, not as far as linguistics are concerned, nor the meaning of it.
= A Thai asks the Farang: "Pai Nai" (where you go?) The Farang immediately feels obligated to disclose his plan of the day in detail, while the "Pai Nai" was nothing more than a "Hello, how are you". So much more to it than just "language".
No wonder that so much is "lost in translation" between English and Thai.

No malice intended, but the "you think too much" is something you will likely hear quite often. Those simple words, spoken by the right person, can mean Peace and Bliss. And more.
Peace & Cheers.

It's always a problem to take spoken English, which is by definition innacurate, and put it in spoken Thai.  I think that I know what you mean so I would reduce it to simple English and put that in Google. 

"Peace is a form of bliss most desired." Google translates that as: ความสงบสุขคือรูปแบบของความสุขที่ต้องการมากที่สุด 

A native speaker could probably put that into spoken Thai for you. 

edit: I notice that I have missed 'for me'. You could say, ผมคิดว่า first I suppose. 

Depending upon how you are trying to use this phrase, for what purpose, the translation might change...

you could go to the national anthem - kon Thai luk Sngoopb - - Thai people love peace.. if you are just trying to say that you like a peaceful life, - - chorbp sngoopb - - would work...

sorry for poor transliteration.. 

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

Depending upon how you are trying to use this phrase, for what purpose, the translation might change...

you could go to the national anthem - kon Thai luk Sngoopb - - Thai people love peace.. if you are just trying to say that you like a peaceful life, - - chorbp sngoopb - - would work...

sorry for poor transliteration.. 

Sorry i should of said, its for a tattoo

How tricky this translation business can be. Here is a story:

- 5 years ago, a Farang neighbor (his marriage "on the rocks"), asked me to function as a "mediator", as my Thai was better than his. But soon I realized that my Thai is not advanced enough to bring the true meaning accross. So we set-up a letter to his wife. Explaining things, offering viable avenues to save the marriage. A masterpiece I say and not in a shy way.
He wanted that nothing get's "lost in translation", so he turened it over to a translation agency in BKK, recommended by the UK embassy.

All in vain, 6 months later they were divorced. I kept an English and a Thai copy and forgot about it.

- Until recently. I met a Thai Lady really speaking excellent English. I coulden't resist. I showed her the English/Thai copies.
Her verdict: A horribly bad translation. None of the "meaning" of the sentences were properly conveyed to the Thai language. Things left out, some things (freely) added and distorted.
I asked, how come? Reply: When those reputable translation offices are real busy, they "outsource" some texts to some "freelancers".

The moral of the story? Like getting a "second opinion" by another doctor, when it comes to truly important translations, does one have to get a "second opinion" from another translator???:sad:
Cheers.

On 29 September 2017 at 11:50 AM, mrblonde said:

Hope this attaches guys  :)     How does that read?   (I'm in no way assuming its right, just because its on a Thai sign!)   

Thanks for your help so far both of you

1140133024_hx8o7-670x670.jpg

. Since it is an 'official' translation and equally ungrammatical I don't think that you can go wrong with this as a tattoo.

If you like it then use it. 

Archived