Elderly people to receive another 100 baht monthly cost of living allowance

webfact

Elderly people to receive another 100 baht monthly cost of living allowance

By Chalarntorn Yothasmutra

elderly-payment6oct17.jpg

Elderly people who are over 60 and have low income will receive another 100 baht monthly cost of living allowance, bringing to a total sum of 600 baht/month and 700 baht/month for those who are over 70.

A bill on the cost of living allowance for low-income earners who are over 60 and over 70 years of age which was proposed by the government was approved in principle on Thursday by the National Legislative Assembly.

Most assembly debated in favour of increasing the monthly allowance to the elderly people, but they suggested that officials should screen the allowance recipients to make sure that only those who are poor should be eligible to the allowance.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/elderly-people-receive-another-100-baht-monthly-cost-living-allowance/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-06

3 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I wonder how those MPs would react if we raised their monthly salary or expense allowance by 100 baht.

They leave that amount as a tip each day at the parliament canteen/mess hall/club or wherever they wine and dine. Frankly an insult to most Thais of senior age. that's about $3.00.

However we all understand there are greater priorities with this munificent government, trains, subs, helos etc etc.

26 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

They leave that amount as a tip each day at the parliament canteen/mess hall/club or wherever they wine and dine. Frankly an insult to most Thais of senior age. that's about $3.00.

However we all understand there are greater priorities with this munificent government, trains, subs, helos etc etc.

What sort of dollars do you use - 700 Baht more like 20 ?

Edited by canopus1969

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

What sort of dollars do you use - 700 Baht more like 20 ?

An INCREASE of the current monthly pension by 100 baht (read the article again) corresponds to approximately $3; ratcatcher is correct.

Apart from that, would YOU be able to make ends meet with a mere 700 baht ($20) pension in your pocket each month? Even in Thailand that is an insulting amount while the government carelessly splurges on multi-billion-baht submarines and other non-essential acquisitions. I'd rather have the recent increases in excise tax benefit the elderly in this country than being wasted on fanciful high-speed railroads that will never see the light of day because most of the budget will be siphoned off by politicians.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

officials should screen the allowance recipients to make sure that only those who are poor should be eligible to the allowance.

I bet these local officials are rubbing their hands at the prospect of having their palms greased to ensure eligibility.

Sorry but i disagree with other posters on this subject.

I worked all my life to get a pittance of a pension from the UK.

My F.I.L. (Thai) has never paid income tax his whole life, he gets the small pension from the Thai government, having never contributed towards his pension.

My point is many old people here are getting a small pension for no input what so ever.

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My point is many old people here are getting a small pension for no input what so ever.

So do old people in the UK, they get Pension Credit, a lot more than 600/700bt I would imagine, not to mention all the extras available on top.

16 minutes ago, nausea said:

So do old people in the UK, they get Pension Credit, a lot more than 600/700bt I would imagine, not to mention all the extras available on top.

Yes but people in the UK have paid national insurance all their working lives, here they are getting money , but never contributed, get it correct please.

13 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

An extra 3 meals a month might actually seem good for some very poor people.

That is exactly what I meant, in a sarcastic way,when the Government

is spending Billions on war weapons that will never get used.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

My F.I.L. (Thai) has never paid income tax his whole life, he gets the small pension from the Thai government, having never contributed towards his pension.

Yeah but they've been ripped-off all their lives by successive corrupt governments who've cheated them out of an education worth having and a decent livelihood.

Edited by piersbeckett

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

And many in the UK now on the pension have not done a day's work in their lives...cradle to grave spongers....and the UK is not alone...we have intergenerational institutionalised  bludgers in Australia too. The Labor Party loves them and it isn't going to change soon.

Edited by tryasimight

Reading many of these posts, it is obviously clear many posters haven't been off their bar stool let alone outside of the bar, but consider themselves experts on life away from Bkk or Pattaya. 

7 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Even the Eastern Europeans that moved to the UK get  a lot more than the

pittance these poor old Thai folks get. Most posters on this forum are like

rich Thai pople and  just seem to forget that point.

Geezer

Well may I make a suggestion, that you start contributing to the local economy, because yes we have more than many

Many older thais also do not wish to work, similar to the rest of the world

My wife and I pay wages to three local people who help in the house and garden, we help her parents and look after two stepsons, this all contributes in excess of 40,000 bhat a month, to the local economy, and in the early years we could not find people to come and do light gardening and housework, we pay in excess of min wage

In many ways the Thai system works for the elderly, ( children picking up many costs) the UK system is just so far over the top and unsustainable

Thailand is a very different culture, and with a  benefit system like the UK, it would be bust in a matter of days