Theresa May refuses to say if she would vote for Brexit in fresh poll

webfact

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I notice you fail to mention that the clearest correlation was between being pro Brexit and having low tertiary educational achievement. What's a red neck?

A 'redneck' (one word) is an American slang which has been around for at least 70 years.  It refers to a group of Americans who are generally ill-informed on world affairs, love guns, easily offended, drink lots of beer, and spout truisms like, "my country, right or wrong" or "better dead than red" (reference to the Commie scare of the 50's and 60's).  

It so happens, US rednecks were the most easily influenced by Russian blanketing of social media with fake stories about HRC and fake stories designed to sow discord in the US (between b&w, against jews, brown people, etc.)  The Russkies found fertile ground among easily-duped rednecks, and it helped sway the election in Trump's favor.

I was wondering herein whether a similar dynamic happened in the UK to sway segments of British toward voting for Brexit.  Perhaps I'm totally off-base.  I welcome responses.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

A 'redneck' (one word) is an American slang which has been around for at least 70 years.  It refers to a group of Americans who are generally ill-informed on world affairs, love guns, easily offended, drink lots of beer, and spout truisms like, "my country, right or wrong" or "better dead than red" (reference to the Commie scare of the 50's and 60's).  

It so happens, US rednecks were the most easily influenced by Russian blanketing of social media with fake stories about HRC and fake stories designed to sow discord in the US (between b&w, against jews, brown people, etc.)  The Russkies found fertile ground among easily-duped rednecks, and it helped sway the election in Trump's favor.

I was wondering herein whether a similar dynamic happened in the UK to sway segments of British toward voting for Brexit.  Perhaps I'm totally off-base.  I welcome responses.

You are spot on!

What I'm going to state now is my opinion, OK!

The truth that must never be uttered is that most smart people realise that Brexit is utter nonsense! That includes most MPs by far. But, the other dynamic is the lust for power. So, even though they know it's idiotic, they want to go with the "democratic" decision of the majority if they consider they're most likely to keep their seat. So much for representative democracy! So, we now witness the amusing contortions on both Con and Lab benches as they try to convince the public that they're doing what's in the best interests of all while at the same time believing the opposite! Only Vince Cable shows any honour amongst the "leaders".

It's like a referendum agreeing that the moon is made of cheese! The politicians are all making plans and spending huge amounts of money and intellectual effort to go and mine the cheese! They know it's nonsense but how to explain it to the electorate and keep their seat ?

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

I know this may sound hypocritical but anyone descent may just not want the conditions applied to the job.

I agree.  If you have a moral compass then politics really isn't for you.  They seem to be compared to second hand car dealers and double glazing salesmen these days and even then they are at the bottom of the list.

13 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The truth that must never be uttered is that most smart people realise that Brexit is utter nonsense!

Well I think there was an argument for Brexit if it meant the collapse of the EU and consequently it's re-birth for the 21st century.  It was a risk too far for me though and I voted remain.  As it turns out the EU will not collapse and we are in danger of having egg on our faces.

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Ms May is showing maturity by pursuing the implementing of the wishes of a majority of the people she governs, rather than pushing her own personal agenda.

Interesting that you make a comparison to HRC and the US election which took place a few months after the Brexit vote.  Was there Russian interference with the Brexit campaign?  How do you know for sure, either way?   The Russians are pissed at Europeans, and a weakened EU (without UK) is preferable for the Russians.   They're v. good at influencing mindsets, usually by using social media, as proved by the US imbroglio.  They're so good at it, that the Brits may not know whether it happened.   

Generally, city dwellers in UK voted to stay, whereas rural folks generally voted to leave.  City dwellers are generally better apprised of current events than country folks.  It's similar to the equation of the US election: Voters outside big cities were more easily manipulated by Russian fake news, than city folks.   Rednecks were very easily manipulated.  So much so, that they still won't admit it happened.   Were most Brexit voters leaning to the redneck (less informed) end of the political spectrum?  If so, it shouldn't surprise anyone.

We all know about Scotland, Northern Ireland (both of which have huge rural populations, by the way) and Greater London. But you couldn't be more wrong about the rest of the UK:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/amp/

But I understand why you hold your mistaken opinion: this kind of nonsense continues to be rammed down peoples' throats by the msm (and voluminous internet trolls).

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

We all know about Scotland, Northern Ireland (both of which have huge rural populations, by the way) and Greater London. But you couldn't be more wrong about the rest of the UK:

Scotland and Northern Ireland are very reliant on exports and trade in the EU so they would certainly have a vested interest in voting remain.  As for greater London I am not sure why you threw that in there?

16 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/amp/

But I understand why you hold your mistaken opinion: this kind of nonsense continues to be rammed down peoples' throats by the msm (and voluminous internet trolls).

I am not voluminous! How very dare you!

25 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The Glasgow conurbation has a population of about 2.4M, about 42% of the population of Scotland.

Edinburgh conurbation has about 0.8M and Belfast the same. 

Whereas Scotland has quite a small population, much is urbanised and the countryside is often sparse. 

What was the point again?

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I notice you fail to mention that the clearest correlation was between being pro Brexit and having low tertiary educational achievement. What's a red neck?

BA's in dress making to not necessarily indicate a high IQ. Come on, Grouse, we've been all through this one too!   

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

BA's in dress making to not necessarily indicate a high IQ. Come on, Grouse, we've been all through this one too!   

Don't tell that to SheungWan for goodness sake; we'll never hear the end of it 

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Scotland and Northern Ireland are very reliant on exports and trade in the EU so they would certainly have a vested interest in voting remain.  As for greater London I am not sure why you threw that in there?

Because it was the only significant area population-wise, other than Scotland and Northern Ireland (which both, as you note, had obvious vested interests in remaining), that voted remain. I was just debunking Boomer's theory that the vote was partly country bumpkins versus savvy city dwellers. The intelligent/thick argument has been done (and debunked) ad nauseum, of course, though most remainers cling to it like some sort of comfort blanket.

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

I am sure more people than just educated idiots voted to remain, just as some of those educated idiots would have voted to leave.  But of course a bigoted view and slating peoples education is always the easiest way to go....especially when you are sat at the other end of a keyboard.  I would have thought a so called educated man would know better?  Obviously not.

7 hours ago, Caps said:

I am sure more people than just educated idiots voted to remain, just as some of those educated idiots would have voted to leave.  But of course a bigoted view and slating peoples education is always the easiest way to go....especially when you are sat at the other end of a keyboard.  I would have thought a so called educated man would know better?  Obviously not.

Just quoting a well established statistic? Does it apply to you? Or are you an outlier? I'm old; "statistically"I should have voted leave; I'm an outlier. Why the sensitivity? Correlation is not necessarily causation.

Just now, Grouse said:

Just quoting a well established statistic? Does it apply to you? Or are you an outlier? I'm old; "statistically"I should have voted leave; I'm an outlier. Why the sensitivity? Correlation is not necessarily causation.

No sensitivity, just get sick to the teeth of people making comments hiding behind a keyboard, as I said, as a proclaimed educated man you should know better, wow such big words for this time in a morning,  we are clever  

1 minute ago, Caps said:

No sensitivity, just get sick to the teeth of people making comments hiding behind a keyboard, as I said, as a proclaimed educated man you should know better, wow such big words for this time in a morning,  we are clever  

Did you have a bad night? ?

It would seem that some posters are talking tripe. If politicians are changing their mind, I already know many that voted to remain have changed their position and would vote leave. The EU with its bulling tactics and its continued federalization, are becoming less popular than before. They are being seem for what they are. I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing a nationwide campaign to buy British products exclusively, if the EU keeps it up. Project fear has well and truly been debunked.

Liz Truss became the second Remain-backing member of the Cabinet to say she would vote for Brexit in a referendum re-run but Damian Green, the effective deputy prime minister, stood by his judgment of last June.

Jeremy Hunt said this month that the EU’s “disappointing” and “arrogant” behaviour since the referendum had turned him against the bloc. The Remain-supporting health secretary, who briefly ran for the party leadership last year promising a second Brexit vote, said he had been wrong to worry about the short-term impact on the British economy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-mps-remain-ministers-split-on-how-they-would-vote-now-liz-truss-damian-green-jeremy-hunt-theresa-may-7rm997wc8

49 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It would seem that some posters are talking tripe. If politicians are changing their mind, I already know many that voted to remain have changed their position and would vote leave. The EU with its bulling tactics and its continued federalization, are becoming less popular than before. They are being seem for what they are. I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing a nationwide campaign to buy British products exclusively, if the EU keeps it up. Project fear has well and truly been debunked.

If there were a campaign to buy British products,and in doing so,support the U.K. economy.

Unfortunately SOME remoaners, especially those here on T.V would Refuse to purchase British products. 

EE49A7BC-C86F-4363-A853-7D0F82B7E8F8.jpeg

16 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Well I think there was an argument for Brexit if it meant the collapse of the EU and consequently it's re-birth for the 21st century.  It was a risk too far for me though and I voted remain.  As it turns out the EU will not collapse and we are in danger of having egg on our faces.

Personally, I seriously disliked some things about the EU, whilst liking other aspects - and eventually decided not to vote for reasons that were mainly based on the 'beliefs' that  1) Brit. politicians are even less trustworthy than EU politicians...... and 2) as an 'expat' (although still paying UK tax), the decision should be left to those living in the UK.

But either way, I didn't want the EU to "collapse" - just to recognise the need for serious reform.  Sadly, the EU is making it ever clearer that they have no intention of changing anything - unless it gives those at the 'top' even more power.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Liz Truss became the second Remain-backing member of the Cabinet to say she would vote for Brexit in a referendum re-run but Damian Green, the effective deputy prime minister, stood by his judgment of last June.

Jeremy Hunt said this month that the EU’s “disappointing” and “arrogant” behaviour since the referendum had turned him against the bloc. The Remain-supporting health secretary, who briefly ran for the party leadership last year promising a second Brexit vote, said he had been wrong to worry about the short-term impact on the British economy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-mps-remain-ministers-split-on-how-they-would-vote-now-liz-truss-damian-green-jeremy-hunt-theresa-may-7rm997wc8

"I already know many that voted to remain have changed their position and would vote leave. The EU with its bulling tactics and its continued federalization, are becoming less popular than before."

This doesn't suprise me at all.  Bullying tactics are generally abhorred - especially by those at the receiving end!

As far as I can make out, the EU has no interest in genuinely negotiating to reach a mutually acceptable deal - and the prolonged uncertainty is affecting the UK more than the EU.  Consequently, it's probably time for the UK to say 'enough is enough - we're leaving at the end of the 2 year 'notice' period' - which gives businesses time to make their plans for this deadline and/or (preferably) the EU to immediately give up on dictating, and start negotiating.

(I've given up on the hope that they will reform :sad:).

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If there were a campaign to buy British products,and in doing so,support the U.K. economy.

Unfortunately SOME remoaners, especially those here on T.V would Refuse to purchase British products. 

According to reports out of London. Two members of the cabinet, Liz Truss, Justice secretary and Jeremy Hunt the Health secretary, who both supported remain campaign in the referendum, have now acknowledged that they were wrong. They will now support Brexit. Any chance of the remoaners here on T.V following there lead?

According to reports out of London. Two members of the cabinet, Liz Truss, Justice secretary and Jeremy Hunt the Health secretary, who both supported remain campaign in the referendum, have now acknowledged that they were wrong. They will now support Brexit. Any chance of the remoaners here on T.V following there lead?

Not me, that's for sure. The disaster looming is looking even worse than predicted. I have no doubt there are more Brexiters changing their minds than Remainers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

They're politicians - and therefore you can pretty much guarantee they're looking out for their own electoral interests.

But I haven't checked, so perhaps I'm wrong.

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not me, that's for sure. The disaster looming is looking even worse than predicted. I have no doubt there are more Brexiters changing their minds than Remainers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We're all entitled to our own opinions - as long as we realise that they are just personal opinions.

"I already know many that voted to remain have changed their position and would vote leave. The EU with its bulling tactics and its continued federalization, are becoming less popular than before."

This doesn't suprise me at all.  Bullying tactics are generally abhorred - especially by those at the receiving end!

As far as I can make out, the EU has no interest in genuinely negotiating to reach a mutually acceptable deal - and the prolonged uncertainty is affecting the UK more than the EU.  Consequently, it's probably time for the UK to say 'enough is enough - we're leaving at the end of the 2 year 'notice' period' - which gives businesses time to make their plans for this deadline and/or (preferably) the EU to immediately give up on dictating, and start negotiating.

(I've given up on the hope that they will reform :sad:).

DD good post, British politicians can be voted out, EU on the other hand, the EU are only interested in getting the best deal for ‘itself’ and it’s own self interested.

Despite what many believe, the EU is far from harmonious and United, ask the V4 Visegrád Group, ask Italian & Greece their views on the EU, it’s simply tolerated.

I too don’t want the EU to collapse, the U.K. business ties will continue I just want no political ties or having Westminster over-ruled, HoP is accountable to British electorate. And I couldn’t be prouder of the U.K. to have the spine to do what’s right, controversial or otherwise we managed before the 1993 ideology project and will continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The UK is part of the EU.

If it couldn't get a good deal for itself as part of the EU it's going to get a much worse one now outside of it.

Always moaning and whining ...Always the excuses and the barely concealed contempt for other countries, meanwhile happy to be rules by a pack of lying scumbag public school boys playing musical chairs.

Well prepare for more moaning and whining when the UK is out of the EU and more cut backs hit hard and investments and jobs move overseas.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 10/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, nontabury said:

Well, since we all know that politicians are always guided by their conscience and never by the prospect of personal advantage, your point is clearly unopposable.

8 hours ago, taipeir said:

The UK is part of the EU.

If it couldn't get a good deal for itself as part of the EU it's going to get a much worse one now outside of it.

Always moaning and whining ...Always the excuses and the barely concealed contempt for other countries, meanwhile happy to be rules by a pack of lying scumbag public school boys playing musical chairs.

Well prepare for more moaning and whining when the UK is out of the EU and more cut backs hit hard and investments and jobs move overseas.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Contempt for other countries,I think not. We will still be Europeans , it’s the corrupt and dictatorial E.U. We are happily departing.

8BB7C560-B1FD-47DF-9C74-79DEEF69CCB3.jpeg