Venice of the East - massive deluge plunges Bangkok into chaos

rooster59

Venice of the East - massive deluge plunges Bangkok into chaos

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GOyZ3YohReZT8Nth0x.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that Bangkok had become one big set of 'klongs' this morning.

Following very heavy rainfall in the night many roads were impassable to smaller vehicles.

They said among the main arteries affected were Viphawadee Rangsit, Chaeng Wattana, Rachadapisek, Lat Prao, Petchaburi and Petkasem.

They said there was widespread disruption at the five ways Lat Prao intersection near their offices on Viphawadee Rangsit where traffic was at a virtual standstill in both directions at one point.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-14

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The areas north of Bangkok are already flooded, more is running off from central and northern Thailand and we are just in the beginning of the rainy season. Could be a wet few months to come.

Actually we are at the end of the rainy season, which generally goes from May/June to October, give or take a couple weeks.

This heavy rain was predicted a few days ago, but Klong Saen Saeb was never drained. Usually the level of water falls by 50 cm or more when they predict heavy rain. I noticed on Thursday that the water level was normal.

Bad water management

Edited by petedk

Overnight rains cause massive flooding in Bangkok

By The Nation

73224dbca272da606d7a282eaebe3956-sld.jpeg

Heavy rains lashed Bangkok past midnight on Friday and continued into the early hours of Saturday, leading to flooding on many Bangkok roads.

At around 7.30am on Saturday, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Drainage Department issued a plea on its Facebook page, urging Bangkokians who have no urgent business to stay home as many roads are still inundated.

At 8am, the Drainage Department said 32 flooded spots in Bangkok were yet to be drained while water had subsided at 23 other spots.

Phra Nakhon district received the heaviest rainfall – 203.0 millimetres.

The flooded areas included Si Ayutthaya Road from the Phya Thai intersection to the Urupong intersection and Rama VI Road.

Rajaprarop Road, Ratchavithi Road, the Din Daeng area and nearby Vibhavadi Road were also flooded.

At 8am, many roads were still inundated, including Vibhavadi Soi 3 to the Lat Phrao intersection. Sedan cars could not pass the section of the road and several cars suffered engine breakdown.

Several vehicles had to be parked on the far-right lane next to the road island and on the Don Muang Tollway before the Din Daeng exit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329256

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-14

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The areas north of Bangkok are already flooded, more is running off from central and northern Thailand and we are just in the beginning of the rainy season. Could be a wet few months to come.

This is just the beginning... no, this ain’t the rainy season. It’s Thailand cyclone season...

Flooded road causes traffic gridlock on Don Muang Tollway

By The Nation

00e7db2d82f653fcf5a23e1a5114509c-sld.jpeg

Photo from @fm91trafficpro: Officials make a special u-turn spot on the Don Muang Tollway at 10:02 am for motorists to go back after vehicles cannot leave the elevated way at the Din Daeng exit due to severe flooding.

A long queue of vehicles formed on the inbound Don Muang Tollway late Saturday morning as the flooded road below prevented them from exiting the elevated way.

By 9.30am, many cars were stranded on the tollway before the Din Daeng exit.

The Vibhavadi Rangsit Road from the Sutthisarn intersection and the Lat Phrao intersection were still inundated.

The flooding also caused severe traffic congestion on the inbound Vibhavadi Rangsit Road.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329261

thenation_logo.jpg

Phra Nakhon records highest rainfall in 10 years

By The Nation

f0eeaf30d5137e0e63b640d9f843640f-sld.jpeg

Bangkok’s Phra Nakhon district recorded its highest single-day rainfall in a decade after torrential rains lashed the capital late Friday and early Saturday.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Drainage Department said Phra Nakhon recorded 214.5mm of rain.

Phasi Charoen district recorded 214mm, Saphan Mon area in Bangkok Noi district 208mm, Yannawa district 195mm, the Bueng Makkasan pond in Ratchathewi district 177.5mm, and Din Daeng district 174mm.

The department said the capital had the capacity to drain rainwater in real time if the downpour was not more than 60mm.

By 10am, several major roads in the capital were still flooded. Among the flooded areas were the road around Chatuchak Park, Kamphaeng Phet Road, Chomthong Road, Sathon Road, Bang Sue Road, Pattanakarn Road, the Ratchathewi Road in front of the Livestock Department, Rajaprarop Road, Ratchawithi Road, and the Sunghee intersection.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329260

thenation_logo.jpg

Heart goes out to all those affected by the flooding, in BKK or elsewhere.

But just for some sense of perspective: I'm in central BKK in a flatlands area, it rained cats and dogs last night for a long time, and when I woke up this morning, the street in front of my home is absolutely dry.

One of the things about Bangkok and flooding. Some areas get flooded every time. And some never do. You'd think the authorities might have been able to deal with the problem areas by now, since they've only had countless repeat floodings to figure it out... But no, that would be too much to expect.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Actually we are at the end of the rainy season, which generally goes from May/June to October, give or take a couple weeks.

Indeed.

But if Thailand really wants to do something about the water problem, upstream millions of trees need to be planted to hold the water, the river bed flowing through Thailand into Bangkok need to be widened upstream, huge overflow areas must be designate upstream, the river in Bangkok must be widened and dikes need to be built, literally, to hold the river in check, and the whole of greater Bangkok must become a polder, enclosed by dikes.

Huge pumping stations must be installed to keep Bangkok dry, but not to dry to stop the ground subsiding.

That's what has been done in the Netherlands.

And a big part of that country is below sea level....

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Has there ever been a year without flooding in Bangkok?

No and there never will be despite what the so called experts state in regards to mitigation.

The rain making squad are just too efficient and powerful for their own good!!!

Must be a very localized thing because although yesterday was quite a rainy day, most of eastern Bangkok though showing signs of rain having fallen earlier (I had just come back from a road trip to the eastern seaboard) was absolutely ordinary - there have been many periods in the last few weeks with much heavier rain and flooding than yesterday. So probably it was the city center that received the heavy rain while other parts of the city just received a little.

Same thing with overnight rain - wasn't heavy at all, if it was I'd be able to hear it over my air-conditioner. So i guess the flooding this morning must have been localized to the downtown area.

Edited by jimster

35 minutes ago, jimster said:

Must be a very localized thing because although yesterday was quite a rainy day, most of eastern Bangkok though showing signs of rain having fallen earlier (I had just come back from a road trip to the eastern seaboard) was absolutely ordinary - there have been many periods in the last few weeks with much heavier rain and flooding than yesterday. So probably it was the city center that received the heavy rain while other parts of the city just received a little.

Same thing with overnight rain - wasn't heavy at all, if it was I'd be able to hear it over my air-conditioner. So i guess the flooding this morning must have been localized to the downtown area.

It absolutely threw it down last night where I am in Ekamai - was so heavy you could not see more than 20 metres. Was constant at that intensity for about 3 hours and it flooded very, very quickly, then it reduced to a less intense rain for a few more hours.

It must have hit a foot in our yard since it's risen enough to breach a few of our outdoor buildings and my office which has a door a foot from ground level.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd