Thailand to hold election in November 2018: prime minister

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the catch?  Electing dog catchers. MPs, local village heads?
Can't wait to see the constraints imposed on those wishing to get on the ballots, and the parties who are allowed to participate.  Watch which parties and organization are banned between now and November 2018.  And if no parties are banned and this is truly a free and democratic election,  I'll dance the hokey pokey at Thapae Gate on New Years 2018.
<Put your right foot in, take your right foot out....>

Edited by connda

I see this news just spreading throughout all main media around the world.
In most of the reports also some further info about the current status of legislation and legislative progress in Thailand is given.
Even though I know the memory of readers not directly involved in a certain matter is short, this may put a little bit more pressure on Prayuth to keep this date if he really wants to lift TH out of a 3rd world dictatorship status.

Edited by rebo

Let me try to balance this a little after looking at all the anti everything comments above

I have lived here for 28 years.

First, I commend  the army & the authorities that ended the looting & arson that would not have 

been needed if the police had done their duty as it would never have escalated to the level over 13 weeks that it did. (Hey Boss  these guys are erecting a tent in the middle of the road,,,,, It's OK just walk away)

The General started out (I believe) with good intentions & in reality has not done a bad job, 

Did not close the place down, kept industry running, made the exchange rate better ( possibly too much for exporters), tried to reorganize the police force (but far too strong for him)  the economy is travelling OK  & as a farang my life was little changed. I always have the opportunity to bail out anyway. 

I admit the stature has grown by our illustrious leader & some spending decisions made should have been left to an elected government BUT,,,,,,,,,,,

Who is next as a party or individual with the experience at this  time to run this country with all it's foibles

without returning to near anarchy again

There is no reason for the PM to worry that it might be too soon since he has plenty of time to insure everyone running for election will have been vetted by the Army and of course figure out some new faces to be appointed by the government (Army).  He will either run for PM or run things from behind the scenes anyway.  Nothing will change, there will be no freedom of the press to criticize for fear of being shut down.  He can show to the world elections were held but like Burma the Army will still control everything to keep the foundation of the pyramid in tact and pacified and silent. It is all kind of a joke, isn't it?

Edited by Trouble

He told the appointed president of the us he will have elections in 2018, then when he returned elections were announced for 2019. Now he has to sidestep that one.  Chances they will not have elections in 18, 19, or 2020 either. 

5 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Empty promises and lies. Elections have been postponed already twice by the junta. Stupid who believes in this.

Not "stupid" IMO, to believe this latest announcement, just optimistic that there will be a return to democracy of some sort, once the big-event is finally out-of-the-way.