Marriage drama as pregnant 15 year old left at the "altar"

webfact

Marriage drama as pregnant 15 year old left at the "altar"

1am.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A marriage that never was is shaping up to be the Thai drama of the week after social media and TV have generated national interest.

A 17 year old groom left his 15 year old bride - who is pregnant with their child - standing at a wedding ceremony at the weekend.

The bride's family are furious because they shelled out 300,000 baht on an elaborate wedding feast. Now they have gone to police to get their money back from the groom and his family.

The 17 year old went back to Nakorn Sri Thammarat where he helps his family on a rubber plantation.

He said he still loves his sweetheart and their child but he is poor. It appears that this may be the stumbling block.

He told Daily News that he will take his punishment like a man but he still hold out hope of a reconciliation putting the ball back in his potential father-in-law's court.

Then later it appeared that a lawyer had been hired to fight the case.

The participants were only named as Miss A and Mr B.

Thaivisa notes that interest will probably die down as the nightly soaps on TV gain traction.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-03

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

Racist rubbish. 

I guess you are one of thoose who believe that leaving an unborn child and a bride just before a ceremony to be married is okey.
You really don´t hear the bells talking to you? You know, the ones that tells everybody else that it´s irresponsible.

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Don't know who to be angry with: the little man or the bride's family for shelling out 300k for an elaborate wedding, thereby giving tacit approval for this fiasco.

Spot on!

To be fair to the 17 year old, he's 17 years old. That can be like 12 years old in the West. I don't really think he understands the gravity of his situation. They're both very much still children here. They should not be getting married or having babies at this stage of their lives. There will be pressure from both families on these kids. And clearly, it's not good advice. 

Family influence and pressure is huge in Asia. My missus is always surprised that my mother never offers me advice. If I ask for it, she will give it. But she doesn't proceed to tell me how to live my life. She gave me the tools and common sense to make my own decisions. My missus' old dear still tries to tell my missus what to do, which in turn, makes my missus more likely to try and avoid her mum at times. 

Edited by rkidlad

He should be on statutory rape charges. Running away from the wedding he might - but he will hard job running away in those cold shower blocks in a Thai prison.

The age of consent in Thailand is 18 regardless of gender or sexual orientation, as specified by article 317,318 and 319 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

A high-profile example of this application of the law was a statutory rape charge filed against the lead singer of the Thai band Big Ass for allegedly having had sex with a (then) 16-year-old girl. The charge was filed by the girl after the singer refused to take responsibility for her baby. The singer has since been cleared of being the baby's father due to the results of a paternity test and he received 2 years suspended sentence.[84][85]

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Should have read "like a Thai man", i.e. shirk all responsibilities.

He's not a man, by the law in several countries he is still a minor. 

The parents of the girl child did not inform her enough about sex and it's consequences. 

The worst thing to do is to force them to marry. 

And anyway if I'm not mistaken, the legal age to marry is 16 with parental approval. 

In all likelihood the child will be raised by the grandparents. 

The best thing would be a good dose of sex education for the 2 minors. Continued contact for all parties. The young man did the right thing, marriage is not going to fix anything. 

2 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

His only chance of escaping statutory rape charges was to marry her. Sex is legal from 16 if it's not for money. Hope it costs him and his family a fortune. The poor girl has to bring up a child as a single teenage parent. 

Not sure that will even work, didn't for an acquaintance many years ago in Oz. Married before the trial and still got 6 months.

He's poor but the family could shell out 300,000 THB for the wedding.  Shell the money out to the kids and they could live relatively well until they get on their feet.  Talk about mixed priorities.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

Not sure that will even work, didn't for an acquaintance many years ago in Oz. Married before the trial and still got 6 months.

I believe because of the small age gap it , whilst discretionary, it does work. 

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

He should be on statutory rape charges. Running away from the wedding he might - but he will hard job running away in those cold shower blocks in a Thai prison.

The age of consent in Thailand is 18 regardless of gender or sexual orientation, as specified by article 317,318 and 319 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

A high-profile example of this application of the law was a statutory rape charge filed against the lead singer of the Thai band Big Ass for allegedly having had sex with a (then) 16-year-old girl. The charge was filed by the girl after the singer refused to take responsibility for her baby. The singer has since been cleared of being the baby's father due to the results of a paternity test and he received 2 years suspended sentence.[84][85]

hmmm.... articles 317, 318 and 319 if Thai Criminal code are about slavery, kidnapping and trafficking.

I believe the information on wikipedia regarding the age of consent in Thailand is wrong.

Edited by manarak

I just Thai "googled" my girlfriend and asked about the laws in Thailand:

These two are 15-17 years must obtain parental consent.  If you are under the age of 21 then serious penalties.  Since both are minors it would not be considered rape let alone statutory rape,

1 hour ago, connda said:

He's poor but the family could shell out 300,000 THB for the wedding.  Shell the money out to the kids and they could live relatively well until they get on their feet.  Talk about mixed priorities.

Noooooooooooo, He Never But.....The bride's family are furious because they shelled out 300,000 baht on an elaborate wedding feast. Now they have gone to police to get their money back from the groom and his family..