New electric scooter models to Thailand

madhav

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I was interested to follow this electric bike tale. Until they become more powerful , with a quicker re-charge time , and with price and quality similar to regular bikes , they wont suit many people. Give it 5 years , and maybe battery technology will have improved to such an extent they become viable. Same with electric cars. Have you considered a cheap dual sport bike , such as a Lifan X-Cross or the X-Plore 200. They are well within your budget , at about 48,000 Baht.Both would cope with the hills and road surfaces , and servicing will be cheap.

Toshiba released a new report showing their latest battery tech. 6 mins for a full recharge allowing over 300km in range. See here. Probably requires some serious infrastructure in terms of recharge equipment and costs a fortune, however it's progress in the right direction. 

At the end of the day for someone like me, it comes down to what is available for purchase right now. And there is a very limited range. The Juno would have worked 100% fine if I didn't live on the top of an unusually steep hill. I think for 99% of people who live in normally places houses or apartments, it will be fine.

I did not know about the Lifan brand. I checked it out and the prices seem very reasonable. I now have my eye on a lightly used (2000km) aerox for 50k baht in bangkok. (prices in Samui are obscene, ie think 70k baht for base model) Will probably take this as the power to weight is slightly better than the 200cc Lifan models and I like the ease of an auto scooter.

Edited by madhav

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, madhav said:

Toshiba released a new report showing their latest battery tech. 6 mins for a full recharge allowing over 300km in range. See here. Probably requires some serious infrastructure in terms of recharge equipment and costs a fortune, however it's progress in the right direction. 

At the end of the day for someone like me, it comes down to what is available for purchase right now. And there is a very limited range. The Juno would have worked 100% fine if I didn't live on the top of an unusually steep hill. I think for 99% of people who live in normally places houses or apartments, it will be fine.

I did not know about the Lifan brand. I checked it out and the prices seem very reasonable. I now have my eye on a lightly used (2000km) aerox for 50k baht in bangkok. (prices in Samui are obscene, ie think 70k baht for base model) Will probably take this as the power to weight is slightly better than the 200cc Lifan models and I like the ease of an auto scooter.

I am selling my Lifan Cross, just bought a CRF250L. I put new Jap wheel bearings, Honda chain and a new comfy seat when I bought it, set it up and ran it in, has new tyres now as the originals ones were old stock. Paid B49,000 two years ago, runs great, read my other thread. I want B37,000 for a bike better than a new one.

Warning! This is real fun bike!! 

5767km,  2 years old come December.

Edited by AllanB

WARNING!! Electric scooters are dangerous, no one can hear you coming.

Electric vehicles will get a «Acoustic Vehicle Alerting Systems» to warn pedestrians at low speeds. I assume that this be applied to electric scooters, too.

Car manufacturers will develop their own sounds. Do you heart the sound of the future vehicles of Nissan?

On 10/14/2017 at 9:51 PM, balo said:

Why not buy an electric bicycle instead . Only 1 km to work , no need for a big bike . My electric bicycle , battery is good for 45 km , I paid 20k for it .  And then you'll get the exercise as an added bonus when you run out of power. :smile:

Where did you buy it ? I am interested. Thanks.

4 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

LA Bike in Pattaya , they have branches all over Thailand. 

But unfortunately this brand "Nimbla" has stopped producing E-bikes. The parts came from China and was manufactured in Thailand. 

But other brands are available around the same price range.  

Read a couple of days ago  Honda have asked the Thai Government to change the rules, as they wish to build and sell in Thailand the Electric PCX .....  

Honda Electric PCX to be sold worldwide next year.

I did an extensive search for an electric scooter, ended up buying the Toyotron which is the best of the bunch but still not great.

UDA bikes cannot be registered to ride on the road, so take them right off your list.

I made a video about my search and choice, you can watch it here.  Subsequent videos are about all of the fixes I made to the bike and my upgrades.

•    On 10/16/2017 at 6:17 PM, madhav said:

Ordered 1 Juno model with lead acid battery for 42k. Is possible to register, so no issues. 

Please let us know how this works out.  I'm curious to know.  And, good luck.

P.S. I am impressed with how you handled all all typical ThaiVisa B.S. in your thread

I could not agree more with your last sentence.   AllanB's comments were deliberately provocative and offensive in response to a perfectly innocent and well-informed question. Nobody minds constructive comments or criticism, but, in my opinion, abusive comments like AllanB's should be either deleted by the moderators or the poster warned about his future conduct.

2 minutes ago, Foxy52 said:

Just walk to work <deleted>, it's only 1 km and it'll keep you fit

Several issues, one is that we have to frequently carry items, two is that we have rescued some dogs in the resort and they want to follow us home, so it is a game of hide and seek everytime we want to leave by foot, third is that when it gets really hot in the middle of the day and I need to make several trips back and forth it is exhausting walking up and down that hill and requires me to change my clothes because they'll be drenched in sweat.

6 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

I did an extensive search for an electric scooter, ended up buying the Toyotron which is the best of the bunch but still not great.

UDA bikes cannot be registered to ride on the road, so take them right off your list.

I made a video about my search and choice, you can watch it here.  Subsequent videos are about all of the fixes I made to the bike and my upgrades.

I came across your video, was inspiring. I think there are a few more choices since then as I mentioned in the thread. I suspect there will be even more in the next year. I was not too keen on paying 70k for the toyotron like I said on the previous page so until prices come down and power and torque goes up, I will stick with gasoline based option. A second hand yamaha aerox. 

6 minutes ago, madhav said:

Several issues, one is that we have to frequently carry items, two is that we have rescued some dogs in the resort and they want to follow us home, so it is a game of hide and seek everytime we want to leave by foot, third is that when it gets really hot in the middle of the day and I need to make several trips back and forth it is exhausting walking up and down that hill and requires me to change my clothes because they'll be drenched in sweat.

I came across your video, was inspiring. I think there are a few more choices since then as I mentioned in the thread. I suspect there will be even more in the next year. I was not too keen on paying 70k for the toyotron like I said on the previous page so until prices come down and power and torque goes up, I will stick with gasoline based option. A second hand yamaha aerox. 

Sorry, I skipped over all of the troll posts and didn't see your previous message.  I think electrics will make big strides in price and range in a short couple of years.

2 hours ago, mwbrown said:

Sorry, I skipped over all of the troll posts and didn't see your previous message.  I think electrics will make big strides in price and range in a short couple of years.

Honda will soon be coming out with electric and hybrid versions (only) of the PCX. I expect that it will be heads and shoulders better than any other electric motorbikes available presently in Thailand, but the key issue is "at what price". I expect that it will be much more expensive than the presently available electric motorbikes and also more expensive than the gasoline engine bikes that it will compete with, but for those who really want to go electric, I expect that it will provide a real/viable option at a premium price. For anyone that is interested in overall economy and not considering a "social/environmental" motive (or just to stand out from the crowd), I just don't see electric scooters at the best choice, at least not any time soon. I have always had a strong preference for Honda, but I will start seriously looking at Yamaha when I need to replace my present motorbikes. 

On 14/10/2017 at 8:04 PM, AllanB said:

Do I sense a little sarcasm here?

This is the best advice you will get here, the Wave is bulletproof, ultra cheap, ultra reliable, ultra economical, safer and will handle the hills, what more do you want? A troublesome piece of battery- powered crap, remember what happens to batteries in the heat, they don't last. Forget to charge it and it is a long walk.

The 2 baht you will save on petrol in the first year will be more than offset when you have to replace the battery/s in the second year. The only thing that has failed on our Wave in 8 years is the battery (after 2 years), but no worries it is a kick start.

Or just listen to BS Al Gore if you want.

Not a AL Gore fan by any means but EV vehicles will soon be the norm. The majority use lithium ion batteries not lead acid batteries and they last along time and usually have a cooling system to keep.them cool.

Don't be like the guy that use to sell

Horse whips when the new fangled autos showed up. You need to see the writing on the wall.

2 hours ago, johnarth said:

thanks for the info, I too was looking at electric, but I was told they very cheap to buy, from this article I can see they are not, just to mention a big seller in China is a gas-electric scooter 

There are several options available now:

1: http://www.lionbike.com/store/product/มอเตอร์ไซค์ไฟฟ้า-1727138-th.html
2: http://www.eminimotor.com/15719574/ฮอนด้า-m8

3: http://www.star8thailand.com/มอเตอร์ไซค์ไฟฟ้า-juno/

Price wise I think they are ok considering they are new.

Edited by madhav

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

Not a AL Gore fan by any means but EV vehicles will soon be the norm. The majority use lithium ion batteries not lead acid batteries and they last along time and usually have a cooling system to keep.them cool.

Don't be like the guy that use to sell

Horse whips when the new fangled autos showed up. You need to see the writing on the wall.

The reason they are promoting this battery powered crap is because the oil is in the hands of the "wrong" people. So what happens when the lithium runs out, besides when I see a half decent battery powered vehicle of any kind, I will believe it.

Al these people are promising stuff (indeed a complete switch) that doesn't even exist on paper right now. It's called a "prediction."

There will be plenty of time to buy electric vehicles when(or if) they are ready and working, what's the mad rush to be a guinea pig? Being modern at all cost.

Only last week a guy on this forum paid a shit load of money for an electric scooter that won't go up hill. Wake up and smell the bullshit lads.

39 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Only last week a guy on this forum paid a shit load of money for an electric scooter that won't go up hill. Wake up and smell the bullshit lads.

:clap2:

Edited by madhav

22 hours ago, madhav said:

:clap2:

There is one type of electric bike that makes sense, one where the electric motor replaces or assists peddling.

My brother in law loves cycling but now has arthritis, so be bought a power assisted bike, he can now go out cycling with his mates and keep up on the hills.

An electric cycle is portable, even foldable and being lightweight is doesn't need big batteries, can incorporate simple energy reclaim, be ride assisted, so the range can be huge.

Now that is proven technology, so it makes sense for the future when the prices come down, or if you need one now.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:09 PM, EcigAmateur said:

Check out the epique. https://www.falcongo.co.th/products/epique-city-e-bike Its new and looks pretty good. Foldable as well, so if you got a car thats good. 

They have another electric bicycle too. Dyu.. but doesnt look that great. https://www.falcongo.co.th/collections/all/products/dyu

My dad likes it tho, so to each his own

Edited by Lycian

• 1 month later...
i'm interested in an electric bicycle/scooter too, does anyone know where i can buy one in pattaya ?

LA bike used to sell cheaper bicycle models around 20-25k , that's where I bought mine, but they stopped the production. But you can order electric bikes from Lazada, they will be shipped from Bangkok.

In Jomtien , soi Chaiapruek, there is a professional bike shop, they sell expensive imported electric models from 40k and up.

It all depends what you're looking for really.

Thai / Chinese made bikes start from 15k and up.

5 minutes ago, balo said:

LA bike used to sell cheaper bicycle models around 20-25k , that's where I bought mine, but they stopped the production. But you can order electric bikes from Lazada, they will be shipped from Bangkok.

In Jomtien , soi Chaiapruek, there is a professional bike shop, they sell expensive imported electric models from 40k and up.

It all depends what you're looking for really.

Thai / Chinese made bikes start from 15k and up.

i'm interested, please let me know if you get new info, its still a few months before i make it back and need one.

i cant recall chaiapruek, i didnt go to jomtien much, about where is that soi ?

Edited by poanoi

i'm interested, please let me know if you get new info, its still a few months before i make it back and need one.
i cant recall chaiapruek, i didnt go to jomtien much, about where is that soi ?

Venture bike, this is their e-bike shop. http://www.venturebikehire.com/e-bike-shop.html

Soi Chaiyapruek , location 200 meter from the beach side. 10 minutes drive from central Jomtien.