Is it Time to Wave Goodbye to the Honda

Stubby

It still looks pretty tidy to me.. replacement parts and a respray are cheap.. I'd say clean it up a bit and keep it a few more years.  We bought a 2nd hand Wave 100 with 15k on the clock 10 years ago.. it has 75k on it now and still goes well... my wife likes it because it is a small bike and she isn't very big.. suits her.. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the bike I bought last year from the estate of a deceased friend.  The mirrors and license plate were stolen while in police storage, and it was obviously that it had been used by the police.

All it needed was a new seat, new mirrors, an oil change.  Runs better than my newer Honda Wave 125.

Who cares what it looks like?  In fact, not looking so great is a good thing since it is less likely to be stolen.

19 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

It still looks pretty tidy to me.. replacement parts and a respray are cheap.. I'd say clean it up a bit and keep it a few more years.  We bought a 2nd hand Wave 100 with 15k on the clock 10 years ago.. it has 75k on it now and still goes well... my wife likes it because it is a small bike and she isn't very big.. suits her.. 

The photo he showed is 6 years old .

I have an old Wave and love it. 
It looks old. 
I don't worry about it being stolen. 
The muffler is a bit rusty. 
Runs like a champ. 
Why would I sell it? 

Only to buy something that someone might want to steal. 
No thanks. 

Of course, I drive a 21 year old pickup truck. 
Don't care what other's think. 
I keep both in tip top shape even though they are old. 

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

you forgot to mention 98 000 km ?

And you want half price after 10 years ?

And probably it is not the green bike in the picture?

Drive another 98 000 km and try selling it in 10 years for 12 000 bht ?

But i love reading cheap charly stories ,555

You seem to be confused. I was not the one who posted the green bike. 

Half price of a Honda wave 125 is 26000 not 14500.

I didn't say what I want for it. I said what I sold it for. The bike had full service history. 

I got a good price as there were 3 people interested in it. 

Read all post before you jump in with both feet if I was you. 

Edited by puchooay

My missus was stunned to learn that a Honda Wave she had owned 10 years and  had given to her family and had been borrowed by a rubber tapper and never returned , had been "found" a further 5 years later  in a Police car park 20 kms away ( from the family home).

She was told she had to come and collect it by a diligent young cop who had taken it upon himself to trace the owners of dozens of bikes in the yard.

She was in quite a mood when we got there after 4 hours driving from where we lived , and in even a worse mood when we saw it laying on it side , faded and battered and with grass growing thru it !  It had been 'gone' near 2 years  and she didnt want it and felt like she was being punished ( again ) for helping out her brothers..

The cheerful young cop was chuffed when I praised his work ethic  and insisted he help me wrench it from the clutches of nature  and said that it would probably even start. I didnt for one minute think it would .

But after he delivered a few twists of this and that and a screwdriver to the carb a few more kicks it actually did start - tho it blew a huge amount of smoke and shuddered like it was in its death knells...

The gf gave me a death stare when I tipped him 500 baht and he and I put it in my truck.

I ignored the tg after she  got in and cursed and said , "Now where we throw it ?" and  I stopped at a mechanics near her family home.

I put one boy to work cleaning it all and another to drop the oil and put in a new plug , oil and filters. One tyre still held air , and the other was renewed. IIRC the bin was 800 ...

At her house one brother was home and over the moon that it was back.

They all  drove it everywhere for another 3 years before he blew the motor...

2 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

I have an old Wave and love it. 
It looks old. 
I don't worry about it being stolen. 
The muffler is a bit rusty. 
Runs like a champ. 
Why would I sell it? 

Only to buy something that someone might want to steal. 
No thanks. 

Of course, I drive a 21 year old pickup truck. 
Don't care what other's think. 
I keep both in tip top shape even though they are old. 

As my old man used to say “a car is only a tool.”

Just upgraded the 100 cc Wave I bought from the in debt in laws.

WP_20170705_003.jpg

Spent about 2500 baht on it. New tyres , sprockets , chain and cosmetics. Resprayed the black parts myself with a spray can. Easy here as it is so hot the paint dries quickly.

However.....it is obviously not a speed machine. Can wring 95 kph out of it but was thinking of upgrading to the 125. What is the increase of speed I can expect ( for a 84 kilo falang )

Also be nice to convert it to manual transmission if I could find a cheap MSX engine.

Edited by Denim

35 minutes ago, Denim said:

Just upgraded the 100 cc Wave I bought from the in debt in laws.

WP_20170705_003.jpg

Spent about 2500 baht on it. New tyres , sprockets , chain and cosmetics. Resprayed the black parts myself with a spray can. Easy here as it is so hot the paint dries quickly.

However.....it is obviously not a speed machine. Can wring 95 kph out of it but was thinking of upgrading to the 125. What is the increase of speed I can expect ( for a 84 kilo falang )

Also be nice to convert it to manual transmission if I could find a cheap MSX engine.

Nice job of tidying it up!  95 ks!!  ..I feel like I'm flying at 60 on my 110.. 

I have a Honda super cub 80cc from 1973. Maintained perfect. Did about 160.000km. 

Next to it a suzuki 160 cc from 1985 also maintained well. With over 120.000 km

Do all engine work myself. Just replace when possible defect parts with new or reworked. Someti message import parts myself or out from Japan or Europe.

Both bikes have been repainted twice. But I enjoy the bikes out of nostalgia. Oh in my living room i have a Suzuki RG 500 cc four square racing bike on display. Planning to place a Yamaha TZ350 next to it. It is just what are your intentions. FOR SALE??? NEVER.

Sorry guys, but I like to buy new bikes. I usually keep mine for 3 years or 15k km, then give it to the FIL, BIL, aunt whatever and buy anew one. I know they are good for 100k km (I see my old bikes still running up in P-lok) but new is fun!

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I also thought about having it resprayed, but if the colour is changed, it means having to register the new colour on the green book and I can`t be bothered. 

I had to do that, Ccyberfarang, because the two back silver panels were sprayed green by the previous owner. It's a simple process and you just have to buy a 30 Baht receipt from some old guy at a shop near the test center. The hard bit is finding the shop if you don't ready Thai signs ;) Well done on the longevity of your bike. Another success story. They're really worth every penny.

Stubby

4 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Who cares what it looks like?  In fact, not looking so great is a good thing since it is less likely to be stolen.

Fair point, HarrySeaman, each to their own. But I don't want to ride around on a bike that looks like it's been rescued from a scrap heap any more than I want to walk around in rags ;)

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

For the life of me I will never understand why people black out tag numbers when posting online yet drive with them totally exposed the rest of the time.

It's done to upset people who get upset about such things ThaiWai ;)

Hi 

the following is a copy & paste of an email to a mate of mine in Udon Thani. 

They have had the Suzuki since new and it has always been serviced on time.  

I couldn't believe the response. Great add for Suzuki but Honda will be same if unabused.

Hey Jonny

We are having a bit of a competition here as to who has the most kms on their bike.
I mentioned Noi's scooter having 105 000kms and still going strong on my last trip there.
Is it still alive? and how many kms are on it now?
If possible can you send a photo of scooter and speedo reading cause I know these blokes are not going to believe me.
Cheers

Mark

Mate Nois  Suzuki has 154 000klms on the clock and is still going. Sorry don't know how to send photo you can teach me when you arrive.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Fair point, HarrySeaman, each to their own. But I don't want to ride around on a bike that looks like it's been rescued from a scrap heap any more than I want to walk around in rags ;)

Stubby

I understand , however I wouldn't refurbish the mechanics unless they show serious signs of wear and tear. Is it still about as fast and powerful as when it was new? Or compared to other Waves on the road? Is the gearbox reasonably smooth (no loud whining, rattling or such)? Then get an oil change done and there's a good chance you won't have mechanical problems in the next two years...

5 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

My missus was stunned to learn that a Honda Wave she had owned 10 years and  had given to her family and had been borrowed by a rubber tapper and never returned , had been "found" a further 5 years later  in a Police car park 20 kms away ( from the family home).

She was told she had to come and collect it by a diligent young cop who had taken it upon himself to trace the owners of dozens of bikes in the yard.

She was in quite a mood when we got there after 4 hours driving from where we lived , and in even a worse mood when we saw it laying on it side , faded and battered and with grass growing thru it !  It had been 'gone' near 2 years  and she didnt want it and felt like she was being punished ( again ) for helping out her brothers..

The cheerful young cop was chuffed when I praised his work ethic  and insisted he help me wrench it from the clutches of nature  and said that it would probably even start. I didnt for one minute think it would .

But after he delivered a few twists of this and that and a screwdriver to the carb a few more kicks it actually did start - tho it blew a huge amount of smoke and shuddered like it was in its death knells...

The gf gave me a death stare when I tipped him 500 baht and he and I put it in my truck.

I ignored the tg after she  got in and cursed and said , "Now where we throw it ?" and  I stopped at a mechanics near her family home.

I put one boy to work cleaning it all and another to drop the oil and put in a new plug , oil and filters. One tyre still held air , and the other was renewed. IIRC the bin was 800 ...

At her house one brother was home and over the moon that it was back.

They all  drove it everywhere for another 3 years before he blew the motor...

If it had been my viet lady, her brothers would never be able to get on it again, but guess you are pointing out that Honda Motorcycles are tough and last a lifetime, albeit, not brother in law proof.:whistling:

Dude.  I've had my Honda Dream since 2008.  The last time I took it to the an inspection station to get it checked for the yearly tax sticker, the folks there were looking at the bike, the green book, the bike - "Is this correct?  Manufactured in 2007?"  Yep!  This was my primary transport until I bought an old Toyota in 2011, and it was virtually always my city transportation.  Have 30K + KM on the clock.  Since I've had it I've changed the carb, put a set of Michelin tires on it which cut the frequency of flats to almost zero and they have tread to the outside of the tire for great cornering, and I have to replace a now dead battery - 10 years after buying the bike.  Change the oil regularly, when I get my next oil change (probably this week) I'll change the battery, and ask them to give the entire bike an inspection - but man - it just keeps running strong. 
Do to buying a new car, it does not get the love it use to, but I should ride it more - bikes and cars shouldn't sit.  Like a wonderful wife: Treat them with respect and ride the heck out of them. They'll love you forever. 
So - give it some love or sell and buy and new one?  Give her some love bro', she'll continue to loves ya back!  And for you folks with shabby looking bikes?  Dude's, ya gotta love them.  Wash them, a good coat of wax every couple of months, a little rubbing compound to smooth out the scrapes and nicks, and a little more wax.  Keep that chrome clean.  Heck - you're girl may mature, but she'll be one good looking babe as she puts on the years.  Yeah!  I love my Honda Dream!  She's a family member.  She's a keeper!

Edited by connda

5 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Nice job of tidying it up!  95 ks!!  ..I feel like I'm flying at 60 on my 110.. 

Thanks. Took a lot of work cleaning it up , especially both the wheel rims which were pretty rusted up. The wonders of WD40 and some wire wool never fail to impress me.

Dropped the rear sprocket a tooth and should have added one to the front sprocket at the same time to marginally improve top end speed. 

The tires are over sized too for better grip and safer cornering.

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

Thanks. Took a lot of work cleaning it up , especially both the wheel rims which were pretty rusted up. The wonders of WD40 and some wire wool never fail to impress me.

Dropped the rear sprocket a tooth and should have added one to the front sprocket at the same time to marginally improve top end speed. 

The tires are over sized too for better grip and safer cornering.

Nice work.. you have got me thinking.. the wife's old 100 still runs well and would look better with a bit of attention.. she likes it the way it is though.. cha cha...

Stubby.

I first bought a second hand Honda 125 dream in 2006. 14K Baht. It looked old, (maybe 10 years) but it didn't let me down once. I sold it 2 years later for 7.5K baht, buying a new Honda Dream 110. I had that for 4/5 years. It never let me down. I gave it to my Father-in-law. He is still using it. My new Honda Dream 110 got bent a bit on the back of my Toyota Vigo in a write off 3 years ago. We sold it to friends for 10KBaht. They still have it, (I paid for the minor repairs). I have since purchased a 125 Honda Wave. Fantastic machine, now 2 years old. Never let me down. Great fun to ride. Cheap also.

8 years years ago, I bought my wife a Honda click. We sold it 2 years ago, never let us down once. She now has a new Honda click. A little bit noisy - but never let us down.

Every Honda we've had have been maintained each year near the Wororot market in Chiang Mai, I have never paid more than 300 Baht maintenance, (except once for Brake liners). Honda bikes. in my opinion are the most rugged, easy to maintain, durable, cheap to run, comfortable town bikes available.

No, I don't work for Honda, but I wouldn't change the brand for any other producer. Stick with them, Pal. Best investments I've ever made!

54 minutes ago, connda said:

Do to buying a new car, it does not get the love it use to, but I should ride it more - bikes and cars shouldn't sit.  Like a wonderful wife: Treat them with respect and ride the heck out of them. They'll love you forever. 

Truer words never spoken.

KEEEP IT ! I have 2 Honda Dreams, about 15 years old and would never change them to a newer plastic scooter.

They run and run and fixing is easy and cheap. Missus complaints but if she prefers to walk... up to her.

59db6a4237675_Bikeorme.jpg.3d23d89f3d500c560534973c88e29808.jpg

6 hours ago, bazza73 said:

If it's not blowing smoke, I'd keep driving it until it does. With maintenance, of course.

It's a scooter, not a fashion statement.

I'd hate to see the state of your car if you have one LOL. I mean, washing it won't make it go faster or last longer :)  Actually, it might last longer. And a car, like a scooter, is not a fashion statement either - is it? I mean it's only transport unless you're a boy racer. So why bother papering the blooding thing LOL :)

You see, some folks like to look after things, whereas others neglect stuff. that's just the way it is ;)

Edited by Stubby