Panthongtae’s lawyer petitions DSI over money-launcher charges

webfact

Panthongtae’s lawyer petitions DSI over money-launcher charges

By Chalarntorn Yothasmutra

Oak-lawyer-meet-DSI_27sep17.jpg

A lawyer for Panthongtae “Oak” Shinawatra, the only son of former prime minister Thaksin, on Thursday (Sept 28) filed a petition with the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) for charging his client with money-laundering.

The charges were in connection with the Krungthai Bank loans made to subsidiaries of the Krisdamahanakorn (KMN) real-estate company during the Thaksin government in 2003-2004.

In 2015, the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions found 24 people guilty of wrongfully approving the loans despite the fact that KMN was listed with the bank as a non-performing debtor.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/oak-lawyer-meets-dsi/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-28

"He said Mr Panthongtae did not know whether the money was from a wrongdoing and did not have any intention of concealing the money. Therefore, there is no reason for Mr Panthongtae to be charged with money-laundering, said the lawyer."

He received a cheque for 10Million Baht but didn't know why he had been given 10M Baht?

Really?

Edited by scorecard

17 minutes ago, halloween said:

I'm wondering why a man who can't service his loans, and is applying to borrow another B9.9 billion, is writing B10 million cheques to Oak. i.e. assuming the timing is as stated in the OP.

It will all be explained as a big unfortunate and totally innocent misunderstanding.

Seems the son is plagued with the curse of misunderstanding just like daddy.

The attorney must be right, these are no common people like us, they're 'elite' you know, true, otherwise how could Oaf not have noticed the 10 million appearing on (one of) his account(s), or otherwise not have asked a few questions about the origin of this money, even when admittedly such an amount is quite small for him... The only alternative for the attorney being pleading the mental impairment of his client... 

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Why the hell does little p not ask all those with a S connection to leave and save the sate billions in court cases and pre determined BIB investigations. Persecution is that of an silly old man with so much wool upstairs and no trousers.

Wake up please...!

Panthongtae’s lawyer again asks why Meechai not charged with money laundering

By The Nation

a0b39b01b224b41dae5afca356e88e89.jpg

Panthongtae’s lawyer cites Meechai’s name in defence against money-laundering charge.

BANGKOK: -- The lawyer for Panthongtae Shinawatra, son of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, on Thursday renewed his call for the Department of Special Investigation to drop a money-laundering probe against his client by citing the name of Meechai Ruchuphan.

Lawyer Choomsai Sriyaphai, said that if the DSI continued the anti-money laundering probe against Panthongtae related to fraudulent loans from the state-owned Krungthai Bank, the DSI should also take action against Meechai, now chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission.

In his appeal against the probe, Choomsai said that Meechai was chairman of Krisada Mahanakorn Group, including some of the time that it received Bt9.9 billon in fraudulent loans for the 20 years between 1992 and 2012. In contrast, he said, Panthongtae was just an “outsider”.

The lawyer asked how, if Meechai had learned nothing about the fraudulent loans, outsider Panthongtae could know that the money was illegal. The charge that Panthongtae attempted to help the management of Krisada Mahanakorn launder the illegally obtained money was invalid, said Choomsai.

In the middle of September, the Anti-Money Laundering Office submitted a complaint with the DSI, accusing Panthongtae of getting involved in laundering of the fraudulent loans granted from Krungthai Bank to Golden Technology Industrial Park Co, a subsidiary of Krisada Mahanakorn Group.

Based on a Supreme Court verdict, Krungthai Bank was found to have granted the Bt9.9-billion fraudulent loans to Golden Technology based on highly inflated collateral, resulting in financial damage to the bank. Some of the fraudulent loans, totalling more than Bt3.5 billion, were then extended to various people and organisations, including an unspecified donation to the Rutthaburut Foundation.

The AMLO said Panthongtae faced the charge because he allegedly received a Bt10-million cheque from Wichai Krisadathanont of the real estate firm Krisada Mahanakorn Group.

Chumsai noted that Meechai has never faced any charges although he was the chairman of the Krisada Mahanakhon board for 20 years.

He also noted that Panthongtae got the Bt10-million cheque in May 2004 before Krisada Mahanakhon’s loans were approved.

Chumsai said Panthongtae had no intention to conceal the money and the lawyer reiterated that over 150 others had received the money from the group in a manner similar to Thaksin’s son but none faced charges.

Chumsai added that Wichai was known to be a wealthy land developer, so Panthongtae had no reason to suspect that the money from him had been unlawfully gotten, and he thought Wichai really wanted to invest in Panthongtae’s business at that time.

The lawyer added that his client had returned the money to Wichai after he found the money did not meet the investment criteria.

Chumsai noted that the Bt10 million was only 0.1 per cent of the Bt9.9 billion in loans. Had Panthongtae intended to help the group launder the money, the money would have to be transferred to him 1,000 times, the lawyer noted.

“All of these pointed out that it was not justified to raise money-laundering charge against my client so I request the DSI to consider this point for the sake of fairness,” the lawyer said.

Pol Major Woranan Srilam, director of the special cases division, who received the appeal from Chumsai, said the appeal was similar to earlier requests from Panthongtae’s side with no new points.

He said he would in any case submit the appeal to DSI chief Pol Colonel Paisit Wongmuang to pass on to the investigators of the case for consideration, along with evidence and other information.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30327930

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-29

10 minutes ago, eggers said:

The whole family are bunch of fugitive criminals & dodgy dealers from traits & practices passed down by "the Puppeteer in Dubai" to family members..

where did you get that?

1 hour ago, nausea said:

This isn't about whether "Oak" is guilty or not, it's about selective justice; you shouldn't be using the judicial system as a political weapon, targeting those you don't like and ignoring those you do.

And why not? That is exactly what the "Other " party has been doing for many years. Political persecuting anyone one who they viewed as apposing them, or exposing their massive corruption.

Remember the DSI witch hunts under a former government? Maybe just giving them a taste of their own medicine, as far as I can see.

Anyway he has the right to fight the charges in court, same place as anyone else that winds up in his position.

Seems like he has found himself a competent lawyer, which is a very difficult task in this country, so he has a head start over most defendants.

6 hours ago, nausea said:

This isn't about whether "Oak" is guilty or not, it's about selective justice; you shouldn't be using the judicial system as a political weapon, targeting those you don't like and ignoring those you do.

That's true. But it isn't a valid defense for Oak's lawyer to simply say others should be investigated. He should put forward a defense for his client, and a better one than "well others should be investigated too". 

Oak has so far failed to explain why someone gave him ThB 10 million in the first place. But he did offer to give it back - that sounds familiar too!

the shins think they can do what ever they like and never have to face consequences, thaksin ran away, yl ran away and now this little cretin is trying to get out of it as well. The whole family is corrupt, all their money is from corrupt practices and the try to lie and use innuendo to cover their <deleted>, next their lawyer will be delivering cake boxes again, its all they are capable of

4 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

And why not? That is exactly what the "Other " party has been doing for many years. Political persecuting anyone one who they viewed as apposing them, or exposing their massive corruption.

Remember the DSI witch hunts under a former government? Maybe just giving them a taste of their own medicine, as far as I can see.

Anyway he has the right to fight the charges in court, same place as anyone else that winds up in his position.

Seems like he has found himself a competent lawyer, which is a very difficult task in this country, so he has a head start over most defendants.

"...Remember the DSI witch hunts under a former government? Maybe just giving them a taste of their own medicine, as far as I can see...."

Plus, remember the DSI leader who suddenly became the very obvious lacky of the paymaster and his gang of thieves?

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Meechai was chairman of Krisada Mahanakorn Group, including some of the time that it received Bt9.9 billon in fraudulent loans for the 20 years between 1992 and 2012.

When I read this I laughed so much that I nearly pissed in my pants!

:cheesy:

The drafter of the anti-corruoption constitution did not know the company he was chairing was corrupt!

Edited by candide

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Check out how many convictions and outstanding warrants that family has.

understand. It seems we differ on how we view things like the law but you seem to have a much greater understanding of it than I and of collective responsibility.

Thanks.

This is an absurd argument.  I am innocent because the former executive chairman of the defrauded company has not been investigated or charged with fraud.  It is as ludicrous as his earlier arguments he is innocent that another 250 people also helped launder the fraudulently obtained funds. Personally I think they should all be tried for fraud but the fate of the others has no bearing on whether he is guilty or innocent.   

Never mind.  Daddy can build another wing onto the mansion in Dubai. 

11 hours ago, eggers said:

The whole family are bunch of fugitive criminals & dodgy dealers from traits & practices passed down by "the Puppeteer in Dubai" to family members..

Nice. Is this the next trick you're foreshadowing here? Soon they'll make it illegal for anyone to possess Shin DNA, automatic jail term...

On 28/09/2017 at 2:23 PM, scorecard said:

"He said Mr Panthongtae did not know whether the money was from a wrongdoing and did not have any intention of concealing the money. Therefore, there is no reason for Mr Panthongtae to be charged with money-laundering, said the lawyer."

He received a cheque for 10Million Baht but didn't know why he had been given 10M Baht?

Really?

How could he have any suspicion of wrongdoing about a company chaired by Meechai Ruchuphan?

Edited by candide

13 hours ago, eggers said:

The whole family down to the seventh generation , their brothers, sisters, cousins and inlaws. So much of this genetic condemnation on TV. I ask you - is it not possible that a Shinawatra baby or toddler now may one day do some good in the world or do they have an irredeemable stamp of evil in their very DNA - the mark of Thaksin.

On 29/09/2017 at 9:06 AM, candide said:

When I read this I laughed so much that I nearly pissed in my pants!

The drafter of the anti-corruoption constitution did not know the company he was chairing was corrupt!

There is an article in the BP about KTB with quite interesting information involving Prem. My guess is that Thaksin's clan has decided to disclose some of the information they have in order to negotiate a more favourable outcome (or just retaliate).

In case the information published in the BP is reliable, I'm going to buy myself a pack of Pampers!

Edited by candide