North Korea not ready to meet with South Korea in Russia: agencies

webfact

North Korea not ready to meet with South Korea in Russia: agencies

r5.jpg

FILE PHOTO: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un watches the launch of a Hwasong-12 missile in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on September 16, 2017. KCNA via REUTERS/File Photo

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Politicians from North and South Korea will not hold direct talks in Russia on Monday about Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programme despite attending the same event and being urged to do so by Moscow, Russian news agencies said on Sunday.

Valentina Matviyenko, speaker of Russia's upper house of parliament, is due to discuss the missile crisis in separate talks with a deputy head of North Korea's legislature and the head of South Korea's parliament on the sidelines of a congress of parliamentarians in St Petersburg on Monday.

Moscow has called on the two countries to use the opportunity to have their own direct talks to try to narrow their differences.

But the RIA news agency on Sunday cited Piotr Tolstoi, the deputy speaker of the Russian lower house of parliament, and an unnamed member of North Korea's delegation as saying there would not be any direct talks.

The unnamed North Korean delegate was quoted as saying that U.S. pressure on Pyongyang and U.S. and South Korean military exercises meant preconditions for such talks had not been met.

Konstantin Kosachyov, head of the upper house of parliament's foreign affairs committee, said Moscow would try again on Monday to encourage the two delegations to hold face-to-face talks despite the lack of progress.

Russian news agencies quoted him as saying that the North Korean delegation had so far declined to hold such talks, while the South Korean delegation had said it was ready for such a meeting.

"We will definitely not try to coerce or talk somebody into anything," the Interfax news agency cited Kosachyov as saying.

"(But) it will be pity, both on the human and political level, if another opportunity to de-escalate tensions in relations between North Korea and South Korea is missed."

North Korea's nuclear tests and missile launches have stirred global tensions and prompted several rounds of international sanctions at the U.N. Security Council.

A de-escalation plan, backed by Russia and China, would see North Korea suspend its ballistic missile programme and the United States and South Korea simultaneously call a moratorium on large-scale missile exercises, both moves aimed at paving the way for multilateral talks.

(Reporting by Andrew Osborn; Editing by Richard Balmforth)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-16

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

The unnamed North Korean delegate was quoted as saying that U.S. pressure on Pyongyang and U.S. and South Korean military exercises meant preconditions for such talks had not been met.

Any excuse to continue down the path for nuclear weapons.  They've already said they aren't interested in negotiating.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Absolutely.  That's what a maniacal dictator needs.  Otherwise, he's gone. Sadly, it's his citizens that pay the price for his "self-preservation".

I was talking about the North Korean people's self-preservation, as Trump looks for an excuse to upstage Harry Truman. Their savvy leader's refusal to abandon his nuclear capability will prevent millions of them from becoming toast. 

Edited by Krataiboy

28 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I was talking about the North Korean people's self-preservation, as Trump looks for an excuse to upstage Harry Truman. Their savvy leader's refusal to abandon his nuclear capability will prevent millions of them from becoming toast. 

Right....So South Africa abandoned their nuclear weapons program and just after that, millions of them were toast?  LOL.

Maybe NK could become like the south.  An economic powerhouse rather than one of the worst performing economies on the planet. LOL.  They'll need a new leader to accomplish that.

53 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Right....So South Africa abandoned their nuclear weapons program and just after that, millions of them were toast?  LOL.

Maybe NK could become like the south.  An economic powerhouse rather than one of the worst performing economies on the planet. LOL.  They'll need a new leader to accomplish that.

53 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

As far as I know, South Africa - even under Apartheid when perhaps it should have been - was never on the US hit list for regime change. Libya and Iraq were and their leaders' decision to abandon WMD's opened the door to invasion and destruction.

Kim Jong Un, for all his faults, cannot be accused - as, unfortunately, you can - of failing to learn the harsh lesson of recent US imperial conquest.

Edited by Krataiboy

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Unfortunately in my opinion you are dead wrong. His not abandoning his nuclear program puts all 28 million at risk.

The next missile launch will probobly be his last. I dont see it going on with out premtive strikes.

The usa has had all the time in the world to set a strategy. Now how this plays time will tell.

Kim is going to die. There is no other outcome. 

This is just my opinion

3 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

Unfortunately in my opinion you are dead wrong. His not abandoning his nuclear program puts all 28 million at risk.

The next missile launch will probobly be his last. I dont see it going on with out premtive strikes.

The usa has had all the time in the world to set a strategy. Now how this plays time will tell.

This is just my opinion

And I respect your opinion, though I believe (and fervently hope, for all our sakes) you are mistaken.

13 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

As far as I know, South Africa - even under Apartheid when perhaps it should have been - was never on the US hit list for regime change. Libya and Iraq were and their leaders' decision to abandon WMD's opened the door to invasion and destruction.

Kim Jong Un, for all his faults, cannot be accused - as, unfortunately, you can - of failing to learn the harsh lesson of recent US imperial conquest.

US hit list for regime change?  LOL.  Libya's mess didn't come about because of this "hit list". I'm sure you know that.  Same with Syria.  Iraq 2 was a mess.

Kim is a brutal dictator.  Plain and simple.  He mistreats his own people, kills many of them, and commits crimes all across the world.  Yet, some here still support him.  Bizarre. 

The world would love for Kim to stop with the threats, stop the weapons development, become a good member of our global society.  No reason for even thinking about regime change then.  Right? LOL

You focus all your anger towards the US....as normal.

Blame this on the US. :cheesy:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/16/politics/north-korea-negotiations-trump-tillerson/index.html

A North Korean official reaffirmed Pyongyang's commitment to developing a long-range intercontinental ballistic missile capable of reaching "all the way to the East coast of the mainland US," on Monday, telling CNN that the rogue nation is currently not interested in diplomacy with the US until it achieves that goal.

Talk about provocation....

12 hours ago, quadperfect said:

This is just my opinion

I doubt any nation in the world would idly sit by while a rogue nation with a brutal dictator develops nuclear missiles so they can attack that country at will.  Especially one that does so like NK.  Their video showing NYC being nuked is over the top.

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I doubt any nation in the world would idly sit by while a rogue nation with a brutal dictator develops nuclear missiles so they can attack that country at will.  Especially one that does so like NK.  Their video showing NYC being nuked is over the top.

'...but never you mind what we have a track record of. That's different. That's always different.'

21 minutes ago, baboon said:

'...but never you mind what we have a track record of. That's different. That's always different.'

Track record of working well with dozens and dozens of nations around the world?  You're right!  Completely different from NK. LOL

59 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Track record of working well with dozens and dozens of nations around the world?  You're right!  Completely different from NK. LOL

Track record of intimidation, dirty tricks, covert operations, out and out invasions and renaging on deals. I know I am right and don't need confirmation from yourself.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Track record of intimidation, dirty tricks, covert operations, out and out invasions and renaging on deals. I know I am right and don't need confirmation from yourself.

Agreed.  NK"s track record hasn't been very good.  I'm sure SK is tired of the invasions and covert operations.  Not to mention the intimidation.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

US hit list for regime change?  LOL.  Libya's mess didn't come about because of this "hit list". I'm sure you know that.  Same with Syria.  Iraq 2 was a mess.

Kim is a brutal dictator.  Plain and simple.  He mistreats his own people, kills many of them, and commits crimes all across the world.  Yet, some here still support him.  Bizarre. 

The world would love for Kim to stop with the threats, stop the weapons development, become a good member of our global society.  No reason for even thinking about regime change then.  Right? LOL

You focus all your anger towards the US....as normal.

And you seem totally blind to the reality of US imperialism.

Libya was on a well-publicised list of seven countries countries earmarked by the US administration for regime change at the time when the attack on Iraq was imminent.So was Syria, in which the US had already meddled to bring their puppet Shah to power.

I suggest you Google the video (available from numerous sources) in which retired US general,Wesley Clark famously lets the cat out of the bag.

Wikipedia has a much longer list of nations which the US has either attacked overtly or covertly since emerging from WW2 as the world's greatest military superpower - a status underlined when two nuclear weapons were used against innocent civilians for the first (and one hopes last) time, slaughtering hundreds of thousands of old men, women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

If, as an apparently fervent supporter of American foreign policy, you are feeling really masochistic, I recommend the following link, which catalogues 29 countries deliberatedly destabalised - typically to help achieve regime change - by the CIA and other elements of the US intelligence community.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Central_Intelligence_Agency

As for "focusing my anger" on the US. . .  I lived in Britain through the horrors of WW2 in England and appreciate the contribution of the US in defeating the Axis forces. It is more in sorrow than anger that I feel it necessary to protest our old ally's ongoing quest for total world domination at almost any price.

Edited by Krataiboy

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

And you seem totally blind to the reality of US imperialism.

Libya was on a well-publicised list of seven countries countries earmarked by the US administration for regime change at the time when the attack on Iraq was imminent.So was Syria, in which the US had already meddled to bring their puppet Shah to power.

I suggest you Google the video (available from numerous sources) in which retired US general,Wesley Clark famously lets the cat out of the bag.

Wikipedia has a much longer list of nations which the US has either attacked overtly or covertly since emerging from WW2 as the world's greatest military superpower - a status underlined when two nuclear weapons were used against innocent civilians for the first (and one hopes last) time, slaughtering hundreds of thousands of old men, women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

If, as an apparently fervent supporter of American foreign policy, you are feeling really masochistic, I recommend the following link, which catalogues 29 countries deliberatedly destabalised - typically to help achieve regime change - by the CIA and other elements of the US intelligence community.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Central_Intelligence_Agency

As for "focusing my anger" on the US. . .  I lived in Britain through the horrors of WW2 in England and appreciate the contribution of the US in defeating the Axis forces. It is more in sorrow than anger that I feel it necessary to protest our old ally's ongoing quest for total world domination at almost any price.

US imperialism?  Please list one country the US has recently invaded and annexed or has direct political control. Just one.  Otherwise, your term is way off.

You'll have to give me a credible link that shows where Libya was on well publicised list earmarked for regime change.  Credible links only.  Wesley Clark doesn't cut it.  Put that into a Google search and the first 2 pages are filled with conspiracy theory websites. LOL.  It's been debunked also.  Easy to find that out.

You're going back to Japan?  Wow.  What a stretch.  Can we stick to recent history.  And closer to the topic?

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

US imperialism?  Please list one country the US has recently invaded and annexed or has direct political control. Just one.  Otherwise, your term is way off.

You'll have to give me a credible link that shows where Libya was on well publicised list earmarked for regime change.  Credible links only.  Wesley Clark doesn't cut it.  Put that into a Google search and the first 2 pages are filled with conspiracy theory websites. LOL.  It's been debunked also.  Easy to find that out.

You're going back to Japan?  Wow.  What a stretch.  Can we stick to recent history.  And closer to the topic?

None are so blind as they who will not see.