was quoted as saying that his government was "preparing to receive"
people fleeing Myanmar and send them back "when they are ready."

He was referring to the poor Rohingyas the world has turned a blind

eye to. 

My question was answered at the bottom of the report and I quote:
"Thailand does not recognise the status of any refugees or recognise
the Rohingya as legitimate migrant workers."

My question is if I am recognized as a legitimate migrant worker, can
I apply for a refugee status? And how can I do that?

There are so many people in the southern states of America <spam deleted> that I wonder
if it is possible for somebody from the USA to come to Thailand and 
work as an economic refugee because he could not get a job 
back home.

Edited by Maestro
deleted part of the post that was spam

The simple answer is no.  Thailand has never signed up to any of the United Nations charters on refugees.

Anyone coming to Thailand and claiming asylum or refugee status will be considered to have entered Thailand illegally, or as a visa over stayer and, therefore, very quickly find themselves in the immigration detention centre in Bangkok.  They will stay there until a third country will accept them which can be for a very long time.

Maybe another point that you will need to raise with the Prime Minister and the Minister of Foreign Affairs when you have your meeting with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 007 RED said:

Thailand has never signed up to any of the United Nations charters on refugees.

Anyone coming to Thailand and claiming asylum or refugee status will be considered to have entered Thailand illegally, or as a visa over stayer and, therefore, very quickly find themselves in the immigration detention centre in Bangkok.  They will stay there until a third country will accept them which can be for a very long time.

Maybe another point that you will need to raise with the Prime Minister and the Minister of Foreign Affairs when you have your meeting with them. 

Why hasn't Thailand signed the United Nations charter on refugees. It could be for something as silly as that a Thai translation was not available.

So you are saying, arent you, that there have been people in the past who have come and claimed asylum or refugee status, refused and taken away to the immigration detention centre. 

Thanks, 007 Red, I cant thank you enough, I will go with the best Thai translation possible. 

8 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

....... I wonder
if it is possible for somebody from the USA to come to Thailand and 
work as an economic refugee because he could not get a job 
back home.

Not a cat in hells chance.  If you want to come to Thailand for work you will need the appropriate visa and work permit.  Without these, if you are caught working you will end up fined and or put in prison and then deported.

1 minute ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Why hasn't Thailand signed the United Nations charter on refugees. It could be for something as silly as that a Thai translation was not available.

So you are saying, arent you, that there have been people in the past who have come and claimed asylum or refugee status, refused and taken away to the immigration detention centre. 

Thanks, 007 Red, I cant thank you enough, I will go with the best Thai translation possible. 

No idea why they haven't signed up to any of the UN charters, but I'm sure that it has nothing to do with translation... more likely the Thai Governemnt just don't want a big influx of refugees coming into Thailand from neighbouring countries.

IDC in Bangkok is overflowing with people who are claiming asylum or refugee status.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 007 RED said:

IDC in Bangkok is overflowing with people who are claiming asylum or refugee status.

You are a god, man! Thank you. Are you sure about that? Can you tell me how to go to the IDC in Bangkok so that I can make a list of people who are claiming that status? 

You are saying that their claims have been rejected only because Thailand has not signed the UN charter. Which means that Thailand does recognise it but hasn't signed it yet. I certainly hope so.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Thailand does not recognise the status of any refugees or recognise
the Rohingya as legitimate migrant workers.

The only migrant workers recognized are those that are citizens of Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam under a MOU with those countries.

• Like 1

The IDC in Bangkok is located at 507 Soi Suan Phlu, South Sathon Road.  It is about 15 minutes walk from the BTS at Sala Dang.

You will only be allowed to go into the detention centre if you are visiting a named inmate.  Immigration will not provide you with a list of detainees.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

The simple answer is no.  Thailand has never signed up to any of the United Nations charters on refugees.

Anyone?

Find themselves in the IDC?

I would suggest you do a quick Google search on the subject of refugees in Thailand