Aussie guy / Thai girl divorce who is owed a considerable amount of money.

Artisi

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I feel sorry for your friend, she is only suffering what thousands of her countrywomen have done to thousands of western men, including myself.

I can't see any way out of her predicament other than bankruptcy, but she will be feeling just like I do now, I suppose.

so she deserves this? 

a sad response if ever i heard one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Really? She deserves it because some woman took you, eh?  Most of the Western men taken by Thai women were in a buyer-supplier financial relationship with the women. Being taken financially in a financial relationship, should not be a great surprise. Similarly, if that man was being paid for his services by the woman, then there may be some credible argument to her paying for his hospitalization and him refusing to repay her.

Oh dear, another poster that has a comprehension problem when trying to besmirch me.

Where in "While I feel sorry for your friend, she is only suffering what thousands of her countrywomen have done to thousands of western men, including myself" am I saying she "deserved" it?

If you are going to make personal attacks on another poster, it behooves you to be correct in your accusation.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

She has limited assets, 2 children from an earlier marriage and runs a small shop that barely supports her and the kids on a daily basis. She is unaware of what he has in Aust. it was never divulged (I would think purposely)  other than a pension. 

My suggestion  at this stage is to seek legal advice. 

I am assuming you are not classing her children as assets! :tongue: (I know you mentioned them as they affect her necessary expenditure)

What are "limited assets"? Land?? Property? 2 million baht in the bank?

What did she provide as collateral? Anything? Land documents? Vehicle registration? Blocked amount on credit card?

If she genuinely has little or nothing, she would be best to deal directly with the decision maker, the hospital. Lawyers here, especially when dealing with low-status Thais, tend to be an expensive waste of space. If she contacts the hospital, she should make an offer, e.g. 1000 Baht a month for 3 years, that reflects her circumstances. This is Asia, deal with the decision maker.

She should also give them as much information (address, income, assets) as she possibly can about her husband. Hospitals are not likely to use foreign debt collectors but might if they think it is worth it.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, another poster that has a comprehension problem when trying to besmirch me.

Where in "While I feel sorry for your friend, she is only suffering what thousands of her countrywomen have done to thousands of western men, including myself" am I saying she "deserved" it?

If you are going to make personal attacks on another poster, it behooves you to be correct in your accusation.

you know exactly what you meant when posting, sad you are backpedaling now.

His wife isn't responsible for what hookers or  Thai scammers do just because she's Thai. 

I was was going to ask how much of a hospital bill you could run up in Thailand. I spent a week in Bangkok hospital, part of the time in ECU, nearly died and didn't top ฿120k. Broke 7 bones in Ubon and was treated for around the same price. 

Doesn't Oz insurance cover you when you travel? My Dutch insurance covered all except ฿80 for a cane. He should see if he has any coverage that would pay for it. 

If he has a decent job he should be able to cover that in a few months without that much discomfort. Isn't $3500 AUS six months of beer money in Australia?

3 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

you know exactly what you meant when posting, sad you are backpedaling now.

So now you are psychic and can read my mind across the planet!  

I suggest you refrain from continuing your little feud with me.

Rule 7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh come now tbl. The attack was not on you personally it was on 'thaibeachlovers'. You could be someone we will never meet up with.

10 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

His wife isn't responsible for what hookers or  Thai scammers do just because she's Thai. 

I was was going to ask how much of a hospital bill you could run up in Thailand. I spent a week in Bangkok hospital, part of the time in ECU, nearly died and didn't top ฿120k. Broke 7 bones in Ubon and was treated for around the same price. 

Doesn't Oz insurance cover you when you travel? My Dutch insurance covered all except ฿80 for a cane. He should see if he has any coverage that would pay for it. 

If he has a decent job he should be able to cover that in a few months without that much discomfort. Isn't $3500 AUS six months of beer money in Australia?

I was was going to ask how much of a hospital bill you could run up in Thailand

I was in a private, but not luxurious hospital in Lamphun to have iv for bronchitis. Only three nights and it would have cost me 52,000 baht if I hadn't had insurance.

I think you were exceptionally lucky that your stay in ICU was so cheap.

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Oh come now tbl. The attack was not on you personally it was on 'thaibeachlovers'. You could be someone we will never meet up with.

LOL.

The point is that personal attacks are flaming by definition, and waste pixels and drive space on off topic and pointless replies.

Therefore I hope I don't have to respond to any more such on this thread.

5 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I know a lot of girls that got ATM's installed right between the tops of their thighs.  Does she have one of those?

I'd love to know what the bank staff say after yet another farang comes in with some young Thai girl to hand over large amounts of readies to her bank account.

They have probably seen them coming in with a few different farangs and may have a problem keeping a straight face till the farang and his temporary partner leave the building.

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was was going to ask how much of a hospital bill you could run up in Thailand

I was in a private, but not luxurious hospital in Lamphun to have iv for bronchitis. Only three nights and it would have cost me 52,000 baht if I hadn't had insurance.

I think you were exceptionally lucky that your stay in ICU was so cheap.

I was in hospital In Chiang Mai for 3 days and 2 nights, 1 night in the ward (emergency), 2nd night in a private room (wife as nurse).

Antibiotics, drips, pain killers, blood tests, x-rays, ultrasounds ......... just over 3,000bht, without the private room would have been just over 2,000bht.

And that was with 'foreigner' double pricing.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

The point is that personal attacks are flaming by definition, and waste pixels and drive space on off topic and pointless replies.

Therefore I hope I don't have to respond to any more such on this thread.

Your oversensitivity is what is wasting pixels. Everybody understood exactly what you meant with that post, so either we are all psychics or you should have worded it differently. 

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd love to know what the bank staff say after yet another farang comes in with some young Thai girl to hand over large amounts of readies to her bank account.

Off topic

I can answer that, met a lovely teller in Siam bank, she wanted to give me her phone number after seeing my bank book.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

She will have to pay 50%, but if she has an influential friend she maybe able to negotiate a smaller percentage!l The hospital can ruin her credit until paid unless she negotiates a settlement. I had a friend barter with the hospital and teach English classes until the debt was finished. I've learned in Thailand never sign for anyone.

A very unfortunate event, I think the only thing she can do is learn from her mistakes, i.e. NEVER sign anything for anyone, as the exposure to risk is too easy, its OK to say NO

I do hope she can keep chipping away at him, and hopefully he can pay it for her, but it takes all kinds, and it would appear that he is that "kind" inclined.

Sorry for her that she cared so much for this scumbag, and really not necessary for all of the disgruntled TVF members comparing their own with Thai's, you created your own problems by trusting people, in your cases, Thai's, it's a world wide thing you know, so learn from your mistakes and move forward, your bitching moaning and growing is just showing that your wound isn't healing.

5 minutes ago, firestar said:

Your oversensitivity is what is wasting pixels. Everybody understood exactly what you meant with that post, so either we are all psychics or you should have worded it differently. 

Bicker away, by all means, but it achieves nothing, ergo it is pointless and a waste of people's time reading it instead of something relevant to the discussion we should be having..

I'm sure you have some valid and informative information to help the OP with their problem, so get it out there for all of us to read and discuss.

:smile:

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

The outstanding amount she is stuck with is B100 000 plus - he did cough up with an initial payment but leaving her to sign-off for the outstanding balance. 

Have already advised her, he pays the balance plus some extra or no divorce or see her in court in Thailand. 

That's nothing. He should be able to pay this back working 1 month as a parking attendant in Australia.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bicker away, by all means, but it achieves nothing, ergo it is pointless and a waste of people's time reading it instead of something relevant to the discussion we should be having..

I'm sure you have some valid and informative information to help the OP with their problem, so get it out there for all of us to read and discuss.

:smile:

As your thinly veiled scorned "som nom na" helped the OP? Or the subsequent discussion with multiple members? Try to live by what you preach before lecturing others... seeya

14 minutes ago, tomwct said:

She will have to pay 50%, but if she has an influential friend she maybe able to negotiate a smaller percentage!l The hospital can ruin her credit until paid unless she negotiates a settlement. I had a friend barter with the hospital and teach English classes until the debt was finished. I've learned in Thailand never sign for anyone.

Where did you get the 50% from? If she has signed as a guarantor or provided title deeds or vehicle log books as collateral (we don't know the OP has not clarified), then surely she would be liable for 100%. Particularly if the husband has left the country permanently.

The hospital can certainly ruin her credit but if as the OP says, she is simply living a subsistence existence (we don't know the OP has not clarified), then there is no credit to be ruined. Her existence will be cash in, cash out.

I am not sure if the OP is asking in relation to her position as debt guarantor or as wife (we don't know the OP has not clarified).

As much as I feel sorry for your friend the thing that must be looked at is what will it cost your friend to try and chase and collect this money that she is now responsible for. From my reading this guy is on a pension so he is not working and the cost of a lawyer and debt collector to chase this would not be worth the time because your friend would lose what she is chasing plus more in legal fees. Has the guy been in contact asking for a divorce? Does your friend have any contact details to the guy. My advise would be to cut your loss as far as the money goes but if you can contact him then do so and inform him that you want a divorce and that you are willing to have a consensual divorce which can only be done in Thailand at any district office (for those that do not know a consensual divorce is a Thai divorce where both parties agree and meet at a district office with 2 witnesses) and in the paperwork it asks about children, property and finance, know if he wants the divorce to proceed then he must make arrangements about the financial side or there is no divorce.

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

As much as I feel sorry for your friend the thing that must be looked at is what will it cost your friend to try and chase and collect this money that she is now responsible for. From my reading this guy is on a pension so he is not working and the cost of a lawyer and debt collector to chase this would not be worth the time because your friend would lose what she is chasing plus more in legal fees. Has the guy been in contact asking for a divorce? Does your friend have any contact details to the guy. My advise would be to cut your loss as far as the money goes but if you can contact him then do so and inform him that you want a divorce and that you are willing to have a consensual divorce which can only be done in Thailand at any district office (for those that do not know a consensual divorce is a Thai divorce where both parties agree and meet at a district office with 2 witnesses) and in the paperwork it asks about children, property and finance, know if he wants the divorce to proceed then he must make arrangements about the financial side or there is no divorce.

Correct about the legal fees. Would end up owing more than she got.

Can refuse to divorce, but after 2 or 3 years he can get one anyway through abandonment, unless she can prove he defrauded her in court.

What comes around goes around,as far as im concerned its 50/50.when you live by the gun you can die by the gun,this applies to each and every one of us.Sometimes you win and sometimes the unwritten  law of the land bites us back.take it on the chin,there is no answer to this scenario,it was adopted in Thailand by Thai people, and so it stays here.Cant cry over spilt milk.Fortunately for her she is in the minority of losers.Talk to the Bangkok woman with the school,how to win and marry a farang  with money and just move on with the money,done and dusted.Better luck next time,Im sure of that.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Where did you get the 50% from? If she has signed as a guarantor or provided title deeds or vehicle log books as collateral (we don't know the OP has not clarified), then surely she would be liable for 100%. Particularly if the husband has left the country permanently.

The hospital can certainly ruin her credit but if as the OP says, she is simply living a subsistence existence (we don't know the OP has not clarified), then there is no credit to be ruined. Her existence will be cash in, cash out.

I am not sure if the OP is asking in relation to her position as debt guarantor or as wife (we don't know the OP has not clarified).

50% settlement is normal for Thai's. Even if she didn't sign, she would be responsible for 50% only because they were married. Any debtor would love to get 50%. Many Thai girls will sign for their boyfriends to buy a motorcycle and

this piece of garbage takes off and never pays a penny. She's responsible, but they would gladly take a 50% settlement.