Pattaya to U-Tapao transport choices

NanLaew

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Fare was 980 baht

There seems to be a big difference between the fare from Pattaya to U Tapao and that in the opposite direction. I was meeting someone in the Arrivals Hall the other morning and there are at least 3 desks offering taxi/minibus to Pattaya and other destinations for 250baht - is that just a 'come-on' fare that gets you as far as the main road, or is the real problem finding taxis in Pattaya willing to make the trip for that price?

12 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

There seems to be a big difference between the fare from Pattaya to U Tapao and that in the opposite direction. I was meeting someone in the Arrivals Hall the other morning and there are at least 3 desks offering taxi/minibus to Pattaya and other destinations for 250baht - is that just a 'come-on' fare that gets you as far as the main road, or is the real problem finding taxis in Pattaya willing to make the trip for that price?

That fare takes you to your home or hotel in Jomtien and Pattaya. 10 passengers is 2500 Baht, so happiness all round.

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

There's no difference. The 980 baht I paid was a private hire in my "new-found brother in laws" late model Innova via Grab taxi, not any sort of ride share. If I went online and tried to book a Grab car to come and get me from U-Tapao and take me to Pattaya, they would probably charge upwards of 900 baht.... and I would have to wait.

The minivans at the arrival hall all show 250 baht one-way and pretty much that's what they charge to go from Central Festival or wherever your chosen minivan operates from in Pattaya to U-Tapao. If you dig around the forum for U-Tapao travel related stuff, the notorious 'meter taxi' and others will charge upwards of 900 baht for a one-way to U-Tapao.

The current market rate for minivans is 250 baht one/way in either direction.

The current market rate for Grab cars and taxis is around 900 baht one-way in either direction.

It is what it is.

Up to you.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:51 PM, NanLaew said:

And what rates are coming up?

Uber 800 baht. But they have a promotion if you download Uber on you mobile for the first time you get 75 baht discount on your first 3 rides. The public bus service from Bangkok to Pattaya is also giving out Uber promotion leaflets (same deal) when you buy a ticket. At least they were a week ago when I got the bus from Ekkamai to Pattaya. 

32 minutes ago, orlov said:

Uber 800 baht. But they have a promotion if you download Uber on you mobile for the first time you get 75 baht discount on your first 3 rides. The public bus service from Bangkok to Pattaya is also giving out Uber promotion leaflets (same deal) when you buy a ticket. At least they were a week ago when I got the bus from Ekkamai to Pattaya. 

Good tips there. Nice to see the "app-enabled, ride-hailing" service that the both local cops and taxi (un)cooperatives have deemed to be illegal still sticking to their guns. I am a new user of Grab so happy with that for now but if Uber consistently beat them by 100 baht, then I guess I'll try them too. Good to see some degree of competition. It would be great to see taxi/limo fares for U-Tapao down to around 550 - 650 baht o/w which is much more realistic. Once again, depends on demand and with the very slim chance of a seasonal uptick in foreign charters versus LCC's flat-lining, that won't happen anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good tips there. Nice to see the "app-enabled, ride-hailing" service that the both local cops and taxi (un)cooperatives have deemed to be illegal still sticking to their guns. I am a new user of Grab so happy with that for now but if Uber consistently beat them by 100 baht, then I guess I'll try them too. Good to see some degree of competition. It would be great to see taxi/limo fares for U-Tapao down to around 550 - 650 baht o/w which is much more realistic. Once again, depends on demand and with the very slim chance of a seasonal uptick in foreign charters versus LCC's flat-lining, that won't happen anytime soon.

Sorry the deal I mentioned were with Grab, not Uber. Apologies, my mistake. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, orlov said:

That is a recent fare?  In April I used Uber and it cost 600 Baht to U-Tapao

On 10/20/2017 at 11:31 AM, AlexCanada said:

Do you need to show a ticket confirmation that you are flying Air Asia?  

nope, only the timetable is created to match departing and arriving AA flights.

Otherwise it is first come, first served

9 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

nope, only the timetable is created to match departing and arriving AA flights.

Otherwise it is first come, first served

For AirAsia's shuttle you'd have to specify transfer to/from Central when booking your ticket

aa.png

On 10/17/2017 at 3:57 PM, digbeth said:

U Tapao has been there about as long as Pattaya and is one of the reason why Pattaya has a thriving 'industry' 

Pattaya and Utapao around the same time 1960's to early 1970's

pat65.jpg

utapao.jpg

Edited by amvet
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, digbeth said:

For AirAsia's shuttle you'd have to specify transfer to/from Central when booking your ticket

aa.png

You CAN book the transfer when you book your ticket online, but there is no NEED to do so. You can just show up at the Central festival location and buy your ticket there (not sure if they sell seats a day before already).

At U-Tapao, there are several (not only AirAsia's) counters offering Minivan services and they all scream for your business

35 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

You CAN book the transfer when you book your ticket online, but there is no NEED to do so. You can just show up at the Central festival location and buy your ticket there (not sure if they sell seats a day before already).

At U-Tapao, there are several (not only AirAsia's) counters offering Minivan services and they all scream for your business

Or get to Sukemvit by motorcycle taxi (20 baht) the vans that run there to Pattaya were 10baht in 1968 and are up to 60 baht now or it may be 100 my wife and I can't agree as it's been a while since we took one.  Ask a Thai person.  "Lote du Pattaya te ni?"  Pattaya is pronounced "Patty ya" in Thai not "Pat tai ya." 

10 hours ago, amvet said:

Or get to Sukemvit by motorcycle taxi (20 baht) the vans that run there to Pattaya were 10baht in 1968 and are up to 60 baht now or it may be 100 my wife and I can't agree as it's been a while since we took one.  Ask a Thai person.  "Lote du Pattaya te ni?"  Pattaya is pronounced "Patty ya" in Thai not "Pat tai ya." 

Haven't seen any motorcycle taxi's lurking around the terminals.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 5:26 AM, NanLaew said:

Awesome find there JJ! I'll add that LINE and phone number to the 'check this out' list.

450 baht for a Lambo to UTP aint bad at all... but better not have any checked bags!

Hard to believe that this is a 2017 price. maybe somebody who tried to use their services recently can report?

• 4 months later...