Phuket lifeguards rescue, revive ‘thankless tourist’ from drowning

rooster59

Phuket lifeguards rescue, revive ‘thankless tourist’ from drowning 

Shela Riva

1506760100_1-org.jpg

Phuket lifeguards recovered the unconscious tourist from the water and revived him on the beach. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: Phuket lifeguards on the last day before they exit the beaches – to be replaced by a motley crew of Navy personnel, Civil Defense volunteers and a handful of actual lifeguards hired for the coming month – today (Sept 30) rescued another tourist caught in a dangerous rip tide at Surin Beach.

“He was a Chinese tourist visiting Surin Beach with his family,” said Ms Vitanya.

“He ignored red flag warnings and went swimming in the water by himself,” she added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-rescue-revive-thankless-tourist-from-drowning-64116.php#cFMAJvUWLTwZwIPc.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-30

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Should have just thrown him back :whistling:

Like many first responders lifeguards have a dangerous and often thankless task.

To them, from me, thank-you for being there and avoiding another tourist statistic.

Mr Crossy should have thrown him back... Tut Tut.. if i had have said that my post would have been removed

any way i do agree with you can,t cure stupidity.

13 hours ago, oldgent said:

Mr Crossy should have thrown him back... Tut Tut.. if i had have said that my post would have been removed

any way i do agree with you can,t cure stupidity.

Seemingly nature tried pretty hard to cure this man of his stupidity.... then the life guards interfered!

With the changing of the guard, any future foolishness may enhance the gene pool.

This does happen a lot in Oz... all volunteers lifeguards, sometimes with the rips they have to swim  way out, they have a line attached and most people on the beach gather to help pull them both in. When they get the person back to safety and they are checked out --if aright--then they are politely asked if they would like to make a donation to the lifeguards.  Average donation $3.20, but the person invariably says they are short on money but will be sending a cheque, just as invariably it doesn't arrive.

When you are way out there & you just do not have the energy to make it back against the rip, when you raise your arm-how much would you give at that point to see that young guy or girl running down the beach with a line attached to them.

Obviously that view changes once they have risked their life bringing you back in.

Edited by oxo1947

It’s a common reaction to ‘saving face’ in their culture. That and the fact that he’s an <deleted> will account for his behaviour. He’ll minimise it and never understand how close to death he was. Great work from the lifeguard. I hope he didn’t have to give mouth to mouth..

Typical Chinese behaviour, Give them a queue at any normal line up and straight to the front they go. When questioned "no speak English and big smile". Should have kicked sand on his face when there was no Thanks for saving my life and given a fine for tea money!

Chinese tourists: I don't care for them one bit.  They are an utter nuisance. They are loud. They expectorate in  public pools.  My wife and I know the peak times where they congregate at our 7-Eleven marveling at Thai beauty products, snacks, and sim cards.  We avoid them if we can, but sometimes it can't be helped.  

This twonk was swimming in dangerous waters and did not heed red flags. Imbecile. 

On 30/09/2017 at 9:36 PM, Crossy said:

Should have just thrown him back :whistling:

Like many first responders lifeguards have a dangerous and often thankless task.

To them, from me, thank-you for being there and avoiding another tourist statistic.

I saw the headline and thought to myself, this person has to be Chinese!!! Any there he is.