18 brands of chocolate products on sale in markets tainted with lead and cadmium

webfact

Everyone thinks the Iconic Toblerone is Swiss because of its shape - just like the Alps.

Actually the only reason it is triangular is because if it was square it wouldn't fit in the box!

Is that my taxi? No need to see me out .. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

lmao !  Whey  solids.  Yes. A  dairy   component.that used  to  be  dumped in  rivers  or  given as  free  pig  food. Then  the  discovery  that it  could  be  legally   used  as the base  component  of   many things  such as " Icecream"  or "Protein"  body  building supplements.

Even  with  its  inclusion  "Ice cream" is  a deceptive misnomer  for   Frozen  Confection.

Depends on what product you're talking about. If you look at the ingredient labels for the premium, non-Thai, imported ice creams sold here, they typically have actual CREAM and/or milk as the first/main ingredient. Those ice creams are actual ice cream.

If you look at the labels of the Thai local brands, you'll find plenty of palm oil, sugar, glucose and various other chemicals. But the closest they typically come to having any milk or cream is the infamous whey solids you mention above. When I buy and want to eat ICE CREAM, I DON'T want some chemical infused jumble of whey solids, palm oil and sugar.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Depends on what product you're talking about. If you look at the ingredient labels for the premium, non-Thai, imported ice creams sold here, they typically have actual CREAM and/or milk as the first/main ingredient. Those ice creams are actual ice cream.

If you look at the labels of the Thai local brands, you'll find plenty of palm oil, sugar, glucose and various other chemicals. But the closest they typically come to having any milk or cream is the infamous whey solids you mention above. When I buy and want to eat ICE CREAM, I DON'T want some chemical infused jumble of whey solids, palm oil and sugar.

You  are   right.  Premium  imports  mostly  do  have   genuine whole   milk   content. Even  so  I  have  never  seen one  that   contains  such  at  the  minimum  content  of   40%  which used  to be  the   descriptive   standard for   genuine  icecream. It  is  the

majority  of  the  content  that I  object  to in either  product which  are  actually  similar. Many chocolate  products   are  also  similar  in  using   extract  waste   derivatives in  excusive   description  of   genuine  content.

" Food   Technology" is  a  very  profitable  business in  selling  the  world  garbage   now.  Not   for  lack  of  real food  content   but in the  interest  of   profiteering.

16 hours ago, tokyoblond said:

Did I miss something here? The "amounts of the two toxic substances detected are within the set standards". Doesn't that mean that there is no story?

16 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So if the chocolates are within the set (EU) health standards then what is the point.

But Ms Saree Ongsomwang got herself in the news. That was probably the point and the story.

12 hours ago, eefoo said:

Didn't we have a post recently where 16 or so Thai registered airlines were found to be in breach of safety regulations, but they couldn't be named. Chocolate companies, who haven't done anything wrong, apparently, can be named. What's wrong with this sketch .....?

The hub of double-standards.

16 hours ago, tokyoblond said:

Did I miss something here? The "amounts of the two toxic substances detected are within the set standards". Doesn't that mean that there is no story?

Sadly it doesn't mean there is no lead or cadmium.

It is a bit like the standard of acceptable levels of rat droppings in potato chips....zero works for me.

17 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So if the chocolates are within the set (EU) health standards then what is the point.

To quote:

"Since there is no set standard for chocolate products in Thailand, she suggested that Thailand adopts the standard of the EU regarding cadmium which will come into force in the next two years".

So if Thailand has no standards for chocolate what is she implying apart from muddying the names of respected manufacturers? Anyway they will adopt the EU standards in two years time. Can't rush these things! Thai bureaucracy at it's finest. 

You're just upset because they left Cadbury out!:smile:

Many expats extoll the \values of Thailand not being a "nanny state" - one of the problems is that 

1 - there is no reliable system to check food and confectionary products

2 - In the absence of this manufacturers will take advantage of this and cut corners in production.

It's not rocket science to check where your product was made.

The Lindt brand that I depicted is of course made in Switzerland.

lindt.jpg

It's true that a custom/known brand name does not garantuee where it was made.

Most of the chocolates /candy sold here are from the big global players which produce at whatever location fits best.

16 hours ago, xerostar said:

These two sound a bit dodgy ..

Lotte Ghana Black Chocolate Extra Cocoa
Lotte Ghana Extra Cacoa Black

I wonder if Nigeria makes chocolate too ?

Nothing dodgy.

Ghana is a country in West Africa, nothing to do with Nigeria.

Good chocolate contains a substantial amount of cocoa.

Cocoa is expensive compared to fat and sugar.

Now you can think what cheap chocolate/candy is made of.

Ghana is one of the most important cocoa exporters.

Even highly dependent on cacao.

So the label just suggests that cacao from Ghana is used.

Nothing particularly "special" I guess.

My coffee is "Guatemala", roasted in Germany :smile:

22 hours ago, Lingba said:

The fact that toxic anything is even allowed regardless of the level is ridiculous

The fact that the human body contains trillions of microorganisms — outnumbering human cells by 10 to 1 - shows we don't live in a perfect world.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On a related topic, I was reading the labels on the local Snickers chocolate bars sold here in Thailand, and oddly, they're manufactured and imported from China. That was the end of me ever eating Snickers bars in Thailand.

Too much plastic?

Edited by Jonah Tenner

On 10/4/2017 at 4:12 PM, tokyoblond said:

Or maybe - as often the case in Thailand - they are trying to expose certain brands as being bad for you - and they happen to work for a competitor. Not sure this is the case here, can we trust them to be impartial when even judges and police in Thailand are also easily boght off?

They should rather focus on making some standards or apply/copy those from EU, so they they can start find really / more problematic products

On 10/4/2017 at 4:10 PM, Cadbury said:

To quote:

"Since there is no set standard for chocolate products in Thailand, she suggested that Thailand adopts the standard of the EU regarding cadmium which will come into force in the next two years".

So if Thailand has no standards for chocolate what is she implying apart from muddying the names of respected manufacturers? Anyway they will adopt the EU standards in two years time. Can't rush these things! Thai bureaucracy at it's finest. 

there is no safe amount of lead , it is just how fast or slow you want to get stupid . low IQ abound here . and thai peeps do love their chocolate  . 

Edited by mikiea

9 hours ago, mikosan said:

I have read this correctly haven't I?  They have no standards for chocolate here, they are thinking of introducing the EU standards in 2 years?  So this is a none story and they should get their <deleted> sued.

not a non story .... telling you eating Thai chocolate makes you stupid if laced with lead . it is not allowed in paint why would it be allowed in chocolate  ? any amount of lead makes you stupid . jeeeeze .........

On 10/4/2017 at 4:17 PM, Lingba said:

The fact that toxic anything is even allowed regardless of the level is ridiculous

Even fruits contain some alcohol. Some stuff comes with products. That's the way it is.

Is salt forbidden? Is it good for you?

From the full story on ThaiPBS:

Ms Monrudee Po-in, a nutrition expert of the foundation, ... recommended consumers to be cautious when consuming chocolate products.

How exactly should one be cautious about eating chocolate?  Should we smell it before eating?  Should we eat "only a little bit"?
Non-story, non-advice.  This study was published so that the government people can appear to be doing something to earn their wages.

On ‎4‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 11:17 AM, Lingba said:

Then do not consume ANY milk, as all milk on this planet contains D.D.T.

Same for rice: all contains aflatoxin. ( very, very littlebit, as if much, the rice grains discolour, loose shininess, add deforms, which are - for the far majority - will be filtered out by sortex systems. But.. 100 % clear... does not exist.)

Same for corn, wheat, peanuts, and all tree nuts.

So, stop eating !

I read recently that Queen Elizabeth loves dark chocolate, the darker the better.  I wonder if she heard this bit of news.

In the US chocolate is allowed to have a certain amount of "rat droppings" because hell, those darned things are everywhere.  This was first allowed around 1970.  Cynical minds (ahem!) suspect that the manufacturers intentionally fulfill the allowed amount because it is probably the cheapest ingredient.  If you want a reason to avoid Hershey's chocolate products...

Edited by bendejo

On 10/4/2017 at 2:12 AM, tokyoblond said:

It means, "ooh, be scared and buy my newspaper."