Reports that Yingluck has asylum status in UK need to be verified: Don

snoop1130

Reports that Yingluck has asylum status in UK need to be verified: Don

By The Nation

a97265d71443f12e31c50339c798b4a6.jpeg

Don.

Foreign Affairs Minister Don Pramudwinai on Tuesday said his ministry would check on the veracity of news reports that former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra had gained asylum status in the United Kingdom.

Don asked people not to jump the gun and pressure the ministry to take action. 

He personally preferred to avoid using the word “asylum” in this case, as he was not certain about reports that the fugitive ex-PM had been granted such status, he added.

The minister said officials at the ministry were working on the revocation of Yingluck’s passport, but had not yet reported back to him about the progress made.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30328965

So if she has been granted asylum which at this time is just speculation, what are they going to do, (1)invade the UK with the new subs?  (2)Tell all Brits to leave. (3) Do nothing as the UK would kick our ass if we tried.

There is not a thing they could do is there, Maybe call trump and ask him to help, but again we know the answer there.

So time to shut up and move on.

If Yingluck is granted asylum it is between her and the authorities where she is at….. No "official notification" to where she is from, so the authorities there might as well shut up and move on.

Oh dear that puts the government in a bit of a rather odd position.

On one hand they are well rid of her. But on the other she is now untouchable and legitimate as assylum is only granted to those who have been persecuted. Which supports her case that the whole trial was politically motivated and detracts from the governmets claim of justice being served.

Expect the government to complain...just not too loudly.

5 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Oh dear that puts the government in a bit of a rather odd position.

On one hand they are well rid of her. But on the other she is now untouchable and legitimate as assylum is only granted to those who have been persecuted. Which supports her case that the whole trial was politically motivated and detracts from the governmets claim of justice being served.

Expect the government to complain...just not too loudly.

Good point. I said ages ago that no way could the junta come out of this looking good. One one hand there was slinging her in clink and creating a martyr, on the other hand, (not) allowing her to 'escape'. Now all they have done if asylum is granted is create a martyr abroad instead of in jail.

39 minutes ago, lungbing said:

She may have applied for asylum, but I doubt if it has been accepted or denied this quickly.

Under normal circumstances I would agree. But the wheels of beaurocracy turn much faster when one is minted, no matter which country we are talking about...

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

Now all they have done if asylum is granted is create a martyr

mar·tyr
ˈmärdər/
noun
noun: martyr; plural noun: martyrs
  1. 1.
    a person who is killed because of their religious or other beliefs.

14 minutes ago, baboon said:

Political martyr, then. Sigh...

Still not accurate enough.

Yingluck was allowed/forced to leave because she knew the alternative if she stayed. The junta wanted rid of her and has gone to great lengths to pretend that she fled, yet anyone with a brain can see through the BS..

Yingluck is "playing the martyr", understandably so, and will probably garner sympathy and be allowed to stay in the U.K.

Gandhi and Benazir Bhutto were political martyrs as was M.L.King

If Yingluck was assassinated in London, then she'd enter the ranks of true martyrs.IMO.

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

Still not accurate enough.

Yingluck was allowed/forced to leave because she knew the alternative if she stayed. The junta wanted rid of her and has gone to great lengths to pretend that she fled, yet anyone with a brain can see through the BS..

Yingluck is "playing the martyr", understandably so, and will probably garner sympathy and be allowed to stay in the U.K.

Gandhi and Benazir Bhutto were political martyrs as was M.L.King

If Yingluck was assassinated in London, then she'd enter the ranks of true martyrs.IMO.

Now you're a good bloke and a respected poster, but when it comes to arguing terms at this time in the evening or playing poker and knocking one out, I am afraid you have to come a poor second...:biggrin::partytime2:

1 hour ago, lungbing said:

She may have applied for asylum, but I doubt if it has been accepted or denied this quickly.

It is quick, but not impossibly so. There will have been no problem in establishing her identity, and the Home Office will have had access to the British Embassy reports, both on the specifics of her "trial" and the background of the current political situation.

What is more (although this is speculation), the reports of requests to Interpol for her arrest with a view to her extradition might have led them to fastrack the decision, to avoid a long drawn out and embarrassing court process.

So quick, but not implausibly so.

One only has to consider facts. Forget about left or right. She was convicted of what crime? no modern country persecutes ex-PM's for decisions made an office UNLESS corrupt yet I see none here. Even putting that aside, dear posters, she was convicted by a Military JUNTA.

Of course she will get political asylum because that is what it IS. And I hope and pray no poster will follow this with "but the courts are independent" pretty please???  good evening to all.

1 hour ago, lungbing said:

Maybe Boris fast tracked it, really Thailand,well the present Government will be very pleased, 

if she has,as they dont want her coming back here causing trouble.Oak will be next on the list.

regards Worgeordie

Political martyr, then. Sigh...

martyr

image: http://cf.ydcdn.net/1.0.1.81/images/dictionaries/websters5.jpg

[http://cf]

a person who assumes an attitude of self-sacrifice or suffering in order to arouse feelings of pity, guilt, etc. in others

Origin of martyr

Middle English martir from Old English from Ecclesiastical Late Latin from Classical Greek martyr, martys, a witness (LGr(Ec), martyr) from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)mer-, to remember, care from source Classical Latin memor, mindful, Sanskrit smárati, (he) remembers

to put to death or torture for adherence to a beliefto torture; make suffer greatly; persecute

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/martyr#Q9GkDP9PGPHczpVy.99

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, vogie said:

She will soon want to return to Thailand when she starts her 3 monthly reporting in the UK.

Is this a new law in the UK then, reporting every 3 months?

No mate in a civilise country they do not have laws like that now do they.

14 hours ago, lungbing said:

Unless she applied some time before, knowing she would have to do a runner.
None of it strikes me as an impulse action. It would seem that she had plenty of time to hide significant assets and plan her escape, and possibly put an asylum request in motion months ago.
Just my idle musings among the many. :smile:

20 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

None of it strikes me as an impulse action. It would seem that she had plenty of time to hide significant assets and plan her escape, and possibly put an asylum request in motion months ago.

I believe that you have to have left your country and arrived in the UK before you can apply for asylum.

Mind you, I would imagine that her application would be dealt with rather more quickly than some undocumented chap from Sub Saharan Africa who arrives at Dover perched on the rear bumper of a TIR lorry...

Edited by JAG

33 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

14 minutes ago, JAG said:

I believe that you have to have left your country and arrived in the UK before you can apply for asylum.

Mind you, I would imagine that her application would be dealt with rather more quickly than some undocumented chap from Sub Saharan Africa who arrives at Dover perched on the rear bumper of a TIR lorry...

The right to seek asylum is given in the 1949 UDHR

The having left your own country is a definition of a refugee from the 1951 convention

It would be my speculation that an alleged breach of the International Convenant on Civil and Political Rights will be the basis for such asylum request

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

Right you are. I did not think of that.

If she is granted asylum in UK then I hope Thailand respond with something!

UK is to blame about much that is wrong in this region,  the law that foreigners can't own land in Thailand is there basically because of UK and France were "stealing" parts of what was then Siam. That is just one shining example on how UK <deleted> the world in the past... the same way that US keeps <deleted> the world today!

3 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

If she is granted asylum in UK then I hope Thailand respond with something!

UK is to blame about much that is wrong in this region,  the law that foreigners can't own land in Thailand is there basically because of UK and France were "stealing" parts of what was then Siam. That is just one shining example on how UK <deleted> the world in the past... the same way that US keeps <deleted> the world today!

And you are from...?