Scottish man dies after motorcycle hits lamppost in Sattahip

rooster59

Scottish man dies after motorcycle hits lamppost in Sattahip

IMG_6208(1).JPG

Image: Tnews

A 32 year old Scottish man died at the scene after he lost control of a motorcycle heading towards Pattaya in the Sattahip district of Chonburi.

Chinkorn Muang-orn - who was driving a bus - said he witnessed the man on the bike colliding at speed with a lamppost.

The body of 32 year old Steven Kerr was found with a broken neck in the central reservation near the Pattaya Elephant Camp.

He was wearing a full face black helmet.

Twenty meters away also in the central reservation was a smashed up red plate Yamaha NMax bike.

The accident happened in the early hours of Friday morning, reported Tnews.

Na Jomtien police led by Udom Srimat are investigating and the body was taken to the morgue at a local hospital by foundation medics.

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-14

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely horrible to die at such a young age no matter what the circumstances. 

3 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

At least he didn't suffer a head injury. Another example that helmets are not always saving you. 

Yep, the human body is an extremely fragile thing. Excessive trauma to really any part of your person can result in a fatality. 

But I’d much rather be wearing a helmet than not

Edited by MadMuhammad

You can be certain that he bought the full face helmet himself.

When I was mad enough to rent scooters before I lived here,

once a year I would go to Pattaya for a convention from Japan

(where I rode a Honda Lead 250cc daily for ten years), and the

pathetic 300bht imitation helmets scared me, I would ride slowly to Big C, and

buy a full face helmet for about 1,500bht, but even that would not

pass scrutineering at any Aussie race track, but was a bit better

than the useless ones they give you. After 3 days I would try and sell it to the

scooter rental place saying "other Farangs will like it, 500bht ok?"

Most took it but I guess nothing will save you from

"colliding at speed with a lamppost in the early hours of Friday morning"

NS

4 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

At least he didn't suffer a head injury. Another example that helmets are not always saving you. 

You would have to extremely dumb to need examples to demonstrate that a helmet will not always save you, about as dumb as you would need to be to deny that most motorcycle deaths are caused by head injuries and that decent helmets massively reduce that risk.

6 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

That is a TOTAL false syllogism!

an absolutely ridiculous thing to say it shows absolutely no understanding of how helmets work and we have no idea of how the sccident happened - for all he know without a helmet he could have died of serious head injuries instead of a broken neck - but the point is moot.

I have to say I find it a bit puzzling that the comments on this thread seem to concentrate on one of two things

False and uninformed judgments of the incident

and secondly we know if it had been a Thai person there would have been tseveal posts confirming that the rider like all Thai people was an idiot.

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

I have to say I find it a bit puzzling that the comments on this thread seem to concentrate on one of two things

False and uninformed judgments of the incident

and secondly we know if it had been a Thai person there would have been tseveal posts confirming that the rider like all Thai people was an idiot.

Maybe he was an idiot. Early morning hours, most probably drunk and speeding.

I was an idiot myself many times drunk driving but was lucky never had an accident.

1 hour ago, maximillian said:

Maybe he was an idiot. Early morning hours, most probably drunk and speeding.

I was an idiot myself many times drunk driving but was lucky never had an accident.

Pure supposition - what is so alarming is that members seem to be unaware of how incredible ignorant that is - it is just baseless spouting of words to no avail whatsoever.

Up to 90% of acidents are the result of "human error" - not big gaffs, just looking down to check the radio or double checking something in a field and that's all it normally takes - collisions and crashes aen't the preserve of the stupid, they are for everyday, normal people.

Edited by Airbagwill

17 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Pure supposition - what is so alarming is that members seem to be unaware of how incredible ignorant that is - it is just baseless spouting of words to no avail whatsoever.

Up to 90% of acidents are the result of "human error" - not big gaffs, just looking down to check the radio or double checking something in a field and that's all it normally takes - collisions and crashes aen't the preserve of the stupid, they are for everyday, normal people.

Pure suppostition, in Thailand 62% of traffic accident victims consumed alcohol and 45% of traffic deaths were due to alcohol, turns out it was your comment that was the baseless spouting of words to no avail whatsoever, how incredibly ignorant, lol.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/en/thailand.pdf

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

100% disagree on this one.... talking through things has been proven to have an effect.... even if it's just "spitballing"

but more significantly, since I started reading ThaiVisa newsletters, I have stopped myself from random acts of stupidity on a couple of occassions, by considering the comments my death ( from stupidity) would illicit from members here.

so... that's guys...( and girls)... fear of your caustic remarks may well have saved my life... keep up the good work

and ...

wear your hell mutt!

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Pure suppostition, in Thailand 62% of traffic accident victims consumed alcohol and 45% of traffic deaths were due to alcohol, turns out it was your comment that was the baseless spouting of words to no avail whatsoever, how incredibly ignorant, lol.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/en/thailand.pdf

Seems you are believing locally collated statistics.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

And the Thai stats do actually try to play things down not up, they do not actually want to appear as a bunch of drunks on the international stage.

And the suicides stats what drivel you got on that.  The stats by alcohol alliance are subject to disclosure by thai statisticians so my point stands your supplementary BS was noted but swiftly dismissed. Nice try tho

7 hours ago, wvavin said:

Speed kills!

Actually not - it is the sudden stop that kills...

RIP

Edited by ttrd

18 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Strange statement to make. Who claimed that helmets will ALWAYS save you, or are you suggesting other options? If this is the case, why not say so? Proper helmets mitigate the effects of an accident, that is what they do. Same as seat belts in a motor vehicle.

The only thing that WILL save you (as a motorcyclist) from motorcycle injuries or death is not to ride one.

BTW - I am a motorcycle owner and rider (and have raced them) for over 50 years. Any 'accident' that you may be involved in, rightly or wrongly (in the eyes of the law), is still likely to hurt you.

Ride SAFELY and enjoy.

13 hours ago, wvavin said:

Speed kills!

Especially when combined with alcohol. As that is the rumour going around at the moment. If this is correct, it will mean that Steven is the 2nd Brit, I personally know,who over the last two months, have lost their lives in these circumstances.

I would add that Steven was a very quite and unassuming chap, who like the other Brit I knew, left a very young son, in this case a 8yrs old.