Eva Air any good?

toast1

Some very cheap direct flights from Europe to Bangkok on EVA Air

It's very tempting but the low price makes me a little worried

Have people had a good experiences with this airline?

Will not fly BA, looking for an airline that's reasonably comfortable in dreaded Coach. 

I've been flying EVA back and forth to USA for at least 15 years. Typically great service, good planes, great arrival times. Only once had little issue regarding carry on guitar last year, but this year they got the word and loaded me right after wheel chairs. One time a gold ring slipped off my finger in plane, noticed it at baggage claim. They hustled up there, found it and returned it to me in no time. Two snaps up and a circle

• Like 1

Used them a lot before 2013, they were good, always took premium economy, got bounced to business and used points for business and got flat bed, great trip. they used to have great prices on good for one year round trip, then they finessed them to 3 month max. Their US hub is in Seattle based out of Taiwan.

4 hours ago, toast1 said:

Will not fly BA, looking for an airline that's reasonably comfortable in dreaded Coach. 

Being the state airline of Taiwan Eva is fine. but personally I find nothing wrong with BA. Some may say that the majority of the female BA flight attendants are not exactly the most attractive in the world but that does not bother me in the least. As an aside,  a while ago my son was booked to travel with Eva from Taiwan where he lives, to UK via Bangkok. As a matter of interest I went through the booking process to join the same flight in Bangkok. My son paid the equivalent of THB 32,000 return but for me to join the same flight in Bangkok I was quoted almost THB 50,000 i.e. 50% more !!!! Ignoring the time element it would be cheaper for me to fly to Taipei from Bangkok (THB 10,500 return) and fly from there. Crazy or what.

• Like 1

I recently read that EVA was about #5. My first 2 trips years ago with EVA (extra stop on one, faulty plane -6 hour wait for take off on other)) had problems so flew Cathay many years. My last PE Cathay trip saw many things that didn't work ( touch screen, tray table etc). Changed to EVA (from US). Better planes but worse food and about $600 cheaper for PE (Elite). I like them.They treat me well.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Eva Air  BKK-LAX-BKK (via Taipei).  Good service.  Premium Economy seats a tad more expensive but good on the trans-Pacific long hauls.

I wouldn't hesitate to book again!  ....even to Europe or UK.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, glasswort said:

Being the state airline of Taiwan Eva is fine. but personally I find nothing wrong with BA. Some may say that the majority of the female BA flight attendants are not exactly the most attractive in the world but that does not bother me in the least. As an aside,  a while ago my son was booked to travel with Eva from Taiwan where he lives, to UK via Bangkok. As a matter of interest I went through the booking process to join the same flight in Bangkok. My son paid the equivalent of THB 32,000 return but for me to join the same flight in Bangkok I was quoted almost THB 50,000 i.e. 50% more !!!! Ignoring the time element it would be cheaper for me to fly to Taipei from Bangkok (THB 10,500 return) and fly from there. Crazy or what.

EVA are great, but although they are Taiwanese, they're privately owned, not a State airline.

Yep......always use Eva air . Never had any problems. Also I like their departure time to London.....usually around 1or 2 pm. Get up eat breakfast get ready and go. No hanging around all day for night flight. Also....arrives in UK around 7 pm so it's off the plane then to home or hotel and bed. No jetlag.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

EVA air is nothing special, on par with KLM and China Airlines (they all do the same route BKK-AMS).

So you can pick EVA when they have a sell, no reason to worry.

EVA is my preferred economy seat airline in and out of Thailand to the U.S.

I've flown China Eastern, China Southern and EVA in recent years. And EVA is by far and away a better experience, both in the airplane, with the cabin crew and also on the Taipei layover stops between Thailand and the U.S.

However, I've never taken EVA to/from Europe.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have flown on all three.

Eva , Thai, and BA. Eva is my favoured airline. The crazy thing is (from my experience) they are more expensive then the others if you book early but when the time nears (2 months their prices seem to drop) and they become the cheapest .

I believe Thai airlines have started using new planes  A380-800 (more expensive)but not on the TG flights, Boeing 777-300 (i think these are night flights from UK and return from Bangkok at 2pm )

Edited by Dene16
addition

17 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

They have “Elite Class” which is a business class sized seat with the same food and such economy... go to their website and book it usually is reasonably priced compared to business

Dunno about to Europe, but I'm flying with them to the U.S. soon, and just checked their elite fares (premium economy). The elite fares seem to be just about double what the regular economy fares are. Business, of course, is even higher.

• Like 1

Always thought EVA was fine. Far and away better than any US airline. Flying unfamiliar airlines I usually check the JACDEC safety rankings - I fly a fair amount and like the odds in my favor. For 2017 EVA was ranked #6, Thai airways #48.  Best ranking #1 was Cathay Pacific. BA comes in at #19. 

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2017/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno about to Europe, but I'm flying with them to the U.S. soon, and just checked their elite fares (premium economy). The elite fares seem to be just about double what the regular economy fares are. Business, of course, is even higher.

Better comparison for price is their elite to say an economy plus fare... and realize Eva Elite gives you a business class seat not just a few extra inches of economy legroom - we’ll worth the price :-)... I regularly fly the BKK to ORD flight... and the ~4 hour layover in Taoyuan is perfect to go to their a lounge and take a shower between flights... their planes are spotless... 

Edited by sfokevin

I concur with many of the positive comments above. I've flown Eva Air (though always on business class) for more than 12 years now between Bangkok and San Francisco. Always had great service and never had a problem. When I first started using them, they had one of the lowest prices in business class (about $2300 return) but more recently after they upgraded their fleet and received their 5 star rating, their prices went up (now $3400 return on my last trip) but still lower than Cathay Pacific and others. Highly recommend. Also book online.

5 hours ago, toast1 said:

For me years ago EVA were the best,but, when the old owner sold up it became like the rest non-stop flights,but still good, and I always went back to England around about June,that's when they had deals on offer,book early though, and their upgrade to a bit more legroom has become far too expensive,even if available,I gave BA a try for the first time a few years ago,even with all the warnings given by friends, I needed a non-stop flight fairly quickly and they were the only ones with a good sensible price,after booking I decided to upgraded my  seat for a bit more leg and arm room for the return journey, great choice, and worth it, I thought they were fantastic,heard many complaints about them though,also there's a bit of staff problems at this time,the reason I would never book Air France,you never know when they will decide to go on strike.