Eva Air any good?

toast1

We flew EVA for the first time this past November from the US to BKK and will return in April. We liked the flight very much and it was nice to leave late at night and arrive in BKK in the middle of the day as opposed to our normal arrival times of around midnight.

I also do like their upgraded economy section.

One problem I have is that I find it difficult to reserve round trip tickets since we depart a bit inland from the coast. EVA is happy to make us a round trip reservation from Seattle, for instance, but then it is up to us to get back and forth, to and from Seattle.

I want to check in our baggage in Spokane, WA and not see it again until we hit BKK, and expect the same in the return flight.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

We flew EVA for the first time this past November from the US to BKK and will return in April. We liked the flight very much and it was nice to leave late at night and arrive in BKK in the middle of the day as opposed to our normal arrival times of around midnight.

I also do like their upgraded economy section.

One problem I have is that I find it difficult to reserve round trip tickets since we depart a bit inland from the coast. EVA is happy to make us a round trip reservation from Seattle, for instance, but then it is up to us to get back and forth, to and from Seattle.

I want to check in our baggage in Spokane, WA and not see it again until we hit BKK, and expect the same in the return flight.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Eva should interline with fellow Star Alliance member, United. But I see that would mean picking up the SFO Eva flight.

• 4 weeks later...

Great experience with EVA in their premium economy last year from North America to BKK and return.  They have now changed planes and the new economy seats are only 17" wide in a 3/4/3 configuration so it's pretty tight in economy now!  Otherwise they are a great airline.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CanuckT said:

They have now changed planes and the new economy seats are only 17" wide in a 3/4/3 configuration so it's pretty tight in economy now!

Not sure what you mean about that.

I've been flying EVA for years between the U.S. and BKK, and their 777's in economy have always had 3-4-3 seating configuration in economy.  So I'm not sure what you think has changed?

• 5 months later...

On 3/15/2018 at 10:16 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure what you mean about that.

I've been flying EVA for years between the U.S. and BKK, and their 777's in economy have always had 3-4-3 seating configuration in economy.  So I'm not sure what you think has changed?

Ams BKK it's 3/3/3

If you look at EVA's website and their airplane seating configuration maps for their 777-300ER aircraft, they appear to have three different configurations -- 323, 333, and 353 seats.

http://www.evaair.com/en-global/flying-with-eva/fleet-facts/passenger/777-300er.html?filter=Passenger&fleet=777-300ER&seatmap=77B

It looks like the 323 and 333 seat planes are 3-3-3 in economy.

But the 353 seat planes are 3-4-3 in economy.

The EVA planes I've flown on lately between BKK and LAX have pretty much been the 3-4-3 variety.

Perhaps they're using the higher seat capacity, 3-4-3 configuration planes on the LAX route.

2047454117_2018-08-2516_27_20-.jpg.981b4e09cfb2bf46758fbb97ca5f56bc.jpg

406875613_2018-08-2516_28_00-.jpg.f3845132b2eced0014fd6ed97878743f.jpg

I always sit in the emergency exit rows in economy, so I know those row numbers. And they're different on the 323-333 versions vs. the 353 seat version. The emergency exit row numbers I'm always in on the LAX flights match up with the 353-seat configuration map and the 3-4-3 layout.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If you look at EVA's website and their airplane seating configuration maps for their 777-300ER aircraft, they appear to have three different configurations -- 323, 333, and 353 seats.

http://www.evaair.com/en-global/flying-with-eva/fleet-facts/passenger/777-300er.html?filter=Passenger&fleet=777-300ER&seatmap=77B

It looks like the 323 and 333 seat planes are 3-3-3 in economy.

But the 353 seat planes are 3-4-3 in economy.

The EVA planes I've flown on lately between BKK and LAX have pretty much been the 3-4-3 variety.

Perhaps they're using the higher seat capacity, 3-4-3 configuration planes on the LAX route.

2047454117_2018-08-2516_27_20-.jpg.981b4e09cfb2bf46758fbb97ca5f56bc.jpg

406875613_2018-08-2516_28_00-.jpg.f3845132b2eced0014fd6ed97878743f.jpg

I always sit in the emergency exit rows in economy, so I know those row numbers. And they're different on the 323-333 versions vs. the 353 seat version. The emergency exit row numbers I'm always in on the LAX flights match up with the 353-seat configuration map and the 3-4-3 layout.

My booking last month ams BKK

IMG_1089.jpeg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If you mean EVA's Amsterdam-BKK route, obviously, that's a different segment than their BKK-LAX route.

Different plane configuration. Different passenger capacities.

Yes but 1 seat less is whole lot of room..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I've flown Eva on their YYZ TPE BKK route numerous times.Food is a lot better than United on the YYZ ORD (or IAD) NRT BKK route. Also, Eva arrives in BKK around noon and the United (ANA) flight arrives around 11pm, which limits transportation options.

Just one issue with Eva last winter in Toronto, on departure, the pilot hit the de-icing station, so big delay.

EVA Air is very good. If you can get a good deal, go for it. Their service is good, their planes are very well maintained, they have one of the best safety records in the business, and if you are fortunate enough to be flying business class, the newer 777's have pod seating that is fantastic. Also, the lounges are excellent. The lounge at Swampy is wonderful. 

Even their economy seating is not terrible. And premium economy is quite comfortable, though a big step up in terms of price. Lastly, if you get silver or gold status with them, you are entitled to use most of their lounges, regardless of class of flight, and can check three large bags. Highly recommended. 

• Like 2

i always found eva and korean just about the same in comfort, food and price so always went with the best connections.

Now have switched to Cathay and will never look back:-)

Phuket- SFO( via HK)  18 /21 hours ONLY

Edited by phuketrichard

On 8/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, pr9spk said:

EVA are by far my favourite airline.

Its all about what choices are available for the regular routes that one takes. So that means Cathay Pacific for me. What both Eva and Cathay do represent however, for those flying out of Heathrow, is a preference over using BA.

Travelling from Heathrow over the years, I have used a lot of airlines. The last few times, EVA have been the cheapest and also the nicest flying experience, by far. I used EVA in 2008 for a return from LHR to BKK for 309GBP which was absolutely outrageous! After all the wine I drank there's no way they made money.

Once I paid about 350GBP for LHR to BKK return, but via Mumbai. It was an awful experience, I will never forget it. Jet airways if I remmeber correctly. Shocking.

Nowadays its more like 600 for a return. But not going back to LHR anyway, what a dump!

Edited by pr9spk

Travelling from Heathrow over the years, I have used a lot of airlines. The last few times, EVA have been the cheapest and also the nicest flying experience, by far. I used EVA in 2008 for a return from LHR to BKK for 309GBP which was absolutely outrageous! After all the wine I drank there's no way they made money.

Once I paid about 350GBP for LHR to BKK return, but via Mumbai. It was an awful experience, I will never forget it. Jet airways if I remmeber correctly. Shocking.

Nowadays its more like 600 for a return. But not going back to LHR anyway, what a dump!

I paid $499 Bangkok to Los Angeles return on China Airlines once, nice 747 service. Direct, but with a stop in Taipei.

For a while Korean had ~$1,800 return for business...

• 1 month later...

So. Imagine that Eva is even better. For you next trip :)

Thanks for the info.
I didn't take Eva but went on China Air, another Taiwan company. They were very good, most impressed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 7 plus met Tapatalk

On 10/2/2017 at 10:11 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno about to Europe, but I'm flying with them to the U.S. soon, and just checked their elite fares (premium economy). The elite fares seem to be just about double what the regular economy fares are. Business, of course, is even higher.

It used to be about a 200. USD increase but that was a few years back.    I was partial towards the golden ring in getting a one year open return ticket.   Wonder if that's still on the menu.

From Amsterdam to bkk the extra price is between 150 to 200 extra that I have paid over the last year's for a return ticket and in euro

It used to be about a 200. USD increase but that was a few years back.    I was partial towards the golden ring in getting a one year open return ticket.   Wonder if that's still on the menu.

9 minutes ago, robin33 said:

From Amsterdam to bkk the extra price is between 150 to 200 extra that I have paid over the last year's for a return ticket and in euro

I suspect it was worth every krone.

Edited by watcharacters

On 10/2/2017 at 9:52 AM, sfokevin said:

They have “Elite Class” which is a business class sized seat with the same food and such economy... go to their website and book it usually is reasonably priced compared to business

The seats are the old style business class, a bit wider and a bit more leg room. EVA the only airline I will fly in and out of BKK. I have been flying them for more than 15 years.

• Like 1

Been flying with Eva non stop to London for many years with no complaints.

However, in September I was tempted back to British Airways after a 20 year gap as their tickets cost 6000 baht cheaper than Eva saving me 12,000 baht.

I originally stopped using BA as felt Eva was better. Thus, on my return to using them again I was surprised to find several improvements.

First....a bit more leg room than Eva. Not much but an inch is better than nothing.

Secondly ...more comfortable seats. Softer and less planky than Eva.

Thirdly ....wine given in small screw stop bottles,not by the glass

Lastly, arrived at Terminal 5 which is not quite as manic as Terminal 3 when going through immigration with wife.

On the downside, the in flight entertainment was not as good as Eva's with poor movie choice and cheap screens that were not to clear.