Can't update MS OS.

thaibeachlovers

I have a Lenovo desktop computer using the MS scumware 10 OS that I had put on when I bought it a year and half ago.

MS tried to update it for the first time in 5 months, but says that my computer is missing some component and that it can't update.

Does this mean that it will eventually just fail ( it is working ok at the moment ), or can I still use it till the computer breaks?

Would I be better off putting firefox on, and would that even load if some component is missing? I don't want to make things worse by adding other OS if it's just going to complicate things.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have a Lenovo desktop computer using the MS scumware 10 OS that I had put on when I bought it a year and half ago.

MS tried to update it for the first time in 5 months, but says that my computer is missing some component and that it can't update.

Does this mean that it will eventually just fail ( it is working ok at the moment ), or can I still use it till the computer breaks?

Would I be better off putting firefox on, and would that even load if some component is missing? I don't want to make things worse by adding other OS if it's just going to complicate things.

Thanks.

It seems you don't know much about computers. Why don't you just go to a Lenovo shop and ask the experts? That should save you a lot of headache.

4 hours ago, dddave said:

Is your Win-10 legit?   

Are you sure?

My thought as well, especially since he "had [it] put on" the computer.  Sounds like it was a Lenovo without an O/S and the shop put on a bootleg copy of Windows.

Elsewise Windows Update will check regularly (daily?) for updates, and if nothing else, will install the monthly Patch Tuesday updates.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks.

The first release of Windows 10, known as 1507, is the version that Microsoft will no longer update after March 26, 2017. The other two versions of the product in market -- the November update (1511) from November 2015 and the Anniversary Update (1607) -- will continue to get regular security and feature fixes and updates.

The 1507 release won't just stop working, but it won't get updates of any kind after March 26. This is all part of Microsoft's grand Windows as a Service plan. No updates is one way of getting users to move to a more recent release.

You should always install the OS for yourself or at least know how to do so.

What is the full model number of the PC?

Edition, version and system type of OS? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system

Lastly, which SKU? Details under name and Description needed. Open a Command Prompt screen; https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-windows-10/ , type slmgr.vbs /dlv within and hit the Enter key.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you don't know much about computers. Why don't you just go to a Lenovo shop and ask the experts? That should save you a lot of headache.

LOL.

The idea of letting some spotty kid look through all the stuff I have on it is not a starter.

13 hours ago, wpcoe said:

My thought as well, especially since he "had [it] put on" the computer.  Sounds like it was a Lenovo without an O/S and the shop put on a bootleg copy of Windows.

Elsewise Windows Update will check regularly (daily?) for updates, and if nothing else, will install the monthly Patch Tuesday updates.

Power Buy don't sell Lenovo with an OS and I had it put on by the recommended person.

MS didn't say it was an illegal OS and they should know. It was just something missing.

Just now, petermik said:

Google "how do I know if my copy of windows is genuine or not" :whistling:

Thanks, but whether it is genuine or not is not the issue. I just want to know if all my saved info is going to vanish into the ether or not.

Lets say it isn't legal- then what do I do? Power Buy don't put OS on Lenovo so can't take it back there. Take it to some shop in Pantip and start from scratch but in same situation.

I asked Power Buy as to cost of having it replaced by another OS and half as much as a new cheap laptop, which is all I'd buy anyway.

Before anyone asks, yes all my data is backed up, but it'd be a pain to have to buy another computer and download everything to that.

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

You should always install the OS for yourself or at least know how to do so.

What is the full model number of the PC?

Edition, version and system type of OS? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system

Lastly, which SKU? Details under name and Description needed. Open a Command Prompt screen; https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-windows-10/ , type slmgr.vbs /dlv within and hit the Enter key.

Thank you, but apart from not understanding much of what you wrote, the problem isn't the OS, it's that MS can't update it. I accept that MS can't update it. I just want to know what happens now, and that was answered by yourself in your second quote.

The 1507 release won't just stop working, but it won't get updates of any kind after March 26. This is all part of Microsoft's grand Windows as a Service plan. No updates is one way of getting users to move to a more recent release.

BTW that's why millions of people hate MS, the scum company. I was happy with XP and hate 10.

With any luck, the thing won't stop working till I'm ready to leave LOS, as I was going to delete the hard drive and give it away then.