Best Truck Ford or Toyota!

Duaned

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to a thai engineer who works for Ford and next year the Ranger apparently gets a new drivechain, supposedly a real improvement
My Rangers auto gearbox is little ruff, and can be better. But I am still satisfied with the performance and the [emoji618]fuel consumption.

Skickat från min Redmi Note 4 via Tapatalk

On 12/4/2017 at 1:07 PM, transam said:

Give it time, when the reliability thing kicks in after a few years of ownership then perhaps a different picture will emerge...:stoner:

Unless their service is steadily improving and catching up with reliability which in my limited 150,000 km of Ranger thrashing is already great.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless their service is steadily improving and catching up with reliability which in my limited 150,000 km of Ranger thrashing is already great.

Glad to hear it, but your one ride is not the big picture, only time will reveal that..

On 11/30/2017 at 10:21 PM, mickemus said:

A ranger is not a 1ton pick up so qhy is the vw 1ton in the mix.

Ill put a fird 1ton up against anything.

If aomeone is having problems contact ford corporate in america. Like i did with honda and their incompetent techs that never put oil in my motorbike.  I got results after a thai honda dealer was pushing me off.   Ill bet if the shop cctv showed them putting oil in the motorbike they would have shown it to me.

My point is in TL customer service sucks. Wberu vehicle has problems but u still like the ford

On 12/9/2017 at 8:20 AM, transam said:

Glad to hear it, but your one ride is not the big picture, only time will reveal that..

Neither is madmax2's sh!t Ranger and dire Phuket service. You don't appreciate the new big picture but only time will reveal that...

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Neither is madmax2's sh!t Ranger and dire Phuket service. You don't appreciate the new big picture but only time will reveal that...

Agreed, but looking at comments online, here and other sites, there are many more comments about issues with quality and service with Ford than there are with Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu, Honda, etc.

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Agreed, but looking at comments online, here and other sites, there are many more comments about issues with quality and service with Ford than there are with Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu, Honda, etc.

What's with this inability to consider the new big picture? Maybe it needs some more emphasis.

Based on the visibly declining number of whines about older PX Rangers on this and the 4 very active and much more critical Ford Ranger owner forums that I am a member of, and in light of their increasing chunk of the local market with the newer, more reliable PX2 Rangers and improved local after-sales service, there's simply no need to keep reminding people of the bad old days.

I don't subscribe to the forums of the other brands so cannot comment on the "happiness quotient" of those owner/drivers. I assume that your claim to empirical knowledge of Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu, Honda, etc., that you do? Or is it only the TV motoring pages and the ever diminishing and mostly expired links to other sites referring to early model PX Rangers from several years ago that you refer to?

Welcome to the bright new big picture of Ford Ranger ownership.

PS. That's why the last Revo makeover specifically mentioned larger rear-view mirrors.

PPS. That's why the Rocco has had a very, very Tundra-like nose job... and we all know what perpetually top-selling US pickup truck the Tundra copied don't we?

On 12/7/2017 at 4:38 AM, Will E Vormer said:

I spoke to a thai engineer who works for Ford and next year the Ranger apparently gets a new drivechain, supposedly a real improvement

Since the only chains that I know of are in Toyota transfer cases (see below), I assume that Ford will be introducing a new drive-train in the 2018 Ranger.

split-tojo-transfer-case.jpg.2a13e9b7438e3f512557b32c78a04c48.jpg

On 09/12/2017 at 11:27 AM, Coconutman said:

A ranger is not a 1ton pick up so qhy is the vw 1ton in the mix.

Ill put a fird 1ton up against anything.

If aomeone is having problems contact ford corporate in america. Like i did with honda and their incompetent techs that never put oil in my motorbike.  I got results after a thai honda dealer was pushing me off.   Ill bet if the shop cctv showed them putting oil in the motorbike they would have shown it to me.

My point is in TL customer service sucks. Wberu vehicle has problems but u still like the ford

In the real world which uses metric measurements, it is a 1 tonne pickup.

If you come from the Nazi States ofAmerica then who cares?

On 12/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, NanLaew said:

What's with this inability to consider the new big picture? Maybe it needs some more emphasis.

Based on the visibly declining number of whines about older PX Rangers on this and the 4 very active and much more critical Ford Ranger owner forums that I am a member of, and in light of their increasing chunk of the local market with the newer, more reliable PX2 Rangers and improved local after-sales service, there's simply no need to keep reminding people of the bad old days.

I don't subscribe to the forums of the other brands so cannot comment on the "happiness quotient" of those owner/drivers. I assume that your claim to empirical knowledge of Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu, Honda, etc., that you do? Or is it only the TV motoring pages and the ever diminishing and mostly expired links to other sites referring to early model PX Rangers from several years ago that you refer to?

Welcome to the bright new big picture of Ford Ranger ownership.

PS. That's why the last Revo makeover specifically mentioned larger rear-view mirrors.

PPS. That's why the Rocco has had a very, very Tundra-like nose job... and we all know what perpetually top-selling US pickup truck the Tundra copied don't we?

I am looking at the big picture, unlike a few of the owners of a Ranger or Toyota here.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:34 PM, NanLaew said:

Since the only chains that I know of are in Toyota transfer cases

Mitsubishi Triton - for just one example - also use a chain. Manufacturers like them because they are lighter and more quiet.

Gear driven are much more robust, and allow you to stack them more easily too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, Duaned said:

Ok I started this topic and by reading all the input that has educated me tremendously on the 2 I will buy the Toyota ! Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it!

Duane

You won't go wrong with a new Revo.  We've got a 2016 and I love to drive it.  I often say I'd have one back home in the US too if it was available. 

In the US I've always had one or two Ford trucks in the garage since 1981.  They've been essentially trouble free with the single exception of air bags in the suspension of an SUV.  I won't have airbags again.  Ford cars for my kids have been more disappointing with some chronic recurring problems like engine mounts.

We'll buy a Ranger here next time just to try it.  I test drove one before we bought the Revo.  The 3.2 liter engine was noticeably more powerful and the larger 18 inch wheels on the WildTrak gave it a better ride.  I'm pretty sure a Toyota is more reliable, but I can live with that for a Ford I really like.

2 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Any ranger  or mazda bt50 owners care to comment on what's the best one to get 

2.2 or 3.2? 

Don't need to tow anything but I was thinking the 2.2 might be under powered for  the weight of the thing...... 

I have driven both 2.2 and 3.2 Wildtrak's and they feel considerably different when driving ... the 2.2 feels quicker but it can't be .. probably because it just feels more responsive.  It is not under powered.

This is from the owner of an 3.2L Everest ...

2.2 or 3.2? 

Don't need to tow anything but I was thinking the 2.2 might be underpowered for  the weight of the thing...... 
I am satisfied with the 2,2 engine. If you choose a new 3.2 you also get 4WD, and that I can be without. This options are for towing.

4 hours ago, speedtripler said:

2.2 or 3.2? 

Don't need to tow anything but I was thinking the 2.2 might be underpowered for  the weight of the thing...... 

Had a 2.2 and it had plenty of power for everyday driving, i never carried a elephant in the back that could make a difference, maximum load carried in the rear was about 400kg which did not effect the performance at all on a long trip from Korat to Phuket 

For roughly a million baht or just under, what pick up would people recommend. Safety being the most important factor as two little children will be passengers sometimes. Although resale is also important for many, not so much in this case, purely safety.

4wd wouldnt be used enough to pay the extra and if ever got stuck there are many tractors about. Primary use of car is everyday driving with a bit of dirt/farm road driving. Pick up needed mostly for cages to be put in for the dogs. SUV can come later if we decide to pump out any more kids.

Looking at what's available it seems the 2.2 Ford, Mitsubishi and Mazda ranks highest re safety. Is the Triton a better option re capable servicing in Thailand? Is the issue with Ford Thailand lack of mechanical understanding by technicians or a parts thing or just blown out of proportion?

Any opinions would be appreciated. 

Edited by wildewillie89

For roughly a million baht or just under, what pick up would people recommend. Safety being the most important factor as two little children will be passengers sometimes. Although resale is also important for many, not so much in this case, purely safety.

4wd wouldnt be used enough to pay the extra and if ever got stuck there are many tractors about. Primary use of car is everyday driving with a bit of dirt/farm road driving. Pick up needed mostly for cages to be put in for the dogs. SUV can come later if we decide to pump out any more kids.

Looking at what's available it seems the 2.2 Ford, Mitsubishi and Mazda ranks highest re safety. Is the Triton a better option re capable servicing in Thailand? Is the issue with Ford Thailand lack of mechanical understanding by technicians or a parts thing or just blown out of proportion?

Ford Ranger Wildtrak has more safety than all other pickups in Thailand. More space in the back seat and a better design. Extra is the best system for sound, phone connection and navigation called Sync 3. [emoji618]consumption is low if you care about that?

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

For a million thb you could get the highest spec from any brand in 2.2litre i think

A lot of lightly used trucks in the classifieds too, you could pick up a full spec wildtrak or hilux revo for well under a million I think, even the more powerful 3.0 or  3.2 etc

I asked earlier and most people think the 2.2 is enough power unless you have to use 4x4 or towing heavy stuff 

Thanks for the replies. 

ANCAP (Australasian Safety Ratings) - /37
The Ranger 36.72

The Triton 36.22 

The Mazda 35.72

The Mrs loved the look of the Ranger and felt very comfortable in the back seat when we took it for a test drive. Even the father-in-law has got on board with the Ranger (Toyota/Isuzu man). Power isn't really an issue with the driving I would be doing. 

My main concern was just wondering if there is any weight to all the comments re issues with Ford or is it more just a trash talk over allegiances with other brands? I really don't mind the Toyotas but the ones I have driven here I seem not to fit in (I'm just shy of 200cm), and they score 34.34 re safety. The Mrs work car is a Triton and I have done a long drive in it and felt quite comfortable. 

In fear of starting a fight (which from what I have seen generally happens here), is their any actual evidence to put to the Ford claims? Or is it just irrational hatred and hearsay? 

Edited by wildewillie89