Likely successor to Cuba's Castro rejects U.S. demands for change

webfact

Likely successor to Cuba's Castro rejects U.S. demands for change

By Marc Frank

tag-reuters.jpg

Cuba's First Vice President Miguel Diaz-Canel shakes hands with Cuba's President Raul Castro during a ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the death of the revolutionary Ernesto Che Guevara in Santa Clara, Cuba, October 8, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

HAVANA (Reuters) - The man forecast to replace Cuban President Raul Castro early next year rejected U.S. demands that the Communist-run country change its political and economic system.

In a Sunday speech blasting U.S. pressure on the Venezuelan government and what he termed an effort to discredit the Cuban tourism industry, First Vice President Miguel Diaz-Canel said these and other recent events in the region proved “imperialism can never be trusted, not even a tiny bit, never.”

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Images of late Cuba's President Fidel Castro (R) and late Cuban revolutionary hero Ernesto "Che" Guevara are seen during a ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the death of Che Guevara, Santa Clara, Cuba, October 8, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

Diaz-Canel was quoting Ernesto Che Guevara at a ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the death of the revolutionary who had helped lead a Bolivian uprising modelled after Cuba’s.

“Cuba will not make concessions to its sovereignty and independence, nor negotiate its principles or accept the imposition of conditions,” Diaz-Canel said, apparently responding to U.S. President Donald Trump’s recent statement at the United Nations that sanctions would not be lifted until the Caribbean island restores democracy and capitalism.

“The changes needed in Cuba will solely be carried out by the Cuban people,” Diaz-Canel said.

Castro, 86, has announced he will step down as president in February. Experts expect Diaz-Canel, 57, to become the first head of state since the early 1960s without Castro as a last name.

There are no direct elections in Cuba for national office.

Trump said in June that he would once more tighten sanctions on Cuba and seek a better deal from the country than the gradual detente achieved by predecessor Barack Obama.

The Trump administration has drastically reduced staffing at its embassy in Cuba and ordered a reciprocal reduction of Cuban diplomats in Washington due to a series of alleged “health attacks” on U.S. personnel in Havana.

The United States has not blamed Cuba for the still unsolved incidents but holds it responsible for not protecting its personnel. The administration has also issued a travel warning stating U.S. citizens might be targeted.

“Some unnamed officials are propagating unusual nonsense without any evidence, with the perverse aim of discrediting the impeccable reputation of our country as a safe destination for foreign visitors, including from the United States,” Diaz-Canel said.

(Reporting by Marc Frank; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-09

I am going to side with Cuba on this one. Just because America doesn't like the political set up in Cuba, does not mean that it has the right to impose its will on a sovereign nation, to introduce something more in line with what it has at home. I state for the record, I do not agree with communism, but my point is that it is an issue for Cuba to resolve, without outside interference, threats or coercion.

Reinstate Travel Restrictions for Americans to Cuba until they decide to have a real democratic election. Also, tighten up the 65 year old embargo for goods to Cuba! That should awaken up the Cuban People! In addition close the US Embassy completely!

Edited by tomwct
Add more detail.

Just now, tomwct said:

Reinstate Travel Restrictions for Americans to Cuba until they decide to have a real democratic election. Also, tigten up the 65 year old embargo for goods to Cuba! That should awaken up the Cuban People!

What exactly gives America the right to get involved with and try to influence the Government and political set up of a foreign sovereign nation? Last time I checked Americans were outraged when Russia was deemed guilty of trying to do just that in the US elections. Amazing hypocrisy.

4 hours ago, tomwct said:

Reinstate Travel Restrictions for Americans to Cuba until they decide to have a real democratic election. Also, tighten up the 65 year old embargo for goods to Cuba! That should awaken up the Cuban People! In addition close the US Embassy completely!

What has a democratic election achieved in the US? A moron as a President?

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am going to side with Cuba on this one. Just because America doesn't like the political set up in Cuba, does not mean that it has the right to impose its will on a sovereign nation, to introduce something more in line with what it has at home. I state for the record, I do not agree with communism, but my point is that it is an issue for Cuba to resolve, without outside interference, threats or coercion.

Agreed.  But what gives the Cuban leaders the right to dictate to their people how they will be governed?  It's a massively poor country, due to the policies of the government.  The people deserve a voice.  And if given, I guarantee, they'll vote for a change. 

Time time for dictatorships is over.  As is the time for repressing your population while leaders live the high life.

6 hours ago, tomwct said:

The 65 year embargo only hurts the people you want to wake up. It has only helped keep the communist government in power.

7 hours ago, tomwct said:

Why not apply the same to other non-democratic countries? Saudi Arabia first please.

8 hours ago, tomwct said:

Well, as we stand opposed it will be for others to decide as my vote balances against your vote.

8 hours ago, tomwct said:

The same goes for Saudi Arabia! 

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You're out of date. Cuba has encouraged free enterprise & private business for years. But why would they wreck the best health & education system in the region (including the US) to keep the imperialists happy. Of course the US hates the Cuban system. It works better than theirs. 

Edited by jgarbo

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Agreed.  But what gives the Cuban leaders the right to dictate to their people how they will be governed?  It's a massively poor country, due to the policies of the government.  The people deserve a voice.  And if given, I guarantee, they'll vote for a change. 

Time time for dictatorships is over.  As is the time for repressing your population while leaders live the high life.

And ditto Thailand, I presume?

19 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

You're out of date. Cuba has encouraged free enterprise & private business for years. But why would they wreck the best health & education system in the region (including the US) to keep the imperialists happy. Of course the US hates the Cuban system. It works better than theirs. 

Last time I was there (early 2000's) free enterprise was extremely difficult.  Very good health and education system.  If you like living under a dictatorial government, then Cuba is fine.  Most Cubans don't.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Keeps the 'Menace to the entire planet' options open though, doesn't it? Always a need for one more...

Just now, baboon said:

Keeps the 'Menace to the entire planet' options open though, doesn't it? Always a need for one more...

That logic is the premise for the authoritarian regime in North Korea.  Doesn't work so well in the US.  Freedom of the media is a wonderful thing.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What exactly gives America the right to get involved with and try to influence the Government and political set up of a foreign sovereign nation? Last time I checked Americans were outraged when Russia was deemed guilty of trying to do just that in the US elections. Amazing hypocrisy.

It goes way back to the cuban missile crisis. Its about proximity.

Americans dont forgive and forget that easily.

Though japan seems to been forgiven. I assume because proximity and democracy.

9 hours ago, tomwct said:

Reinstate Travel Restrictions for Americans to Cuba until they decide to have a real democratic election.

Let's include communist Vietnam and China as well.

But that would present a consistent if irrational foreign policy.

We should just leave them alone, no embargoes, no assistance and just see what happens in the long term. The people of Cuba revolted once due to what they thought was oppression and were seduced by a murderous dictator, it can happen again hopefully with better results for the people.