What is considered as proof of sufficient money?

In case someone is asked to show proof of sufficient money, by the immigration upon entry, for example, can one show:

- a Thai bank book, with a positive balance

- a credit card issued by a Thai bank

or is it a cash only request?

Same question for the application for certain visas (not those requiring hundreds of thousands of bahts, obviously).

If asked for financial proof on entry they will want to see the equivalent of 20k baht in cash or travelers checks.

A bank book or statement could be used to prove you are not working here if the funds were coming from abroad.

For a visa application a bank book or statement would be the only thing they would be the only thing they would accept to prove the equivalent of 20k baht.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For a visa application a bank book or statement would be the only thing they would be the only thing they would accept to prove the equivalent of 20k baht.

Thanks Ubonjoe.

For the record, which kind of visa applications require to show 20,000 bahts, and is this requirement applicable everywhere for the concerned visas, or does it depend on where one makes the application?

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Could you be more precise...VEE? Everything else?

Thank you.

Visa exempt entry VEE

Everything else,  any other visa or indeed extension of stay.  But as stated it seems to be very erratic down to IO's discretion.  Long term Tourist visa people for example

33 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

For the record, which kind of visa applications require to show 20,000 bahts, and is this requirement applicable everywhere for the concerned visas, or does it depend on where one makes the application?

The 20k baht financial requirement is for all visas except for ones like the OA visa that requires financial proof to obtain it. But a transit visa that allow allows a 30 day entry only requires 10k baht. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Whether you are asked for it depends upon where you apply for it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 20k baht financial requirement is for all visas except for ones like the OA visa that requires financial proof to obtain it. But a transit visa that allow allows a 30 day entry only requires 10k baht. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

OK...so for any visa application, better to have my bank book with me, showing a balance of at least 20,000 bahts, in case the officer asks for it.

I suppose that the bank book must have been updated shortly before making the application...

For a visa application, check for the requirements on the website of the consulate where you will apply .

Where a consulate enforces this requirement (apparently very rare), the bank deposit does not have to be in Baht; it can be the equivalent of the required Baht amount in any currency in any bank in any country.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

For a visa application, check for the requirements on the website of the consulate where you will apply .

Where a consulate enforces this requirement (apparently very rare), the bank deposit does not have to be in Baht; it can be the equivalent of the required Baht amount in any currency in any bank in any country.

I would augment this slightly by mentioning that applying for tourist visas, at some consulates, whether you are asked for financial proof may depend, among other things, on

• your nationality; and/or
  • whether you have received a tourist visa from that consulate before (or, in a few cases, whether you have had many tourist visas in your current passport anywhere).
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

OK...so for any visa application, better to have my bank book with me, showing a balance of at least 20,000 bahts, in case the officer asks for it.

I suppose that the bank book must have been updated shortly before making the application...

Note that the Phnom Penh and Manila Thai Consulates have been asking to see bank-books or statements with $1000 USD equivalent rather than 20K Baht equivalent.

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Note that the Phnom Penh and Manila Thai Consulates have been asking to see bank-books or statements with $1000 USD equivalent rather than 20K Baht equivalent.

France SETV 1000€ METV 5000€ NON OA MULTI retirement purpose 20000€

On 10/7/2017 at 2:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

If asked for financial proof on entry they will want to see the equivalent of 20k baht in cash or travelers checks.

A bank book or statement could be used to prove you are not working here if the funds were coming from abroad.

I've been on a non-o extension for 4 years now and all they will except from me is a Proof of Income Affidavit from the Embassy, but I'm a pensioner so I don't know what other people have to show.  When we used to visit here all the time back when I worked in Japan I'd just come for a few weeks once in a while and they never asked to see anything.  Although I think that's called a Visa Exempt Entry or something I don't know.  I never used to get a tourist visa because we'd never stay longer than 30 days.  Now I live here on a Non-O Marriage Visa I'm retired.  I've heard of people having to show bank statements before but I've never been asked to show one not even at the Embassy when getting my Proof of Income Affidavit.  I always bring my pension paperwork with me to the Embassy and immigration whenever I get my annual extension but no one ever wants to see it. They just take my word that I have income. I guess it's because when I get the Proof of Income Affidavit I'm swearing under oath that I am receiving my pension and that's all I've ever needed.  I'm glad it's easy but anyone can just say they are receiving income and get a Proof of Income Affidavit.  I've heard that some embassies do ask to see paperwork to prove it but our embassy doesn't ask they just take our word for it.  

On 10/7/2017 at 5:01 PM, ubonjoe said:

For a non-o they just need the Proof of Income Affidavit from the Embassy but you have to be receiving at least 40,000 Baht a month from your home country or have at least 400,000 Baht in the bank from what I understand.  

6 hours ago, serpent32 said:

For a non-o they just need the Proof of Income Affidavit from the Embassy but you have to be receiving at least 40,000 Baht a month from your home country or have at least 400,000 Baht in the bank from what I understand.  

That appears to be the requirements to apply for an extension of stay at an immigration office not a non-o visa issued at an embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That appears to be the requirements to apply for an extension of stay at an immigration office not a non-o visa issued at an embassy or consulate.

It's a requirement in Penang.

Multi entry O Visa you are required to show 400,000 baht.

Single entry O Visa (90 days) I believe is 200,000 baht.

Reply is not to UBJ by the way, should have been to previous post.

Edited by overherebc

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's a requirement in Penang.

Multi entry O Visa you are required to show 400,000 baht.

Single entry O Visa (90 days) I believe is 200,000 baht.

Penang and perhaps another location  nearby are a rarity. The majority of embassies and consulates do not ask for financial proof to get a single or multiple entry non-o based upon marriage.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Penang and perhaps another location  nearby are a rarity. The majority of embassies and consulates do not ask for financial proof to get a single or multiple entry non-o based upon marriage.

Last time I used Seoul I had my bank book in case it was asked for but was told not required. Takes 3 days there though, hand in Monday and collect Wednesday.

On 10/9/2017 at 7:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

Correct when I got mine at the Thai Consulate in New York they didn't require much at all it was an easy process. 

On 10/7/2017 at 11:28 AM, Brunolem said:

Thanks Ubonjoe.

For the Paris Embassy (a 60 day visa) I have to show a letter from the bank that says I have 1000 euros in my account.  With bank exchange etc I am showing them that I have more than 30,000 baht.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:41 AM, serpent32 said:

I've been on a non-o extension for 4 years now and all they will except from me is a Proof of Income Affidavit from the Embassy, but I'm a pensioner so I don't know what other people have to show.  When we used to visit here all the time back when I worked in Japan I'd just come for a few weeks once in a while and they never asked to see anything.  Although I think that's called a Visa Exempt Entry or something I don't know.  I never used to get a tourist visa because we'd never stay longer than 30 days.  Now I live here on a Non-O Marriage Visa I'm retired.  I've heard of people having to show bank statements before but I've never been asked to show one not even at the Embassy when getting my Proof of Income Affidavit.  I always bring my pension paperwork with me to the Embassy and immigration whenever I get my annual extension but no one ever wants to see it. They just take my word that I have income. I guess it's because when I get the Proof of Income Affidavit I'm swearing under oath that I am receiving my pension and that's all I've ever needed.  I'm glad it's easy but anyone can just say they are receiving income and get a Proof of Income Affidavit.  I've heard that some embassies do ask to see paperwork to prove it but our embassy doesn't ask they just take our word for it.  

that is the way the usa embassy/consulate in chiang mai works; they do charge uSD 50 for notarization; also , don't forget about the 'combination method' (assets + income)

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

that is the way the usa embassy/consulate in chiang mai works; they do charge uSD 50 for notarization; also , don't forget about the 'combination method' (assets + income)

You mean the US Consulate in Chiangmai actually does ask to see proof that you are actually receiving a pension or whatever type of income?  

9 hours ago, serpent32 said:

You mean the US Consulate in Chiangmai actually does ask to see proof that you are actually receiving a pension or whatever type of income?  

They are forbidden to do this (by law, I believe).  US Consulate personnel witness you swearing to the accuracy of a document - that is all - and the documents state that this is the case.

This policy provides a potential reason for rejection of their documents - at amphurs for marriage (freedom to marry doc), at immigration (income statements), etc.  Therefore, proof of income beyond a US stat-doc (bank-books etc) might be requested by immigration - but would not be requested at the US Consulate.