Soldiers raid unofficial Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan

rooster59

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

"Unexpected"? Huh?

"Many booked... months before". Well, a wee bit-o-research would have let them know a YEAR ago this was gonna happen.

Dumbasses.

A wee bit of research would have told them only that there was a public holiday the week of the cremation, not that the entire month was closed down.

I bet NONE of the hotels waived the requirement to stay for many days or higher room rates if any for the party. I also bet NONE of the hotels warned that the party was banned when taking bookings.

Who's the dumbass?

Given that this will be all over facebook and social media by now I expect that every place that caters for the youth set will be getting cancellations for all of October now. What young person will come if it means getting raided by the army for trying to enjoy themselves on "holiday"?

Won't be just Hat Rin either, as the crackdown is everywhere. Expect Khao San Rd to be short of customers too.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, owl sees all said:

That is the point. Thais are told what is offensive and what is not. Some manage to free themselves from the constant indoctrination. They have to keep their heads down and watch what they say in public it's true (30 years in the cage is a long time) but in private and in thoughts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's a bit like the Charlie Hebdo debacle. It wasn't until imans started telling groups around the world that they should be offended that things finally kicked off as they did. 

People are manipulated the world over; not just Thais.

For me personally the challenge is my daughter. How to get her to seek evidence before myth; facts before folklore; truth before propaganda. But at the same time respect and love your fellow human.

Agree, but this a website for expats in Thailand and I think people should understand what is offensive and is not to their host country. It's like me opening a thread on an Israeli expats website ridiculing them for not eating pork 

7 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Agree, but this a website for expats in Thailand and I think people should understand what is offensive and is not to their host country. It's like me opening a thread on an Israeli expats website ridiculing them for not eating pork 

??????????????

It's NOT an "expat site". It's for anyone whether living in Thailand or not, whether a 3 day tourist or an English teacher looking for a job.

Anyway, the thread is about young tourists coming to party on a beach in a country they know nothing about, not grumpy old expats that think they know it all about LOS.

13 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It's the end of an Era!

With in reason have fun. 

The million baht question is what constitutes "within reason".

The official answer will dictate if tourism loses millions of baht over the month ( and in the future ) or not.

Just now, Dave67 said:

To a degree Dave we are singing from the same hymnsheet. But where I dissagree with you is you saying what people find offensive. Some are; some could be ; some might if they were told they should be and some are not offended. I might add that the VAST majority of Thais are not (in my view).

In my experience (Isaan based) the people here do not find things as offensive as their perceived betters would like them to. There is a massive cultural ecomomic and rift in Thailand and this is reflected in many ways. I'll not get into the shirt colours!! 

It could be that much of Isaan has more in common with Lao people than those from BKK. I just don't see the grief, outrate or offence up here.

People are 'gradually' beginning to see through the smoke (B/s). Not in my lifetime but maybe during my 7 year old daughter's they might be able to see truth rather than propaganda.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

??????????????

It's NOT an "expat site". It's for anyone whether living in Thailand or not, whether a 3 day tourist or an English teacher looking for a job.

Anyway, the thread is about young tourists coming to party on a beach in a country they know nothing about, not grumpy old expats that think they know it all about LOS.

It's mainly for Expats though isn't it and those who want information about coming/living in Thailand, So wrong message before they come, Anyway you carry on defending those so culturally illiterate they have a party on a beach during one saddest moment in Thai history. I see your username is thaibeachlover you obviously only like the shallow part of the beach.  Go back to sleep

Sleeping.jpg

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

I can't let that go without reply Dave. For mot Thais up here sad was the red drum massacres; the murder of students at Thammasat Uni and more recently the killing of Red shirters in BKK.

Thats my whole point Owl for them not for us

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

During the past year the only Thais I have seen wearing those black ribons were gov' workers. As for wearing black; well I've got a black T-shirt. And I might wear it if it's the one I touch first when looking for a top to put on. Thais are conditioned to being told what to think and do from a young age. Most TVForum posters have a more open and inquisitive mind.

Really? In the local village ALL the KBank staff have been weraing black since the king died. I think that is par for all the banks.

All the 7/11 staff while not wearing black anymore all still wear the black ribbon and most of the teachers and government workers are in normal uniforms also wearing the black ribbons.

They do it out of respect for the King.

When royal figures or high ranking people die in the west nobody really cares for long as there is no respect there any more.

I know where I prefer to live.

19 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

It's mainly for Expats though isn't it and those who want information about coming/living in Thailand, So wrong message before they come, Anyway you carry on defending those so culturally illiterate they have a party on a beach during one saddest moment in Thai history. I see your username is thaibeachlover you obviously only like the shallow part of the beach.  Go back to sleep

Sleeping.jpg

It's mainly for Expats though isn't it and those who want information about coming/living in Thailand

Perhaps you only post on this site, but many post on sub forums that have little relevance to living in LOS.

defending those so culturally illiterate they have a party on a beach during one saddest moment in Thai history

They paid a lot of money to come to LOS for one reason only, and due to no fault of their own were denied the opportunity. It would never happen in their country, so why would young people even imagine it would happen here?

I see you have no compassion for all the Thais that will suffer financially because once this hits social media, many will be cancelling their hotel bookings, and the damage will continue after. People that paid for something they don't get become angry, and they don't forget.

BTW, young people are illiterate in almost every way, so why expect them to know about here?

You know nothing about me, so I suggest you hold the personal flaming.

That photo isn't, IMO, on a Thai beach- why did you use it here?

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A wee bit of research would have told them only that there was a public holiday the week of the cremation, not that the entire month was closed down.

I bet NONE of the hotels waived the requirement to stay for many days or higher room rates if any for the party. I also bet NONE of the hotels warned that the party was banned when taking bookings.

Who's the dumbass?

Given that this will be all over facebook and social media by now I expect that every place that caters for the youth set will be getting cancellations for all of October now. What young person will come if it means getting raided by the army for trying to enjoy themselves on "holiday"?

Won't be just Hat Rin either, as the crackdown is everywhere. Expect Khao San Rd to be short of customers too.

A wee bit of research would have told them how much the King was revered and a wee bit more would have revealed that October would be a sketchy month for Full Moon style partying.

You see it as someone else's responsibility to make sure your vaycay goes well. I see it as a personal responsibility. I'll stick with my dumbass assessment.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So they are not told to respect in this way then.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

All the 7/11 staff while not wearing black anymore all still wear the black ribbon and most of the teachers and government workers are in normal uniforms also wearing the black ribbons.

I live 20k from a bank and all the villages I have been to I've not seen a black shirt or ribbon.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The million baht question is what constitutes "within reason".

The official answer will dictate if tourism loses millions of baht over the month ( and in the future ) or not.

I'm sure if no Full Moon Parties Thailand will be ok for the month. The within in reason again, not music that will incite a party or appears in having fun. Also, really the beach party was over 5 and was unlawful under the Junta's rules as has to be registered for gathering. If there are a few hundred white boys and girls less not coming for the beach parties, then it won't matter much to the economy. From my eyes, the Chinese are everywhere and already ahead of the financial game. 

4 minutes ago, mikebike said:

A wee bit of research would have told them how much the King was revered and a wee bit more would have revealed that October would be a sketchy month for Full Moon style partying.

You see it as someone else's responsibility to make sure your vaycay goes well. I see it as a personal responsibility. I'll stick with my dumbass assessment.

I've been here long enough to know what goes on, but I, and thousands of others have been taken aback that the one week clampdown became a month, without any prior notification. It's not as though they didn't have enough time to come out with it. Bringing out a dicat 3 days into October is not a responsible way for officials to behave.

Anyway, you haven't responded to my comment that all the hotels took bookings for the FMP without informing the guests that there would be no FMP. That is something they will regret in the future.

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I'm sure if no Full Moon Parties Thailand will be ok for the month. The within in reason again, not music that will incite a party or appears in having fun. Also, really the beach party was over 5 and was unlawful under the Junta's rules as has to be registered for gathering. If there are a few hundred white boys and girls less not coming for the beach parties, then it won't matter much to the economy. From my eyes, the Chinese are everywhere and already ahead of the financial game. 

"Thailand" will survive. All the businesses on Phangan that cater to parties may not. At the least they will be putting up with extremely PO young people that have paid for the "minimum period" and can't enjoy themselves.

They will also be busily notifying everyone they know not to come and spend their money in Thailand.

However, Chiang Mai will be fine. They don't have fun up in C M anyway. Most boring town in Thailand.

I've no thoughts one way orother on full moon or half moon parties whether they get raided by soldiers or not.

Any beef I have (and it's raining) is with TVForum's posters who flippently use throw away remarks to justify their thoughts. To say all of Thailand think this, and all the people of Thailand believe that is nonsense. Edwina Currie (nice hairy bit of stuff) had to resign because she used the word 'most' instead of 'some'.

To the powers that be, especially those who demand conformity and obedience, see their role to promote outrage and to promote the idea that Thais are offended. It keeps up the pretence that if you don't mourn, don't get offended, don't feel outrage then you are not a proper Thai even.

Edited by owl sees all

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"Thailand" will survive. All the businesses on Phangan that cater to parties may not. At the least they will be putting up with extremely PO young people that have paid for the "minimum period" and can't enjoy themselves.

They will also be busily notifying everyone they know not to come and spend their money in Thailand.

However, Chiang Mai will be fine. They don't have fun up in C M anyway. Most boring town in Thailand.

People will still come to the beaches. BTW. Isn't it still rain and danger time at most of them? I was just in Hua Hin and there were jellyfish warnings, besides that brown muck water. Yes, a ways from Phagna but still should be same warnings I would bet. So these businesses have all their eggs in the basket that solemnly depend on back packers? Sorry to hear that. 

For Chiang Mai, I love it here. 18 yrs or so and content in the area. No, not boring, just different style of fun.  

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Guess you haven't seen the millions of Thai wearing black all days.. now why would that be???

No I, for one,  haven't.  Only a few scattered here and there apart from government offices where it's COMPULSORY.  When HM first died I wore nearly every day out of respect but saw that the vast majority were not so I stopped.

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

No I, for one,  haven't.  Only a few scattered here and there apart from government offices where it's COMPULSORY.  When HM first died I wore nearly every day out of respect but saw that the vast majority were not so I stopped.

Just back from Bangkok on Friday for 3 days. Now Black is everywhere. 

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Really? In the local village ALL the KBank staff have been weraing black since the king died. I think that is par for all the banks.

When royal figures or high ranking people die in the west nobody really cares for long as there is no respect there any more.

I know where I prefer to live.

Compulsory for banks, government offices etc.  No freedoms and no choice.  All designed to 'control'.

4 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

“inappropriate” ---- Yer it is...like the Monarchy or not, he was an icon in Thailand.

No Blame should go to the Tourist for this ........:coffee1:

What! No blame to the tourists? And what about their amount of drug use. They come to a country where it´s illegal. Lockém up in jail for a couple of years and deport their <deleted>.
If they want to use drugs that are illegal in Thailand, it´s just to plan their vacation somewhere it´s okey to do that.

You are right in one place, though! It´s highly inappropriate. They should have their <deleted> fried for that too.

Edited by Get Real

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

People will still come to the beaches. BTW. Isn't it still rain and danger time at most of them? I was just in Hua Hin and there were jellyfish warnings, besides that brown muck water. Yes, a ways from Phagna but still should be same warnings I would bet. So these businesses have all their eggs in the basket that solemnly depend on back packers? Sorry to hear that. 

For Chiang Mai, I love it here. 18 yrs or so and content in the area. No, not boring, just different style of fun.  

Most beaches in Thailand do not depend on parties to attract customers. Hat Rin does because they ruined it to cater for the FMP mob.  As for the rest of Phangan, I was shocked when I found out that even a cheap place on Haad Khom has minimum stays during the FMP. Seems that the entire island has been taken over by FMP madness.

That ****hole Hua Hin has nothing in common with Phangan beaches, except they all have sea water and sand.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

What! No blame to the tourists? And what about their amount of drug use. They come to a country where it´s illegal. Lockém up in jail for a couple of years and deport their <deleted>.
If they want to use drugs that are illegal in Thailand, it´s just to plan their vacation somewhere it´s okey to do that.

You are right in one place, though! It´s highly inappropriate. They should have their <deleted> fried for that too.

I can't see anything about your post that has any relevance to the topic, and I don't understand much of it either.

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Great photo.

This displays the 2 polar opposite extremes of human society.
An armed group of militia dictating their will on the masses and
a minority group totally detached from reality even when they are
not spaced out on chemicals. They should both be banned from the human party.

You see in this picture a minority group totally detached from reality?  Really?  I see a handful of middle class young people at a beach party. However, I do feel that I just read the words of someone totally detached from reality, but I don't think you should be banned from the human party, just that I should have ignored you, my bad.

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You dont really think they brought those 147 cylinders of Nitrous Oxide and all the other drugs with them on the plane do you....?..........:wub: