PM Prayut prepared for visit to US

webfact

PM prepared for visit to US

PNPOL600927001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 28 September 2017 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has begun preparing for his official visit to the United States to discuss security and economic issues as well as regional matters. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has revealed he will depart for the US on September 30. He assured all matters of discussion have been extensively prepared and he intends to speak with US President Donald Trump about security, the economy, trade, investment and views on foreign policy with an aim to strengthen ties. He also remarked that the visit should not be an indication of any bias by the government as Thailand does not take sides on any issues currently being dealt with by the US. 

The PM is to complete his visit, which is on official invitation from President Trump, on October 5. 

The website of the US Embassy in Thailand has posted that President Trump will receive Gen Prayuth on October 3 with the hope that the two will be able to further strengthen their nations’ ties and called Thailand an important partner and ally in Asia. The president intends to discuss expanding multilateral cooperation and elevating the United States’ work in the Indochina region.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-09-28

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He also remarked that the visit should not be an indication of any bias by the government as Thailand does not take sides on any issues currently being dealt with by the US. 

Wouldn't this pretty much take North Korea and their businesses in Thailand off the table?  Thailand enjoys a tremendous trade imbalance with the USA; I am sure some tit for tat is going to be mentioned in this meeting. Thailand can get in bed with China or America, both won't work.

I can just imagine Trump taking the PM to one side and saying "Colombo Style" Mr Playlute now let me get this straight you have given yourself a complete amnesty past present and future?

Correct President Tlump, and no one from the next government can hold anything against you, at any time! mmh

And about this article 44 you can do anything you like without advice or consent from anybody!

Correct again Mr Tlump. And have you told the Thai people about this Oh yes Mr Tlump i have told them i can do anything i like and none have voiced any objection!

This is very interesting Mr Playlute very interesting indeed!

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The website of the US Embassy in Thailand has posted that President Trump will receive Gen Prayuth on October 3 with the hope that the two will be able to further strengthen their nations’ ties and called Thailand an important partner and ally in Asia. The president intends to discuss expanding multilateral cooperation and elevating the United States’ work in the Indochina region.

I wonder if the PM is packing his shorts as September 3 is Tuesday, the day the POTUS is supposed to travel to Porto Rico.  Maybe he's going to have a Caribbean vacation!

17 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Thailand can get in bed with China or America, both won't work.

Oh please!  Since when has a Thai leader applied logic to anything ?  They think they can bend economic rules and say whatever comes to mind without.  They will try to play one against the other, and The Chinese and the Americans see right through this.   In the scheme of things, Thailand has little value to the US. 

I am very surprised that The Whitehouse has invited the head of the military who toppled an elected government when they have always stated that they do not in any circumstances recognise a military take over as legitimate government. How can the General call himself PM. A PM has to be democratically elected, not give himself the title. Another Idi Amin springs to mind. Funnily enough, Trump has refused to even speak to the regime in Venezuela, wonder why that is as they both appear to be same. Go figure !

Thailand's has different attitudes toward China and the US:

China is like a big brother.  China suggests mega projects.  Thailand always agrees.  China offers to fund them.  Thailand loves that, thinking it means it will cost less for Thailand (someone else is paying the money, whoopee!).   When Thailand inevitably defaults, China will take collateral possessions and/or properties as it did with the mega port deal in Sri Lanka.

The US is like the Cheery guy who strolls into the neighborhood and hands out $10 bills.  The US also wanted to set up a NASA subsiderary (purportedly for studying weather), but Thailand (after forgetting about the offer for a year) turned it down.  Reason: pressure from China.  Even if the NASA center was involved with spying on China, it still would have been good for young Thais to get exposed to real science.  As it is, Thais are so immersed in superstition, they don't leave much room in their brains for real science.   

12 minutes ago, generealty said:

I am very surprised that The Whitehouse has invited the head of the military who toppled an elected government when they have always stated that they do not in any circumstances recognise a military take over as legitimate government. How can the General call himself PM. A PM has to be democratically elected, not give himself the title. Another Idi Amin springs to mind. Funnily enough, Trump has refused to even speak to the regime in Venezuela, wonder why that is as they both appear to be same. Go figure !

You're assuming the current US administration has a modicum of decency.  It's a big assumption.