Yingluck ‘has left Dubai for London’

webfact

Yingluck ‘has left Dubai for London’

By The Nation

7da09e8121c6ccd0214f682ef8e56a3d.jpg

File photo: Yingluck Shinawatra

Deputy police chief Pol General Srivara Rangsipramanakul said on Tuesday that the United Arab Emirates had notified Thai authorities that fugitive former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra had left Dubai for London.

However, Srivara did not say when the information was provided.

He said the Thailand and the United Kingdom have an extradition treaty, but to seek extradition was the responsibility of prosecutors. 

“Police had done their responsible part and informed the Attorney-General [about Yingluck’s whereabouts],” Srivara said. 

Yingluck fled the country in August, just days before the Supreme Court was due to issue a verdict on her alleged negligence in preventing corruption and irregularities in the implementation of her government’s rice-pledging scheme.

Since then, she has not been seen in public, and her relatives in Thailand have remained silent regarding her whereabouts. 

The court last week sentenced her in absentia to five years in prison. 

After the verdict was read, Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha revealed that Yingluck was in Dubai. However, he was contradicted by foreign media reports that she was in London.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328358

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-03

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the Thailand and the United Kingdom have an extradition treaty, but to seek extradition was the responsibility of prosecutors. 

I doubt the UK would extradite on charges of negligence in office causing huge losses to state coffers. Guess you know what I mean. :whistling:

“Police had done their responsible part and informed the Attorney-General [about Yingluck’s whereabouts],” Srivara said. 

Not our problem anymore. 

That is not going to happen anytime soon.

If....IF.. the Thai government does request that  Interpol put a warrant out for her (as reported here) I can not see the UK government granting asylum until that is sorted out.....maybe a stay until it is.

But I really think the Thai Government are quite happy with the current situation.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

uty police chief Pol General Srivara Rangsipramanakul said on Tuesday that the United Arab Emirates had notified Thai authorities that fugitive former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra had left Dubai for London

Yes, we know. We read the news and have known for nearly a week. Way to save face. 

Yingluk hasn't been charged with or convicted of anything that could considered a crime in the UK, so extradition is not an option…..

Her conviction, sentence and stripping of political rights would strengthen an application for asylum by an ex / deposed Prime Minister, as would the rantings about her by self appointed Thai powers that be..

5 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

How did she manage to board a flight too the U.K. with out a Visa ?

Perhaps travelling on another passport, which doesn't require a visa, or perhaps she applied for & got one while in the UAE ?

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Perhaps travelling on another passport, which doesn't require a visa, or perhaps she applied for & got one while in the UAE ?

She may have dual British/ Thai nationality. She married an Oxford Don and her son's are British. She was educated at Oxford. 

5 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

She may have dual British/ Thai nationality. She married an Oxford Don and her son's are British. She was educated at Oxford. 

I think you have mixed Yingluck up with Ang San Suu Kyi old chap......

9 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

How did she manage to board a flight too the U.K. with out a Visa ?

She had a seat on this guy's jet.thaksinjet.jpg.e66f75584fcbe07b1cad57b14d2f8ee7.jpg

When you move in those circles of world society, other people open doors for you, you don't stand in immigration queues and money facilitates most of everything. She's not your average Jo sephine.. She can move as freely as does "Boss" Red Bull.

Does anyone with half a brain really think  they want her back  in Thailand .I hope the UK revoke her visa as they did with her brother went he left the UK to visit China for the Olympics. Dubai is a fitting location for these siblings .  

2 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

She never married, her common law husband is Thai, she did a funny degree at Kentucky State Uni over in the USA. I say funny as she did a degree but can't speak Engrish properree. No reason why she would have English citizenship.

11 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

She never married, her common law husband is Thai, she did a funny degree at Kentucky State Uni over in the USA. I say funny as she did a degree but can't speak Engrish properree. No reason why she would have English citizenship.

Asylum does not involve applying for British Citizenship. In fact the whole point of asylum is that she remains Thai, but is protected by the UK.

I understand the point about speaking English properly - there again have you ever spoken to someone from Cornwall?

:smile:

8 hours ago, JAG said:

Asylum does not involve applying for British Citizenship. In fact the whole point of asylum is that she remains Thai, but is protected by the UK.

I understand the point about speaking English properly - there again have you ever spoken to someone from Cornwall?

:smile:

Yes, my mother and her family, they all come from  Cornwall and speak proper English .

I use to work with a Jordie, when he got wound up ,you could not understand 50%  of what he said.

21 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Humble apologies!  I got my wires completely twisted! I was confusing get with Aung San Suu Kyi . Lord knows why! I must be more senile than I ever imagined!

Edited by aslimversgwm
Forgot to add something

14 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

No,actually I don't:smile:

Do you think that politicians in UK want to set an example for allowing to be imprisoned for negligence in office?

Applies to other countries too where dogmatic/irrational decisions waste billions of Euro.

I don't want to derail the thread by naming examples.