Random Urine-testing Returns To Asoke

Thai Ron

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

You can't see very well, then, can you?

I'm assuming you haven't lived here very long. Even so, wherever you were in the world in 2014 I'd be surprised if you missed this scandal, since it was plastered across the media worldwide. 

6 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm assuming you haven't lived here very long. Even so, wherever you were in the world in 2014 I'd be surprised if you missed this scandal, since it was plastered across the media worldwide. 

Then you assume wrongly - big surprise............not.

I've lived here 10 years

All of them in the area your link pertains to so yes I remember it well, hence the title of my thread - random urine testing returns to Asoke - so I didn't need to read it.

Where does it mention that people were somehow being "fitted up" to show positive results?

Perhaps you believe that farangs should be exempt from piss-testing even though they routinely do it to Thais?

15 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I've lived here 10 years

All of them in the area your link pertains to so yes I remember it well, hence the title of my thread - random urine testing returns to Asoke - so I didn't need to read it.

Where does it mention that people were somehow being "fitted up" to show positive results?

Perhaps you believe that farangs should be exempt from piss-testing even though they routinely do it to Thais?

Perhaps you misread my original post, which consists of two separate reasons to be concerned: false positives, and being fitted up. Maybe I should have organised them into a list.

The question of being fitted up is right there in both the headline ("police drug testing scam" ) and the content of the opening article in the link I attached:

"Critics of the police say that these activities are not intended to reduce crime, but are a means to elicit bribe money from unsuspecting and often terrified tourists. Since the harassment is primarily a means of extortion, even those who are not in possession of drugs and have not tested positive for illegal drug use are in danger. Incriminating evidence can be planted and urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example."

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Perhaps you misread my original post, which consists of two separate reasons to be concerned: false positives, and being fitted up. Maybe I should have organised them into a list.

The question of being fitted up is right there in both the headline ("police drug testing scam" ) and the content of the opening article in the link I attached:

"Critics of the police say that these activities are not intended to reduce crime, but are a means to elicit bribe money from unsuspecting and often terrified tourists. Since the harassment is primarily a means of extortion, even those who are not in possession of drugs and have not tested positive for illegal drug use are in danger. Incriminating evidence can be planted and urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example."

So conjecture and conspiracy theories represent facts in your world, do they?

The Samui Times' original story didn't refer to it as a scam; it was  "Webfact" who used that emotive term in order to evoke a response from the ever-paranoid Thaivisa forum membership many of whom behave as though they're persecuted in Thailand.

Anyway, please point me to the case in the period the thread deals with in which a farang was, indeed "fitted up".

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It's hard to believe that anyone could choose to deny this - the news was worldwide and brought major embarrassment to Thailand three years ago. This Time article gives plenty of examples.

http://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

So the bloke claiming to be fitted just happened to be a journalist?

God, you're naive

How many members have actually been asked to piss in a pot on the roadside of Suk this year then?

I was stopped once by the police and production of a Thai drivers license brought smiles all round and a wai from both sides. Took all of 2 mins.

21 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Surprised you understood what he wrote.

I gave up after two tries.

The guy can't even string a sentence together in English.

Cheap teachers always are picky about other people English, I understand you, that's all you have in this life.

20 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I've lived here 10 years

Yes farang should be exempted to spend 5000 thb when when are positive. Because when people are educated and civilized it is perfectly ok to do drugs.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:35 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

How many members have actually been asked to piss in a pot on the roadside of Suk this year then?

I was stopped once by the police and production of a Thai drivers license brought smiles all round and a wai from both sides. Took all of 2 mins.

How do you figure it would have gone had you not had that Thai DL?   Or if it was a different cop, or a different area?

I'd venture a guess that most of the foreigners who get tested have never even heard of TVF so we never hear from them.  I live and worked in the Asoke area and I've seen quite a few of the random stops.  Never been caught up in one, but I'm in bed before the area gets exciting and I'm ugly enough that I'm sure the cops recognize me from seeing me every day for years and years.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

How do you figure it would have gone had you not had that Thai DL?   Or if it was a different cop, or a different area?

I'd venture a guess that most of the foreigners who get tested have never even heard of TVF so we never hear from them.  I live and worked in the Asoke area and I've seen quite a few of the random stops.  Never been caught up in one, but I'm in bed before the area gets exciting and I'm ugly enough that I'm sure the cops recognize me from seeing me every day for years and years.

The time I was stopped was 2pm just before the garage by Soi 23.

I've not seen any of these checkpoint urine test stops for a while in that area which is why I asked.

Not sure if they were doing any urine tests at Asoke intersection but last night just before 9pm I saw two taxis with foreigners who were stopped before turning left onto Sukhumvit and the foreigners were out of the taxi talking to the cops.

On 09/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, bbi1 said:

Not sure if they were doing any urine tests at Asoke intersection but last night just before 9pm I saw two taxis with foreigners who were stopped before turning left onto Sukhumvit and the foreigners were out of the taxi talking to the cops.

Stops right here are so frequent that I've taken to telling taxi drivers not to go that way. I've been searched here at least 5 times in the last few years. They're always targeting the foreigners. In many cases, I had a female Thai friend with me in the taxi and she wasn't searched or even questioned. Never been urine tested here (yet). 

1 hour ago, revelstone said:

Stops right here are so frequent that I've taken to telling taxi drivers not to go that way. I've been searched here at least 5 times in the last few years. They're always targeting the foreigners. In many cases, I had a female Thai friend with me in the taxi and she wasn't searched or even questioned. Never been urine tested here (yet). 

What did they do when they stopped the taxi at Asoke Intersection? Lots of taxis and also foreigners crossing that intersection get hassled. that's why I always use the overpass when walking late at night.

27 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What did they do when they stopped the taxi at Asoke Intersection? Lots of taxis and also foreigners crossing that intersection get hassled. that's why I always use the overpass when walking late at night.

Just go through pockets looking at everything. Ask what I do in Thailand and where I come from. They've never asked for a passport and are usually very polite. They're clearly looking for drugs, because on more than one occasion they have taken a crumpled up ATM or credit card slip and unfolded it to see if there's anything inside.

5 hours ago, revelstone said:

Just go through pockets looking at everything. Ask what I do in Thailand and where I come from. They've never asked for a passport and are usually very polite. They're clearly looking for drugs, because on more than one occasion they have taken a crumpled up ATM or credit card slip and unfolded it to see if there's anything inside.

Yes, they are looking for drugs.

It's right at Asok Intersection, next to the Police Booth, coming from Asok Montri on the left lane, just before you turn left direction Nana.

Seen them stopping taxi bikes as well with white guys on them. That's what they target, farangs.

They had another one further up the road closer to Rama 4 also on Asok Montri ,next to Queen Sirikit, kept it for a month. Been through that experience a couple of consecutive times as I was coming from Silom to Asok, until I decided to start rerouting the taxis. I realised I'd get stopped no matter what. That one's gone now. This one right at Asok though has been there for a while.

7 hours ago, lkv said:

It's right at Asok Intersection, next to the Police Booth, coming from Asok Montri on the left lane, just before you turn left direction Nana.

Seen them stopping taxi bikes as well with white guys on them. That's what they target, farangs.

They had another one further up the road closer to Rama 4 also on Asok Montri ,next to Queen Sirikit, kept it for a month. Been through that experience a couple of consecutive times as I was coming from Silom to Asok, until I decided to start rerouting the taxis. I realised I'd get stopped no matter what. That one's gone now. This one right at Asok though has been there for a while.

Yep. I explicitly ask taxis coming from Silom to use either Wireless Road or Langsuan. Then go straight on to Petchaburi road and come back along soi 3. Then you can either jump off to go to Nana or take a left and go to Cowboy. This route there's no check...Not that I've got any reason to fear being stopped; I just don't particularly care for being violated with a body search. 

8 hours ago, lkv said:

So it seems they don't hassle the Asian dudes, just white dudes, right? I don't think I've seen an Asian dude stopped at Asoke intersection either in a taxi or crossing the road walking.

So it seems they don't hassle the Asian dudes, just white dudes, right? I don't think I've seen an Asian dude stopped at Asoke intersection either in a taxi or crossing the road walking.

Not at all. There have been numerous reports of Japanese, Koreans and Indians being stopped too. In fact one of the worst examples a few years ago concerned an Indian family.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 months later...

There is alot more too it though. What about the guy that smokes (legally) in US, Canada, Europe etc and then 2 weeks later flies into Bangkok and has to take a random piss test? Metabolites can stay in your system for over a month.
Exactly! Ridiculous assuming latent residue in the body means immediate under the influence or consumption. But logic by the government or police is often absent in this county. Sad.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/6/2017 at 3:48 PM, Thai Ron said:

How are they gonna check you for drug use if they don't piss test you?

Would you prefer a blood test?

Still, if they did stop my mother and ask her to take a piss test, I doubt she'd throw as much of a hissyfit as you would.

If you've not taken any drugs, what would you have to bitch about?

In civilized world they use saliva. But reading your ridiculous reply I guess that you do not come form this world...

Archived