Pattaya's potential as a "foodie" destination (don't laugh)

Jingthing

What's a foodie destination?

It's a tourism draw city that more sophisticated food lovers go to primarily to eat but there are usually lots of other entertaining and touristic things going on between meals as well. Not only high end restaurants of course with famous chefs but budget "ethnic" places and street food as well. 

The food scene in Pattaya is massively better than it was ten years ago, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Nobody thinks of Pattaya as a foodie destination in the same way as Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Orleans, San Francisco, Lima Peru, etc. and it clearly will NEVER be in the same level as such a "A list" foodie havens, but I think it's already threatening to enter a kind of C or B list.

First of all, yes Pattaya is weak and will probably remain weak in the "famous chef" category. But that isn't everything. 

Of course, it's always had great Thai seafood, and that's the local food draw along with Thai street food. But it's gaining strength in many other areas. Most dramatically, Indian food. There are well over 100 Indian restaurants here now and some of them are surprisingly sophisticated offering unusual regional specialties and needless to say not particularly cheap.

The bigger surprise is Chinese food. That is getting better and better here yet I've noticed most English speakers don't realize that yet. That's because the better Chinese restaurants now are not very accessible, catering to Chinese speakers, and not offering very understandable menus or English speaking staff. But that can be solved with persistence and google translate on a smart phone. 

That's just two examples. Obviously tourism demographics is driving the Indian BOOM and the Chinese mini boom.

I think the decline of the Russians here has been a big plus for the Pattaya food scene. Gone are the days where low grade pelmeni and borscht were widely seen in non-Russian restaurants all over town. 

I get it. People that aren't into food are going to mock the idea of Pattaya as at least a "minor league" foodie destination. If you only to to the malls, eat cheap Sunday roasts, and go to Kiss, you wouldn't even know. 

But I'm saying, this is HAPPENING here. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I've noticed although it's probably biased is the recent influx of quality cheeseburgers.  Yes I like cheeseburgers.

My short list is Jim's Burgers, RMPM, OMG Burgers, Barbeque Prime Time on the 9.

After years of eating chow hall food from Indian cooks in Iraq and Afghanistan curry based meals aren't really relished anymore, probably a shame.

I do like the Chinese food though and find it to be mostly different here than the offerings stateside in the USA.

Another influx of improvement seems to be the smoked pork ribs, many great choices abound now, street wise not so much.

Just my 2 cents.

If anyone has a finger on grading Pattaya's improving grades in dining, you're the man and it's very welcome to hear that you observe a real positive shift in this area even if it is to the C-list... I think B-list may be a bit premature but certainly not unobtainable. I have agreed with your previous assertions that in general, the Pattaya international dining experience has all been a bit meh with the few 'good finds' and infrequent 'stars' inexplicably losing the plot (or probably the cook) and becoming inconsistent or sometimes growing too fast but still, similarly going off the rails. Others don't try new things, others try to do too much and some don't know what they want to be in the first place. Is the city's resident and visiting "dining outers" maturing and growing enough for a sustainable, steadily improving and more diverse 'foodie' adventure? Is the fact that the expanding choices of decent dining experiences are further away from what is seen as the traditional heart of Pattaya with better seafood all the way down the end of Jomtien and beyond in Ban Amphur seen as a bonus or a hindrance considering the sh!te traffic management? What will be the key to attracting name chef's to set up shop here? Certainly can't see TAT getting too clever beyond their Durians and Seafood festivals but maybe if more high-end international hotel chains open their doors here or a famous-name, five-star, celebrity chef style restaurant franchise opportunity or two? Maybe a Jamie Oliver or an Anthony Bourdain will need a free condo thrown in? There's some dazzling kitchen artistes in Bangkok but what would entice them to expand or relocate here?

Good to see a positive in this particularly dark month at the ass-end of a particularly quiet low-season... unless one is catering to Chinese and South Asians of course. This is one thread where I won't be suggesting that anyone should "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

PS: Is there a decent Lebanese Fried Chicken shop yet?

I think you need za'atar to make Lebanese fried chicken and I've been told you can't source that here. I've never seen fried chicken on a Lebanese menu here. Shish Tawook of course though. 

Not the same thing, but for a WOW fried chicken experience (LITERALLY), there are now numerous local places that you can get one of the stars of the Sichuan kitchen -- Chongqing Chicken.

chongqing-6.jpg.e4168d8408bac34b262f80f5e545624b.jpg

There are still many glaring black holes here, and that's not going to change anytime soon. For example, not even one Ethiopian restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

One thing I've noticed although it's probably biased is the recent influx of quality cheeseburgers.  Yes I like cheeseburgers.

My short list is Jim's Burgers, RMPM, OMG Burgers, Barbeque Prime Time on the 9.

After years of eating chow hall food from Indian cooks in Iraq and Afghanistan curry based meals aren't really relished anymore, probably a shame.

I do like the Chinese food though and find it to be mostly different here than the offerings stateside in the USA.

Another influx of improvement seems to be the smoked pork ribs, many great choices abound now, street wise not so much.

Just my 2 cents.

I also love Chinese food but there are some things you can easily get in the U.S. that you simply can't get here. Not talking about Chinese American food. It would be silly to expect much of that in Thailand. I'm talking about things like Pea shoot LEAVES, (豌豆苗 dòu miáo) and Chinese clay pot dishes, such as oysters and roast pork stewed in a clay pot. What does seems to be BOOMING here is Sichuan food specifically. 

I will add that Singapore "Michelin Star" Hawker Chen opening here is evidence that I'm not the only one that sees the potential of the Pattaya food scene. 

Also even that little Indian egg specialty place from India Raju Egg opening here (I think the only location in Thailand) is another little sign that the TREND I'm seeing is really happening. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I also love Chinese food but there are some things you can easily get in the U.S. that you simply can't get here. Not talking about Chinese American food. It would be silly to expect much of that in Thailand. I'm talking about things like Pea shoot LEAVES, (豌豆苗 dòu miáo) and Chinese clay pot dishes, such as oysters and roast pork stewed in a clay pot. What does seems to be BOOMING here is Sichuan food specifically. 

Yes, I've noticed that the Sichuan sauce is much more readily available stateside than it is here for example.

Just now, Roger Lee said:

Yes, I've noticed that the Sichuan sauce is much more readily available stateside than it is here for example.

If you mean the specific fermented broad bean paste of Sichuan, that weirdly is not sold in markets here, but there are now definitely some restaurants here that are using the real stuff, even if they have to import it themselves. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

I miss Indonesian food , there are some countries that are hard to find authentic dishes from . 

Understood. There are some places doing Indonesian foods here, but not even one dedicated restaurant, and not very good either. There was a dedicated place but it closed and also wasn't great. Definitely could use more Asean regional stuff like Vietnamese, Burmese, and Malaysian. 

This trend I'm seeing is not a straight line. There are ups and downs, strengths and weaknesses. 

On the other hand, people don't go to Lima Peru to eat Brazilian food. A foodie destination doesn't need to have everything. Just exceptional in some things. 

This should immediately be presented to the TAT, since the "Family-Resort/Sports-Resort" thing  will never fly.
Why not go with the "Foodie"-Idea. Pattaya the Hub of international haute cuisine! Although I have seen French Chefs, leaving the kitchen in tears, claiming they can not perform their artistry with "freshly" flown-in ingrediants and being assisted by incorrigible Thai-Sub-Chefs.

A "Bouillabaisse" prepared in Marseilles, will not taste the same as the one prepared in Pattaya.

ALERT: Next to "Fake News" and Fake Gold Necklasses, the Farang sould be aware of the fact that he is likely eating "Fake-Food" while indulging on international culinary pleasures in Pattaya.

Never mind. If the "Foodie-Idea" doesen't work, the TAT will come up with something revolutionary new:
Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. Always pointing out that (in between meals), there is always enough time left to persue other interests, far more elevating and inspiring than eating "Fake-Foods".
Cheers.

PS: Culinary interested people should not contemplate moving to the Isaan permanently. For obvious reasons.

Understood. There are some places doing Indonesian foods here, but not even one dedicated restaurant, and not very good either. There was a dedicated place but it closed and also wasn't great. Definitely could use more Asean regional stuff like Vietnamese, Burmese, and Malaysian. 

This trend I'm seeing is not a straight line. There are ups and downs, strengths and weaknesses. 

On the other hand, people don't go to Lima Peru to eat Brazilian food. A foodie destination doesn't need to have everything. Just exceptional in some things. 

Always though Indo would do well there, and always surprised not to find it. Between Dutch tourists and others who have spent any time in Amsterdam it should be well enough known to have a market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first year living here, I tried eating primarily a Thai diet. After my Thai GF and I split (we're still friends, she's STILL hitting me up for money!), I stopped eating Thai food. Lo and behold, I started having solid bowel movements again.

If you look at the BP on any Friday, their Elite Life supplement lists and critiques restaurants in Bangkok and other cities, Pattaya included. These tend to be hiso, high price places, but at the other end of the scale we have the choice of "street food".

Street food appears to be moving away from the streets; if Bangkok is anything to go by; so a place like Hawker Chan is a logical development - street food located in a mall. 

For me, the types of restaurants that are new to Pattaya will correlate to the number of tourists from that region: thus the proliferation of Korean, Chinese and Indian places. If a more diverse range of visitors choose Pattaya as a destination it will follow that more diverse food options will result.

How, or if, TAT can market and develop the food choices avaiable for tourists will not be key, in my humble opinion. The market will find it's own level.

Pattaya is far away from a foodie destination once it comes to Western cuisine. The reasons are manyfold; the patrons, in most cases, are cheapies and settle for B99 Shnitzel and B139 Beef Tenderloin; it does not take rocket science to know that for that money you simply cannot produce an edible dish. The same patrons get a monetary heart attack if a yummy Phad Kaphao (rice with hot Thai basil) with fried pork and a fried egg costs the exorbitant amount of B45. 

So the customers behaviour drives the few chefs who tried ..... away elsewhere. In Bangkok the Western palette is unbalanced but once you hit Italian food you get better deals (not cheaper but better) than in most places in Italy. 

Chicken and Egg question - again.

3 hours ago, themerg said:

Would you like some sex with your kapow moo ?

For a resort that touts the GFE (and real GFE) for the old mongers, pretty sure that cream of sum yung gai would go down well with the ladies.

5 hours ago, quandow said:

My first year living here, I tried eating primarily a Thai diet. After my Thai GF and I split (we're still friends, she's STILL hitting me up for money!), I stopped eating Thai food. Lo and behold, I started having solid bowel movements again.

So it wasn't her that was giving you the sh!ts after all, eh?

5 hours ago, DannyTheWriter said:

Always though Indo would do well there, and always surprised not to find it. Between Dutch tourists and others who have spent any time in Amsterdam it should be well enough known to have a market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Late 70's and into the 80's, there was Dolf Riks on the corner where the traffic turns east before WS, next to SC Bank and now occupied by a jewelers tourist trap. Used to have a weekly Rijstaffel IIRC.

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Pattaya is far away from a foodie destination once it comes to Western cuisine. The reasons are manyfold; the patrons, in most cases, are cheapies and settle for B99 Shnitzel and B139 Beef Tenderloin; it does not take rocket science to know that for that money you simply cannot produce an edible dish. The same patrons get a monetary heart attack if a yummy Phad Kaphao (rice with hot Thai basil) with fried pork and a fried egg costs the exorbitant amount of B45. 

So the customers behaviour drives the few chefs who tried ..... away elsewhere. In Bangkok the Western palette is unbalanced but once you hit Italian food you get better deals (not cheaper but better) than in most places in Italy. 

Chicken and Egg question - again.

Yes, the current demographic is of the low-expectancy, fill your boots, buffet-browsing sort with sporadic sprints into 'street food' but mostly predicated on budget. Maybe the OP is looking at the point in the future future when the much-vaunted, 'quality' tourist with major wonga starts arriving at U-Tapao and the Marina.

I think Italian is the easiest European food style to mimic and adulterate and still pass off as 'authentico' and not only in LOS either.

That and "Irish" pubs.

Edited by NanLaew

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, the current demographic is of the low-expectancy, fill your boots, buffet-browsing sort with sporadic sprints into 'street food' but mostly predicated on budget. Maybe the OP is looking at the point in the future future when the much-vaunted, 'quality' tourist with major wonga starts arriving at U-Tapao and the Marina.

I think Italian is the easiest European food style to mimic and adulterate and still pass off as 'authentico' and not only in LOS either.

That and "Irish" pubs.

I think you haven't looked hard enough if you actually believe that. Foodie culture implies making some kind of effort to seek out delicious and unusual foods, and also implies placing a high value on that once found. 

You seem fixated on European food as well.

Foodie culture has much broader horizons. 

Of course an A list food city like Singapore has many good A list European options as well. 
As per the O.P., I'm not suggesting Pattaya is heading to the A list.

I am saying it's already much much better than I think most people know for food explorer types. 

I think there is some tourism potential with that. As it is now you might see mostly Chinese people at the excellent Chinese restaurants here. 

Does that mean it will always be that way?

I think not. 

To add, I think some people are getting the idea that a food destination city is mostly about super expensive fine dining restaurants. No way. Singapore is world famous for food mostly because of the hawker halls. 

No, Anthony Bourdain will never be doing a Pattaya episode.

That doesn't matter. 

What does matter to residents and tourists here is that some pretty darn amazing food is already available here, and the clear trend is that will keep getting even better.

To support my assertion about that, keep in mind that BANGKOK is consistently seen globally as one of the world's top food cities. Not only for Thai food of course. Pattaya which has become a kind of Bangkok by the sea already naturally is benefiting from that. You see that in Bangkok restaurants opening here and Bangkok people on holiday here expecting a good bit of home on the plate. 

Edited by Jingthing

Over the years, I've found there to be some very good German-style restaurants, mainly in Naklua along the main road. There are also 1 or 2 in Jomtien - particularly one that is actually called "Germania" - yes really! Unfortunately I'd struggle to locate it as i visited with friends who live in Jomtien, but someone here may be able to pinpoint it.

Oddly, some of the cheaper places, whilst not exactly "fine dining" do turn out some very good European food - just walk along Soi Bukhau.

Of course, for me it doesn't matter much - I prefer Thai food, particularly the Issan variety over this funny western stuff anyway! 

But then I might be one of the people @NanLaew referred to above (#20) Oh no wait - I cannot stand Irish (or English) so-called pubs anywhere outside the UK. In fact the only time I've had food poisoning in Patts in the last 12 years was after eating in one such a place. Go figure....:wacko:

8 hours ago, quandow said:

Thais have no understanding of hygiene, and that means this place will never be known for its food.  I have had food poisoning too many times to count in Pattaya-Jomtien.  And, IMHO, we still do not have decent Chinese food (at least what most Westerners enjoy), a decent hamburger, and not even one decent Mexican food place.

12 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Thais have no understanding of hygiene, and that means this place will never be known for its food.  I have had food poisoning too many times to count in Pattaya-Jomtien.  And, IMHO, we still do not have decent Chinese food (at least what most Westerners enjoy), a decent hamburger, and not even one decent Mexican food place.

On Chinese food I'm talking about actual Chinese food, not westerner ideas of Chinese food. You're definitely right about the latter not being supported well here. 

Keep in mind great food cities don't need to provide good examples of every cuisine. A great example is Lima, Peru. It's A list and food lovers go there almost exclusively for the Peruvian food (modern takes on it). People don't travel to New Orleans to eat world class Thai food either. San Francisco is an example of much richer food diversity being offered. Bangkok also offers a reasonable amount of diversity for food fans, though of course the biggest draw is Thai food, the most famous restaurant in Bangkok is actually INDIAN. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Over the years, I've found there to be some very good German-style restaurants, mainly in Naklua along the main road. There are also 1 or 2 in Jomtien - particularly one that is actually called "Germania" - yes really! Unfortunately I'd struggle to locate it as i visited with friends who live in Jomtien, but someone here may be able to pinpoint it.

Oddly, some of the cheaper places, whilst not exactly "fine dining" do turn out some very good European food - just walk along Soi Bukhau.

Of course, for me it doesn't matter much - I prefer Thai food, particularly the Issan variety over this funny western stuff anyway! 

But then I might be one of the people @NanLaew referred to above (#20) Oh no wait - I cannot stand Irish (or English) so-called pubs anywhere outside the UK. In fact the only time I've had food poisoning in Patts in the last 12 years was after eating in one such a place. Go figure....:wacko:

9 hours ago, VBF said:

I googled Germania and found an old 2013 post in German about it.  They list the address as 32 Soi 4 Chaiyapruk 1, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20260.  According to Google Maps it's just past the turn at the end of Beach Rd. in Jomtien.  Although I'm not a big German food fan, (I am 100% German blood although American) it might be worth checking out.  That is if they're still there and if they happen to have something other than Sauerkraut:-).  Trip Advisor doesn't list them btw.

Edited by Roger Lee

27 minutes ago, balo said:

I don't think Germania is still in business.   There is a bar/restaurant at that location run by an Aussie.

I seem to recall that it was in an apartment complex. Is that the place you mean?

14 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

And, IMHO, we still do not have decent Chinese food (at least what most Westerners enjoy), a decent hamburger, and not even one decent Mexican food place.

Ate just last night at the recently relocated "Wok-N-Rok," now located in Jomtien. While the food is exactly what you would come to expect from Western-style Chinese food, my friend got a little stab of 30 baht when he asked for some more ice for his drink. I'll only do takeout from now on and only when I just HAVE to have some.

Hamburger? Sizzlers has a WONDERFUL Swiss cheeseburger with mushrooms which includes the salad bar.

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That and "Irish" pubs.

Most visitors here are interested in all things cheap.  Entertainment, food, lodging, booze, etc.  As said above, hard to get quality food when your budget is 150B and below. 

I was just in Bangkok and the variety of food there is fantastic.  New and hip places popping up all over with some really interesting food dishes.  Most customers are Thai, though there are some foreigners as well.  Bangkok is truly a foodie destination.  Pattaya?  Not now.

As for Italian here?  Few places serve really good Italian food.  The ones that do are not cheap! LOL.  Especially if paired with a good bottle of wine. :sad:

4 hours ago, quandow said:

Ate just last night at the recently relocated "Wok-N-Rok," now located in Jomtien. While the food is exactly what you would come to expect from Western-style Chinese food, my friend got a little stab of 30 baht when he asked for some more ice for his drink. I'll only do takeout from now on and only when I just HAVE to have some.

Hamburger? Sizzlers has a WONDERFUL Swiss cheeseburger with mushrooms which includes the salad bar.

Well.......maybe I will try Sizzler for a hamburger.  Thanks.  I saw the WokNRok place but decided not to even try it because it appeared to be British-Chinese food, the worst on the planet.  I am virtually certain that 99.9% of us have no desire to eat what passes here as "authentic" Chinese food (e.g. pig ears).  Lots of people would probably love American-Chinese food, which you cannot find in Thailand.  By the way, I have lived in the USA and spent several years in China, both north and south.  Most of the authentic Chinese dishes that 99.9% of us would like are not on the menu over here.  It is really strange, IMHO.  Maybe one day it will happen!  And on that day, maybe some excellent Mexican-American food will show up (if not, I would welcome Taco Bell as even it is better than most of the overpriced, tasteless crap that is being served over here.......with one exception:  La Monita in Bangkok). I agree with another poster who stated that Bangkok is an international food destination.  The restaurant scene is growing in Pattaya-Jomtien and becoming a bit more diverse, but most of the food sucks and, as I said, the lack of any fundamental understanding of hygiene among Thais is a big negative........a dark cloud that is having a negative impact on the food scene.  I know farang owners who are trying to establish hygienic practices at their establishments, but often cannot make Thais understand what the rest of the world knows already about food preparation, hygiene and disease.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli