PHOTOS: Torrential rain leaves Pattaya Beach Road flooded

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

OMG yes. The pollution, trash, rats, open ditches, filth, stink, crappy views, no beach, broken sidewalks, broken pedestrian lights, crappy promenade with no shade or seats, shops closed, deserted malls, sidewalks broken and blocked, overhanging signs, speed bumps, overhanging wires, corrupt police, no metered taxis, arrogant hotel clerks, unsmiling cashiers, crazy driving, overpricing, crotch-grabbing ladyboys, gold necklace & bag snatchers, baht bus ripoffs, deserted condo buildings, deserted malls, Bali Hai desolation, ruined buildings, ruined pier, Waterford, jet ski scams, deserted bars, high bar fines, noise pollution, lack of overpasses on Sukhumvit, constant traffic jam, Chinese, Russians, Indians, Arabs and other non-Brits, runny fried eggs, haircuts with white sidewalls--to mention just a few critical issues. It's TOTAL CATASTROPHE. How can ANYBODY live in this cesspool??? Suicide is the only answer.

Well said and 100% correct......and applies to other towns/cities in Thailand as well

But you forgot the "brown floaties" in the sea in Pattaya :cheesy:

• Like 1

OMG yes. The pollution, trash, rats, open ditches, filth, stink, crappy views, no beach, broken sidewalks, broken pedestrian lights, crappy promenade with no shade or seats, shops closed, deserted malls, sidewalks broken and blocked, overhanging signs, speed bumps, overhanging wires, corrupt police, no metered taxis, arrogant hotel clerks, unsmiling cashiers, crazy driving, overpricing, crotch-grabbing ladyboys, gold necklace & bag snatchers, baht bus ripoffs, deserted condo buildings, deserted malls, Bali Hai desolation, ruined buildings, ruined pier, Waterford, jet ski scams, deserted bars, high bar fines, noise pollution, lack of overpasses on Sukhumvit, constant traffic jam, Chinese, Russians, Indians, Arabs and other non-Brits, runny fried eggs, haircuts with white sidewalls--to mention just a few critical issues. It's TOTAL CATASTROPHE. How can ANYBODY live in this cesspool??? Suicide is the only answer.

You said deserted malls twice

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

Bulldoze one of the Sois, 6, 7 or 8, you pick one, and build one of those USA style concrete spillways leading down to the beach. Feed all the rain drains into it for the wet season and in the dry season let the locals have bike and car drag races on it.

Just sayin'

images (46).jpg

Soi 6........ good heavens, not soi 6!

5 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Imagine my disappointment on a recent visit to Pattaya 

I wasn't robbed or in anyway accosted by lady boys, shaken down by the police on trumped up

charges, never paid more than 20 baht to one of the Mafia owned busses, I wasn't involved in any

kind of accident on the road either as a passenger or pedestrian.

The taxi ride from the airport was driven by a courteous and competent guy who turned up on

time and charged the agreed price (1000 baht including tolls)

Sadly no sign of the carnage I was expecting.

Of course I spent more money than I probably should, but had a wonderful time. I met some interesting

characters, mainly friendly young ladies from the North East (Isaan, not Newcastle!)

I wasn't expecting to be immersed in Thai culture and can understand that it isn't for everyone and 

also I was visiting with a newbies wide eyed wonderment, but I don't think the place is anywhere

as bad as some would say.

Nahhhh your right ignorance and not knowing is bliss

11 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Everything you say here is true so the sarcasm thing doesn't work. Been to Pattaya a couple of times the past 2 years and I want to love the place, it's got a lot going for it. Golf is awesome there, good restaurants, hotel rates are reasonable. As a place a frozen Canadian can escape to, it works. But for all the reasons you've listed, and a few more,  I'd never buy a condo or make it home. I don't post here often but read everything. You remind of Bagdad Ali. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JSixpack said:

HAHA.  Yes, it is mostly true which is why I love this place. Much better then purgatory in my country.

Always get scrambled eggs!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

HAHA.  Yes, it is mostly true which is why I love this place. Much better then purgatory in my country.

Always get scrambled eggs!

And the eggs are "fresh & golden"

Unlike the ancient "milky-white" specimens sold in UK supermarkets

18 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

They love cement , Everything is concreted .Out the back of 3rd rd used to be fields and a huge pond where apart from collecting excess water they had karioke entertainment huts at night , Today all filled ,cemented over and highrise condos !!! What and where does one expect  the water to go ??? I,m sure as heck the correct infrastructure is not placed underground. The development of Pattaya over the last 15-20 years has been rapid and random construction allowed everywhere .It always has had flooding issues and always will . Has the new Tunnel to Jom Tien filled up yet???? Is it actually operating 5 years on?? As well as the flood problem ,theres pollution , roundabout , baht bus , traffic ,the list just goes on and on , When you have monkeys in power what can one expect!

TELL me where the tunnel to JOMTIEN is.....would like to go see and drive through it

19 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

Great idear but thats thinking , a skill not possessed here!

I posted it with humour in mind but I've thinking about it and I'm starting to believe it might be a reasonable idea.

Dry season you've an easily cleaned up area for events whatever and weekend drag races etc.

15 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Well said and 100% correct......and applies to other towns/cities in Thailand as well

But you forgot the "brown floaties" in the sea in Pattaya :cheesy:

"Pollution" is sort of all-encompassing there, pal. But lest any poster feel his shrewd observation and important concerns have been slighted, lemme add more:

Dearth of proper pig scratchings, itinerant street vendors, itinerant shoe shiners, motorcycle "trucks, " soi dogs, massage touts, 101 businesses noncompliance (often fingered by the mighty TVF Pointing Finger Of Justice), balcony pushers, hotel safecrackers, nothing but fat ugly old women, internet speeds slower than advertised, blocked Daily Mail, power outages, unneeded overpriced ferry service to Hua Hin, unneeded overpriced Hooters, Starbucks, half-assed aircon service, bus terminal baht bus overcharging, missing motorcy taxi fare signage, inattentive ignorant hardware store salespersons, underage motorcyclists, no promised Foodland on Threppasit, overpriced private hospitals with incompetent doctors, overpriced eyeglasses, overcharging dentists, no prominent signage pointing to cheap whey protein powder and testosterone, Tony's Gym lacking aircon, Chinese kid poopers, dearth of DIY coin-operated washing machines, ant infestations, dengue fever worries, old growth trees cut down,  Big C satang rounding-up scam, scooters with no exhausts, pervasive DEAD and DYING atmosphere necessitating endless diagnoses, exhumations, new autopsies, and issuance of yearly Death Certificates.

The latest Evil, too horrible yet even to mention, let alone contemplate, is the Unflooded Tunnel Disaster. Once the awfulness of that reality sinks in, our large brigade of Flooders will be joining the other balcony divers. So sad, and decimating to truly informed, authoritative posting on our beloved forum. But, c'est la vie. A new generation of noobs FOB awaits to try to fill those shoes.

When I gather a few more I think I'll post these in a new thread, The Querulous Granny's Definitive List Of Pattaya Evils. Maybe that could be made a sticky and everyone post their whinges and brilliant highly original solutions there. A one-stop reference, so to speak. Save an incredible amount of repetition and web space. 

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, midas said:

That's very Freudian isn't it:giggle:

On my mind 'cause the phenomenon needs to be rehashed a couple times a year. The deserted, failed, white elephant Terminal 21 thread is coming up where we do it all again. Whee!

Reminds me, dear midas, I didn't mention that fiat currency in use in Pattaya and its coming collapse. 'Course, that's not really Pattaya-specific though.