Pattaya to U-Tapao transport choices

NanLaew

6 hours ago, tolsti said:

if you are flying Air Asia then they have a minibus which leaves from beside Central

250 Baht pp. Incoming same price from a variety of operators; Air Asia included; that will take you direct to hotel or home. Air Asia minibus was clean and safe.

Interesting news in today's BP Business section that expansion plans have been delayed again due to shortcomings discovered after an inspection. The expansion will bring more scheduled flights from China ... eventually.

12 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Not to many choices when you arrive at U-Tapao  mini bus or taxi I had a 3 year old so taxi for me I think it was either 1500 or 1800 thb in June much cheaper going back 800-1000 thb as you can negotiate before traveling . 

1500-1800 baht?! It's a 1000 baht from suvarnbahumi!

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Leave it to the Thais to build an airport near pattaya, which no one  knows where it is, and it is virtually inaccessible without a car.

Errr people do know where it is and easy to get to by public transport - bus/taxi  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Leave it to the Thais to build an airport near pattaya, which no one  knows where it is, and it is virtually inaccessible without a car.

U Tapao has been there about as long as Pattaya and is one of the reason why Pattaya has a thriving 'industry' 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soistalker said:

as far as I know I WAS NOT the Thais who built the airport....AMERICANS did for Vietnam war

3 hours ago, soistalker said:

Leave it the Thais to build a massive exhibition centre and concert venue near Bangkok (Muang Thong Thani/Impact Arena), which is virtually inaccessible without a car. Or a massive bus station serving the north east (Mor Chit). Or or or......

15 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Not to many choices when you arrive at U-Tapao  mini bus or taxi I had a 3 year old so taxi for me I think it was either 1500 or 1800 thb in June much cheaper going back 800-1000 thb as you can negotiate before traveling . 

so its 1500 or 1,800 baht U-Tapao to pattaya. a 30/40 minute or so journey

Pattaya to  suvarnbahumi! is 1,000 baht  see post number 9, whats that a 75 minute journey

rayong area to suvarnbahumi  i pay 1,450 baht for that journey a 90 minutes or so journey

Looking at Grab, the cheapest is 990 baht so they are already playing the same, high-rate game as the 'regular' taxi and limo services. Yes, it's absurd that a 25-30 minute ride is on par cost-wise with a trip to Suvarnabhumi, but it is what it is. Until the frequency and number of flights picks up, then it won't change much.

Anyone know where exactly the AirAsia minibus service booking office/waiting area 'beside' at Central is? Beach or Second or Soi 9?

FWIW, for those wanting to rent a car on arrival at U-Tapao, there are 4 operators in the arrivals hall with Avis, Thai Rent A Car, ASAP and SUS. Notably, the last one offers cash-only options... well their sign board did.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Looking at Grab, the cheapest is 990 baht so they are already playing the same, high-rate game as the 'regular' taxi and limo services. Yes, it's absurd that a 25-30 minute ride is on par cost-wise with a trip to Suvarnabhumi, but it is what it is. Until the frequency and number of flights picks up, then it won't change much.

Anyone know where exactly the AirAsia minibus service booking office/waiting area 'beside' at Central is? Beach or Second or Soi 9?

FWIW, for those wanting to rent a car on arrival at U-Tapao, there are 4 operators in the arrivals hall with Avis, Thai Rent A Car, ASAP and SUS. Notably, the last one offers cash-only options... well their sign board did.

From Beach Road take the Soi that is on the left of Central. It's about 100 Metres up the soi. There is a timetable on display. Extra travel time is allowed on weekends.

Built as a military airport. Diplomatically better for That's not to have US planes near Bangkok at DMK so sent them far away. Us troops started coming to small fishing village Pattaya for R&R and the rest followed. I heard you can catch a local bus cheap. (I think on Trip Advisor)

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

19 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Errr people do know where it is and easy to get to by public transport - bus/taxi  :thumbsup:

Can you expand on the public transport options. I know that there is a public bus service as far as Queen Sirikit hospital. Is there another bus or baht bus that takes you from there to the airport?

16 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Can you expand on the public transport options. I know that there is a public bus service as far as Queen Sirikit hospital. Is there another bus or baht bus that takes you from there to the airport?

there are local tuk tuks, i am not sure if they are easy for non Thai speakers to find though.

next time i am that way i will look out for baht buses going out to the headland from Queen Sirikit

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, soistalker said:

That's pretty much on a par with the American tourist who asked why on earth they'd built Windsor Castle under the flight path for Heathrow.

12 hours ago, steve187 said:

so its 1500 or 1,800 baht U-Tapao to pattaya. a 30/40 minute or so journey

Pattaya to  suvarnbahumi! is 1,000 baht  see post number 9, whats that a 75 minute journey

rayong area to suvarnbahumi  i pay 1,450 baht for that journey a 90 minutes or so journey

It looks to me like a taxi cartel at UT when you arrive its no where near the main road hence the price .

35 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

It looks to me like a taxi cartel at UT when you arrive its no where near the main road hence the price .

Calling it a cartel is bit of a stretch and even the location doesn't matter when the only carriers using it are low-cost and charters. LCC's don't do ground transportation beyond the minibus and charter operators hire private buses. Until it (ever) gets regular airline flights, the ground transportation options will be dire and private-hire expensive and most locals will count on friends and relatives to do the needful. I was surprised to see the car rental desks but that will be the option next time.

Thanks for the tips.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:21 PM, champers said:

250 Baht pp. Incoming same price from a variety of operators; Air Asia included; that will take you direct to hotel or home. Air Asia minibus was clean and safe.

Do you need to show a ticket confirmation that you are flying Air Asia?  

For AlexCanada (quote function not working for me):

We didn't show our tickets on the outward leg; just coughed up the money. I don't know if this is the norm. Their minibus journeys are timed for AirAsia flights. 

If you are flying with someone else, I don't know how I would proceed. Sorry.

On 17/10/2017 at 2:21 PM, soistalker said:

It's an ex military air base from the Vietnam war days. We all know where it is and I use it whenever I can. It does local and international flights.

On 18/10/2017 at 6:49 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Rubbish. Just book your regular driver in advance. There is no cartel except in your imagination