Red Stamp from Penang. What are alternative?

My US boyfriend get the "Red Stamp" from Penang last month for his 3rd TV.
We surprised that the red stamp was issued by them too soon, didn't expected to get it from just 2 times back to back TVs from Penang (the 1st one is from Vientien). This clearly shows that Penang consulate counts total number of TVs he has in PP for consideration. They doesn't count only the number of TVs issued by them.
They also wrote a note in hand writing on his visa - "6th TR".  
I wondered what is the "6th TR" mean so I looked up all his PP and found that it matches with the number of his Thailand entry record since he come here in Nov, 2016 even after he went back to US for 7 months. If he use the visa, it is his 6th entry to Thailand. So I assume it is the meaning.

He passed through the IO at DMK airport without any question anyway. (Always have 20K THB in pocket and flight out of Thailand booking.)

His Thailand entry records since his first entry in Nov, 2016 (with the 7 months away) are as following.
- 4 x Visa Exemptions by Air
- 1 x Visa Exemption by Land (Poipet Border in Jan, 2017)
- 3 x TVS with the red stamp (1 from Vientien + 2 from Penang) 
- 2 blank pages left in PP

He wants to stay here a bit longer but since he got the red stamp, it makes thing more difficult. 

We are interested in border run option based on these following reasons;
- He has only 1 Visa exemption by land in 2017 so he still has another chance.
- We don't think he can get a TV from Vientien, or he could? 
- We notice if he fly in, this next entry is going to be his 6 Visa exemptions which alerts the IO at the airport. 

We base in BKK. Please advice the available options to do border run. Are there any others alternatives?
Which are friendly borders for the Visa Exemption in this case?
Any advice?

Big thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

We base in BKK. Please advice the available options to do border run. Are there any others alternatives?
Which are friendly borders for the Visa Exemption in this case?
Any advice?

The Ban Laem crossing is a good to one to use from Bangkok.

Agree with UJ on Ban Laem.  And since the VisaExempts are per calendar-year, he could use his last one just before year-end, and have a fresh quota available for 2018.

The counting old tourist visas in ones passport, including those before a long-break out of Thailand, and getting red-stamped for the total-count also happened to me - but at Vientiane (in my previous passport).

He will almost surely be denied a Tourist Visa from Vientiane with that red-stamp in his passport - as I was denied there with a red-stamp from Phnom Penh (in my current passport). 

I was able to get a Tourist Visa from Savanakhet without issue to spite that red-stamp from Phnom Penh (providing all the documents Savanakhet requires).  That is not a guarantee, though, and if I had it to do again, I would have obtained a new passport from my consulate after receiving a red-stamp, before attempting another Thai Tourist Visa anywhere.

Edited by JackThompson

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Ban Laem crossing is a good to one to use from Bangkok.

May I ask how it's work?

- Is it a border to Myanmar? So he will lose 1 of his 2 pages of PP left?

- Is it just out/in or requires at least one night stay? 

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Agree with UJ on Ban Laem.  And since the VisaExempts are per calendar-year, he could use his last one just before year-end, and have a fresh quota available for 2018.

The counting old tourist visas in ones passport, including those before a long-break out of Thailand, and getting red-stamped for the total-count also happened to me - but at Vientiane (in my previous passport).

He will almost surely be denied a Tourist Visa from Vientiane with that red-stamp in his passport - as I was denied there with a red-stamp from Phnom Penh (in my current passport). 

I was able to get a Tourist Visa from Savanakhet without issue to spite that red-stamp from Phnom Penh (providing all the documents Savanakhet requires).  That is not a guarantee, though, and if I had it to do again, I would have obtained a new passport from my consulate after receiving a red-stamp, before attempting another Thai Tourist Visa anywhere.

Thanks for your reply.

I think he should get a new passport during his next stay before trying to get new TV as you mentioned.

What about an idea of getting VisaExempt at the Friendship Bridge or Savanakhet? Are there good ones too? Can we just out/in in the same day?

Any other borders available? 

Edited by Paduppa

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

What is the general situation about getting a red stamp after getting numerous visas ?

Does it mean that you may get extra questions upon entry or is it a warning that you will not get another TV ?

10 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

Thanks for your reply.

I think he should get a new passport during his next stay before trying to get new TV as you mentioned.

What about an idea of getting VisaExempt at the Friendship Bridge or Savanakhet? Are there good ones too? Can we just out/in in the same day?

Any other borders available? 

Ban Laem is a crossing to Cambodia (south of Poipet/Aranya).  Any of those would work, but don't try the Poipet/Aranya crossing - not friendly.  I have not heard of trouble with same-day returns, recently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What is the general situation about getting a red stamp after getting numerous visas ?

Does it mean that you may get extra questions upon entry or is it a warning that you will not get another TV ?

It will prevent you from getting another TV from that consulate and some others.  The solution is to get a new passport.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

May I ask how it's work?

It is a crossing to Cambodia. It will require one page of his passport for the Cambodia visa on arrival.

The crossings to Myanmar do not require a full page. Just stamps. But neither of the crossing near to Bangkok allow a crossing to Myanmar for a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

Redo the math. 4+1+3=8. Minus one in Penang 7. Not 6.

They don't write this type of stuff on visas, but I'd be keen to see a picture of this visa if you can provide one.

On a different note, welcome to ThaiVisa, noticed you're new but I guess you've been watching it for a while.

busted !:giggle:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I was at Ban Laem 3 weeks ago, the stamp out of Thailand, the visa and  in/out stamp to Cambodia and the in stamp back to Thailand takes up very close to 2 pages

Time to get a new PP

Yeah, he definitely need a new PP after next run.
Did you go there by yourself or use an agent?

Thanks for the info :)

8 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

Haha Thank you for welcoming. I always appreciate everyone's thoughts and sharings :)

As far as I've watched here, never seen anyone get this kind of note before. And the way they count is kinda strange tho.

Hope our experiences useful for others.

34 minutes ago, lkv said:

Redo the math. 4+1+3=8. Minus one in Penang 7. Not 6.

They don't write this type of stuff on visas, but I'd be keen to see a picture of this visa if you can provide one.

On a different note, welcome to ThaiVisa, noticed you're new but I guess you've been watching it for a while.

20 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

Haha thanks for welcoming. Always appreciate everyone's thoughts and sharing.

As fas as I've watched here, never seen anyone get this strange note on visa. And the way they count is kinda strange tho.

Hope our experiences useful for others :)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

Haha Thank you for welcoming. I always appreciate everyone's thoughts and sharings :)

As far as I've watched here, never seen anyone get this kind of note before. And the way they count is kinda strange tho.

Hope our experiences useful for others.

can you take a picture of your visa showing the " 6th TR " note and post it here ?

New passport.. outside of Thailand is best. Or else when getting the current visa transferred or stamping out at the airport.. a note is made in the new book re previous stamps. Get the new book elsewhere.. fly to Laos .. get new visa.. enter. Good to go for another 15 months or so...

Edited by Essecola

2 minutes ago, Essecola said:

New passport.. outside of Thailand is best. Or else when getting the current visa transferred or stamping out at the airport.. a note is made in the new book re previous stamps. Get the new book elsewhere.. fly to Laos .. get new visa.. enter. Good to go for another 15 months or so...

What if the last use is VisaExempt + 30 days extension, there won't have visa to be transfer, right? 
What's the situation would affects on getting a new visa with that new passport issued in Thailand? 

Ok so you only have 2 pages left in your passport.  That’s a good reason to get a new one and will no doubt enhance your chance of getting a new TV in it.

However, it won’t wipe the slate clean with immigration.  Two things to remember.  Firstly, a visa is not a guarantee that you are allowed to enter the country.  That decision is at the discretion of the immigration officer at the point of entry.

Secondly, the moment that the IO scans your photo page of new passport their system will link your new passport with your old one, and bingo up will pop your entry history.  As I said, it is then up to the IO if he/she allows you to enter or not.

If you’re wondering how the immigration system links your old and new passports, it’s quite simple.  At the bottom of the photo page is all your basic information located between <<<<  >>>>>.  When the system cannot find your new passport number it compares the country code + gender + date of birth + family name + given name with that already in their system.  If more than one person shares the same details, their photos (taken during last entry) appears on the IO’s screen.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Essecola said:

The visa is not transferred. All they do is a annotation about the visa that was used for entry and the entry stamp when the visa was used. An embassy or consulate would pay no attention to the annotations stamp.

18 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

What if the last use is VisaExempt + 30 days extension, there won't have visa to be transfer, right? 
What's the situation would affects on getting a new visa with that new passport issued in Thailand? 

See my reply to the post were replying to.

Doing a visa exempt entry before getting the passport would be a good option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Ok so you only have 2 pages left in your passport.  That’s a good reason to get a new one and will no doubt enhance your chance of getting a new TV in it.

However, it won’t wipe the slate clean with immigration.  Two things to remember.  Firstly, a visa is not a guarantee that you are allowed to enter the country.  That decision is at the discretion of the immigration officer at the point of entry.

Secondly, the moment that the IO scans your photo page of new passport their system will link your new passport with your old one, and bingo up will pop your entry history.  As I said, it is then up to the IO if he/she allows you to enter or not.

If you’re wondering how the immigration system links your old and new passports, it’s quite simple.  At the bottom of the photo page is all your basic information located between <<<<  >>>>>.  When the system cannot find your new passport number it compares the country code + gender + date of birth + family name + given name with that already in their system.  If more than one person shares the same details, their photos (taken during last entry) appears on the IO’s screen.

Good luck

Thanks for the info! I understand that. 

I hope we have a better solutions for the next year for less hassle, might consider getting ED Visa for example.

Although, let's say if we successfully do the border run this time and before that next step, should he get a new PP here in Thailand or get it from elsewhere? What advantages/disadvantages?

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Ban Laem is a crossing to Cambodia (south of Poipet/Aranya).  Any of those would work, but don't try the Poipet/Aranya crossing - not friendly.  I have not heard of trouble with same-day returns, recently. 

Poipet used to be friendly my first year here before I just started getting extensions every year for my non-o.  I used to cross there every 3 months and never had a problem but I've heard that it's changed ever since the Bangkok bomber was caught there.  

12 hours ago, Paduppa said:

May I ask how it's work?

Also make sure to double check your last pages in your PP that you mention are actually labeled for Visas.  The US Passports are tricky and the last 3 blank pages have "Endorsements" on the page. and will not be approved as a blank page for a Visa.