Bad Experience With Uber

pj123

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Glad that you think that travelling in an insured vehicle is really weird.  Personally, I think that anyone opting to travel in an illegal uninsured Uber when there is a legal, insured alternative is the really weird one.

Do you happen to know the maximum the insurance policy covers?

Edit: I found the following article which states a total of 30,000 baht coverage. To be fair that isn't going to get you anything in an international hospital if you have been in a car accident.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Just-how-safe-are-Bangkok-taxis-30279525.html

Edited by blackcab

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad that you think that travelling in an insured vehicle is really weird.  Personally, I think that anyone opting to travel in an illegal uninsured Uber when there is a legal, insured alternative is the really weird one.

If you think having an accident and in a Bangkok metered psycho taxi is going to give you all the hospital bill payment you are naive! Rely on my own personal insurance for that! The nonsense from Bangkok authorities concerning “public licensed taxis only “ is nothing more than kickback talk .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, shanesox said:

If you think having an accident and in a Bangkok metered psycho taxi is going to give you all the hospital bill payment you are naive! Rely on my own personal insurance for that! The nonsense from Bangkok authorities concerning “public licensed taxis only “ is nothing more than kickback talk .

Doesn't matter what you think about what I think, the fact remains that, when push comes to shove, Ubers are not insured for fare paying passengers.  If you think that they are then it's not me being naive.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Doesn't matter what you think about what I think, the fact remains that, when push comes to shove, Ubers are not insured for fare paying passengers.  If you think that they are then it's not me being naive.

What's puzzling to me is why is that such a big issue for you.  When you're riding in a bus or taxi or tuk tuk, you're actually relying on their alleged insurance?  Wow.

1 minute ago, CMBob said:

What's puzzling to me is why is that such a big issue for you.  When you're riding in a bus or taxi or tuk tuk, you're actually relying on their alleged insurance?  Wow.

It's not a 'big issue' for me; those that use or support Uber are the ones making a big issue out the service by continually claiming that the service is so much better than metered taxis.   I'm making a comment on an illegal service that so many taxi-bashers think is the best thing since sliced bread.

I do not rely on taxi insurance but any sane person given the choice would not choose to ride in an uninsured vehicle.

22 hours ago, shanesox said:

Well today really finished me with Uber in Bkk!Called an Uber X and accepted by a driver 10 mins away but then doesn’t arrive and I get a message from driver asking “ where I’m going” when I tell him he cancels the trip! What a pile of crap this is now! Uber needs to let drivers see where customer destination is and if the driver doesn’t want to go there then don’t accept!

Grabcar have more promotions and discounts!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The whole idea is that any driver accepts any trip as UBER is a customer based service. 

Thus, the driver has to accept a ride and then he will learn the destination. Without this we would see the system bastardized into one which drivers are 'Cherry-picking' their rides while other customers are completely ignored because the drivers 'don't like' the area... 

It is this lack of 'Cherry-picking' their rides which makes UBER such an attractive and viable option for many who've become fed up of the tiresome games of regular taxis. 

16 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:
On 10/9/2017 at 12:34 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its incredible isn't it ???... A service which works seamlessly in other countries can at times become corrupted by the lazy and entitled mindset of a few. It is a shame that we have to jump through these extra hoops and 'negotiate' for a standard service !!!...  That said, UBER & GrabCar are still far more reliable, safe and polite than regular taxi's... 

To be honest, the only frequent issue I have is a driver accepting the fare who is too far away. the App will suggest they are 7mins away, but knowing Bangkok they are closer to 30 mins away stuck in traffic. 

I've used UBER all over and only ever encountered one issue outside of Thailand in London with a  Nigerian driver who got clearly upset after thinking he was taking me to Gatwick Airport only to discover I'd written Gatwick Express and not Gatwick Airport !!!

Victoria Station was where you were going I guess...

Correct - hen selecting Victoria Station on the UBER App I then had to actually select which 'drop off point' and chose Gatwick Express drop off point.... the UBER driver clearly thought he was on to a winner when he read 'Gatwick'.... ultimately with baggage a Wife and a 2-1/2 year old (at the time) we were dropped off on the wrong side of the station... a little irritating but not a show-stopper.

This is just one example of where an expected service can let you down with poor or lazy operators - something which I'm sure UBER were happy to hear about. 

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's not a 'big issue' for me; those that use or support Uber are the ones making a big issue out the service by continually claiming that the service is so much better than metered taxis.   I'm making a comment on an illegal service that so many taxi-bashers think is the best thing since sliced bread.

I do not rely on taxi insurance but any sane person given the choice would not choose to ride in an uninsured vehicle.

Regarding insurance: I've been in an accident with a Taxi... No sign of insurance at all. I suspect the majority are without insurance, many are driving without a license although the incidence of this has reduced in the last few years. 

Ultimately, in Thailand we should all have our own medical insurance as we cannot rely on adequate enforcement to ensure these things are put in place for our protection as a customer. 

When you make the choice not to ride in an uninsured vehicle how do you check that the drivers of regular taxi's have insurance? for my experience is that they don't.

Today my Mother In Law needed to travel to a Government Office. My FIL was too busy to take her. 

My MIL accompanied by the Maid travelled in a Taxi who half way to the destination decided he wanted to go no further and kicked them out on the high way. 

I am furious, my MIL is nearly 70 years old and is in no way sharp enough to start arguing with a taxi or take a photo of the plates etc - there is simply no comeuppance for this terrible behavior from the taxi driver.

One of the excellent aspects of UBER is the accountability - Both Drivers and Passengers are registered resulting in a level of accountability and responsibility which would have prevented my MiL from being kicked out of a the car.

MiL being a typical Mother In Law  listened to neither my advice nor my Wife's instance that they use either UBER or GrabCar. 

Because “public insured vehicle “ is meaningless in Thailand Got it?

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Well, I simply disagree with you and you're wrong about the insurance anyway.  I'd note:

(1)  People use UBER here in CM because it's faster (they arrive a lot quicker than a when you telephone for a taxi) and cheaper (less than half of what a taxi charges for most rides although I'd note that it seems that a ride to the airport here is about the same as what a taxi charges). 

(2)  Secondly, you might want to check Uber's insurance policy.  Once a driver accepts a ride, the passenger(s) is/are covered (by Uber's policy) up to $1,000,000 (US dollars) per incident.  I suggest that's a bit better coverage than any taxi or tuk tuk you've ever used (presuming there's any insurance coverage for you in the first place).  

23 hours ago, blackcab said:

Do you happen to know the maximum the insurance policy covers?

Edit: I found the following article which states a total of 30,000 baht coverage. To be fair that isn't going to get you anything in an international hospital if you have been in a car accident.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Just-how-safe-are-Bangkok-taxis-30279525.html

I would assume a taxi also has the standard PorRorBor insurance, so the coverage would be as shown here: http://www.rvp.co.th/coverage_en.php

So it would be 30,000 first and then up to 80,000. But being sent to an international hospital with serious injuries this would probably not cover it.

I did't find any clause on their website that commercially used vehicles are excluded, so i assume every tuktuk, motorbike taxi, Uber, Grabcar, should have the same insurance (as long as they did pay for it)

Edited by jackdd

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The whole idea is that any driver accepts any trip as UBER is a customer based service. 

Thus, the driver has to accept a ride and then he will learn the destination. Without this we would see the system bastardized into one which drivers are 'Cherry-picking' their rides while other customers are completely ignored because the drivers 'don't like' the area... 

It is this lack of 'Cherry-picking' their rides which makes UBER such an attractive and viable option for many who've become fed up of the tiresome games of regular taxis. 

What "lack of cherry picking"?  The driver mentioned refused the trip!  Can't get more cherry picking than that.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Regarding insurance: I've been in an accident with a Taxi... No sign of insurance at all. I suspect the majority are without insurance, many are driving without a license although the incidence of this has reduced in the last few years. 

When you make the choice not to ride in an uninsured vehicle how do you check that the drivers of regular taxi's have insurance? for my experience is that they don't.

You suspect that they don't have insurance?  What do you base that on given that the majority of taxis are owned by huge co-operatives for whom not having insurance wouldn't make sense?  Your experience is that they aren't insured?   How does "your experience" show you that?

When I use a taxi I don't check, obviously, how could I?   The same goes for you, how could you check?  But you can guarantee that not one Uber is insured to carry fare paying passengers, they can't be, they are not a registered service. 

I'd put money on it that very few modern taxis are not insured, why would a driver rent an uninsured vehicle when he'd have to pay for any damage himself?  When it comes to the privately-owned, old beaten up taxis that, due to their age clearly shouldn't be on the road as taxis, it may be different but, then, I don't go anywhere near old taxis, there's thousands of brand new ones on Bangkok 's roads to choose from. 

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

When I use a taxi I don't check, obviously, how could I?   The same goes for you, how could you check?

You could just look at the tax sticker in his wind shield? If he has a valid one it means he did at least pay the compulsory insurance. Same for every Uber, Grabcar, Motorbike taxi and so on. If you don't see the tax sticker he didn't pay it, because you get the sticker only if you paid for the compulsory insurance. Takes just a few seconds to check this ;)

But as mentioned before, the 80000THB won't really help you if you are seriously injured, the 1mio dollars of Uber sound better.

Edited by jackdd

21 hours ago, shanesox said:

Because “public insured vehicle “ is meaningless in Thailand Got it?

"Got it"?  No, I haven't got anything that you would say, who do you think you are?

Did I mention "public insured vehicle?  No, I didn't, but you're right, your phrase is meaningless.  On the other hand, taxis are generally insured.

19 hours ago, CMBob said:

Well, I simply disagree with you and you're wrong about the insurance anyway.  I'd note:

(1)  People use UBER here in CM because it's faster (they arrive a lot quicker than a when you telephone for a taxi) and cheaper (less than half of what a taxi charges for most rides although I'd note that it seems that a ride to the airport here is about the same as what a taxi charges). 

(2)  Secondly, you might want to check Uber's insurance policy.  Once a driver accepts a ride, the passenger(s) is/are covered (by Uber's policy) up to $1,000,000 (US dollars) per incident.  I suggest that's a bit better coverage than any taxi or tuk tuk you've ever used (presuming there's any insurance coverage for you in the first place).  

Yes, I know why some people use Uber, I wasn't commenting on the reasons they cite.

You might want to check on whether Uber's illegal car sharing service in Thailand would be able to get insurance, have you seen Uber's policy that applies in Thailand?  I suggest a Bangkok taxi's cover is a lot better than no cover.

6 hours ago, Coconut007 said:

That would cover like.... a broken nail

They are insured for $1 million, read first before your moronic comments.

They may be in places where Uber's service is legal, that is not Thailand.  No insurance company will cover those engaged in an illegal operation.

And back off on the "moronic" bit.

"Got it"?  No, I haven't got anything that you would say, who do you think you are?

Did I mention "public insured vehicle?  No, I didn't, but you're right, your phrase is meaningless.  On the other hand, taxis are generally insured.

Taxis “generally insured” sums up what you think you know

I've read many stories about Uber.  People love to hate them.  But the story I've literally never read from anywhere in the world is Uber has an accident/no insurance/passenger had to pay themselves for injuries.  Never read that story/couldn't find that story with a short search on Google. That tells me it's not an issue.  

Edited by ricklev

On 10/9/2017 at 9:12 PM, ajarnmarc said:

Just what I needed...a different perspective. 

Thank you for your time, 

with this constructive response.

Now I have to figure out how to set up credit card payment, 

and get the driver his / her money for my errors.

I can now see and agree where all they were; on my side.

Again, thanks to this well communicated response; 

highlighting the features which are available, 

that would of helped me avoid this.

I'm clearly a novice user,

as Uber isn't available where I live. 

I can now see how I had gotten used to the prompt service,

and simply relied on it all going perfectly as it had in my past experiences, 

therefore limited my timeline for any issues which might of presented...

sarcasm aside, if you only allotted 15 minutes to get to the embassy before cutoff time you are a fool.